Sign in to follow this  
shamu

Back from our MDT meeting and.....

the agreement is that James is on the autistic spectrum, probably high functioning but will need more evaluation.

I was fine in the meeting but am falling to pieces now :( even though I knew that was the most likely conclusion. I know it will help us start getting the input he needs but I was somehow hoping there was a 1% chance they'd say "oh it's just a phase......"

Shamu

;)

Take time for yourself. We've just had part of our assessment today and also feeling "raw" Have a good cry. As everyone says it doesnt matter how much you are expecting it it is still a shock and you will "grieve"Take care.

Shamu, even when you KNOW in your heart of hearts that it's true, it's still like a punch in the gut when someone confirms it. Don't try to rush yourself, give yourself some time. You will feel better than this very soon. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

We know what it's like because we've all been there too, so you are amongst people who understand. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Take time for yourself. We've just had part of our assessment today and also feeling "raw" Have it outa good cry. As everyone says it doesnt matter how much you are expecting it it is still a shock and you will "grieve"Take care.

madme and shamu,

It is still a shock, you hope your child will the one they made a wrong judgment on. Please cry if you have to, It'll do you good!

We had El's Diagnosis 14 months ago and I knew in my heart a year prior to that, that he was Austistic and it was still a shock. I was crying all over the place, couldn't look at people for the fear that if they were nice to me I would cry! Just do what comes naturally, let it out.

It will take time to adjust, but you will get there!

Big Hugs Lisa xx

>:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Shamu >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Even when deep down you know that autism is the problem the reality of the diagnosis still comes as a shock. You need to allow yourself time to feel the way you feel. We have all been where you are so understand how you are feeling. Like Ellis' mum I cried and cried, particularly if someone was kind to us. That sometimes still happens but only occasionally now!

My thoughts are with you, Elun >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

This is such a horrible time, it's still very fresh in my mind how I felt, and it's well over a year ago now.

Be gentle with yourself, cry, scream, lash about. Let it out. >:D<<'>

You will accept it, sadly tho things still crop up and bite you in the bum from time to time & bring it all back again.

Take care >:D<<'>

Hi

You've got past one massive hurdle, which is obtaining a diagnosis. I felt like I'd been to hell and back to get a diagnosis for my son. Once, we'd got that, I knew it was really only the start of things, but it was like a door opening. Straight away I asked the consultant "what happens now?". She explained that Robert would now get X, Y and Z support for eg SALT, OT, etc. The other thing was this is was recognition that I wasn't off my head, I was right in knowing that Robert did have something wrong. I felt relieved and recall feeling almost euphoric phoning everyone to tell them the 'great' news that we'd finally got a diagnosis, then by the evening felt very low and sat and howled!

I remember very well being given the diagnosis and I howled uncontrollably. Poor consultant was apologetic. When I managed to compose myself I told her that I was crying not because I was upset, but because I was massively relieved!

Have to say that even 8 months on, I still get emotional about it. I then realise how lucky we are to have a name for Robert's condition, especially at a young age (he was 4.5 at the time of diagnosis).

You're bound to have very mixed emotions. But, you've got past the biggest hurdle. From now on there will be other battles, but ones which will more than likely be a lot easier with a diagnosis.

Best wishes

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir

Yip, take each day as it comes. If you need to cry then do it. If you have any questions at all -just come on this forum and someone is bound to be able to help you.

Take care

Forbsay

x

Hi

You've got past one massive hurdle, which is obtaining a diagnosis. I felt like I'd been to hell and back to get a diagnosis for my son. Once, we'd got that, I knew it was really only the start of things, but it was like a door opening. Straight away I asked the consultant "what happens now?". She explained that Robert would now get X, Y and Z support for eg SALT, OT, etc. The other thing was this is was recognition that I wasn't off my head, I was right in knowing that Robert did have something wrong. I felt relieved and recall feeling almost euphoric phoning everyone to tell them the 'great' news that we'd finally got a diagnosis, then by the evening felt very low and sat and howled!

I remember very well being given the diagnosis and I howled uncontrollably. Poor consultant was apologetic. When I managed to compose myself I told her that I was crying not because I was upset, but because I was massively relieved!

Have to say that even 8 months on, I still get emotional about it. I then realise how lucky we are to have a name for Robert's condition, especially at a young age (he was 4.5 at the time of diagnosis).

You're bound to have very mixed emotions. But, you've got past the biggest hurdle. From now on there will be other battles, but ones which will more than likely be a lot easier with a diagnosis.

Best wishes

Caroline.

Caroline, I read your post and it totally mirrored our experience!!! >:D<<'>

I did the 'great news' calls too, and then had a mini breakdown! :crying:

All you can do is release whatever needs to be cryed, screamed, shouted, thrown out!

Our Diag was just 14 months ago (El was 3 and a half) and every now and then it justs creeps up and bites me on the bum.....and I bite it back harder!! :D

LIFE IS A ROLLERCOASTER!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa xx

Same response here,dx 9mths ago now but i felt just the same,you'll have alot of bad days but also alot of good ones!!I'm just thankful that i can come on here anytime and read posts and know i'm not alone!!

Shamu,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Many of us can understand the complex mix of emotions.

Take care of yourself

K x