Sign in to follow this  
laine

DLA Refusal

Hi and Happy Holidays to you all. I have just received a letter saying my application for DLA for my son who has aspergers, autism, dyslexia, discalcula, audio processing dissorder and dyspraxia, oh and global learning difficulties has been turned down, because of a long list of kop outs. I am just wondering did anyone else experience this, and appeal. Is it worth appealing, and will i have to take my son with me. If this was the case i would not bother as the stress would be too much for him.

Honestly i really dont know how they could have done this as the diagnosing clinician has not sent his report in yet, so they have turned him down on the grounds of nothing really. These people make me soooooo angry, anyway i would be most grateful for any replies,and ideas of what to put for an appeal

Lainexxxx

"Honestly i really dont know how they could have done this as the diagnosing clinician has not sent his report in yet, so they have turned him down on the grounds of nothing really"

Could this be the problem?

When I applied for DLA, I was advised by the benefits office to apply for Carers allowance at the same time. I was turned down for CA before the DLA had been resolved, but when it came through, I just wrote back to them and said - here is the DLA can you have another look at my claim for CA and they awarded it straight away and backdated it.

Also, did you include any profeessional reports/anything from the school records/anything independent to back up your initial claim - this seems to help as well.

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY APPEAL - from your list of DX it is pretty obvious that you should be entitled to something at least.

Hope this helps and good luck with it!

Love and hugs Phoebe

Yes - definitly appeal. It sounds as if you have been turned down purely because they haven't seen enough evidence of your sons problems. The experts report will make a huge difference.

You will not have to take your son with you to appeal and it is worth thousands of pounds to him and the money is meant to help him so you should do it. It might be worth contacting the CITIZENS ADVICE BUREAU as they will help you prepare your appeal.

Good Luck!

hello i send them letters from docter slt dx paper hv plus a few other thinges and they said she dosnt need any more help than a child of the same age i am appealing this and will see what happens they all so wrote to the school all the best jill

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> you deffinetly need to appeal i only went to reeces appeal the end of nov and i was really streesd about it but they were lovely people and they had already awarded him low rate mobility before we even arrived and decided before we left that he would get high rate care alowance. if u do it put across all the worst cases. as they then listen good luck >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

You can ask for a statement of decisions which lists why they turned it down,you can insist that they take into considerstion the Clinician's report.

You can ask for a reconsideration,or you can appeal.Your chils won't have to attend.xx

Ask to have a copy of all the evidence they used to make their decision. Sometimes something will come up in that. We were turned down first time and when we got the paperwork the school's evidence was outrageous. We then asked for reconsideration and disbuted everything the school had written providing evidence to back up our claim. Luckily they changed their decision to give her high rate care and low mobility and we didn't have to go to appeal.

Good luck.

Lisa

Hi

It's definitely worth appealing. I applied for DLA even before my son had a diagnosis and got it, which I wasn't expecting! I had help filling out my form. However, I made sure a wrote on the summary page 'a day in the life ...'. It wasn't pleasant, but was entirely factual. I also photocopied a couple of relevant reports which backed up the kind of behaviours that I'd written about. I would find it shocking that if the DWP saw reports backing up your child's diagnoses, how could they turn down your application. Try again and go for it!

C.