Sign in to follow this  
UltraMum

Guardian article

'I felt like my head was exploding'

A 12-year-old pupil with autism describes his traumatic first year in a new secondary school

Worrying as j goes up to secondary in september - we've got the annual review in a fortnight to decide his support - why do i feel stressed? :unsure:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/egweekly/s...1969412,00.html

OMG! I can't bear the idea of my 7 year old ever going to secondary school. I had a rough time there and don't have half the problems he has.

On the plus side it does sound as if things are improving a little for Joel now. I hate the fact that it seems to be a case of "wait and see what problems arise" with schools. They should listen to the parents and be better informed so they can plan ahead to try to prevent problems occurring at all e.g all of his teachers should have known that he struggled with instructions and allowed for that.

I dread the thought of high school, my Ds is 8 now but the headteacher has already had a word with me about thinking where to send him as the local school is huge. On the other hand, I found it extremely moving that a 12 year old autistic boy could communicate so perfectly how he was feeling when most 12 year olds wouldn't know where to start. He is very brave to stay in the school and work this thing through and I agree it does sound as if things are improving a little. I also had a rough time at school around this age and dread it happeneing to my son. >:D<<'>

erm, im not surprised, at the least........

id like to say my son is sort of borderline? but was undiagnosed AS/ADD ..year 7 at 1st year of seniors? i wasnt actually sure which one of us us was up for a mental breakdown 1st!!

its pure terrible adjustment for NT kids.......let alone AS and he ended up such a state by end of year i think i was a basket case.........

i still sweat thinking back to be honest *shudder* cant we change subject? :blink: LOL

what a wonderfully articulate boy. puts everything into persepective. it unfortuntely needs more of these kids to speak out and then hopefully the government will listen to them.

my eldest has been struggling with seniors, and yet he goes to one of the best ones available to any child, a good quality grammar school. im dreading my other two ASD'ers going to seniors, as they wont have the same oportunities as my eldest. bullying is already a huge issue for them now :(

What a sad story, poor boy. Many of his experiences are similar to my son's in the past 2 years.

It's a credit for this boy that he could write so well and clearly about them.

Curra