Sign in to follow this  
mummy

Eye contact? good or poor?

I have read recently that the results of the ADOS assessment can be determined by whether the child has good eye contact or not.

I have also read many reports from people saying they did not get a diagnosis because their child makes good eye contact.

I work in a special school with many autistic children some severely, and I have yet to come across one who doesn't look at me when i am speaking to them!

My son is diagnosed Asperger's and has never had a problem with eye contact.

Just wondering how many of you have children who are diagnosed autistic spectrum (including Aspergers) but still make good eye contact when spoken to.

J was not diagnosed at first because he had eye contact. However, he never consistantly gave eye contact, and over the years his eye contact has become less frequent.

My son has good eye contact when he's talking to you. When it's you talking to him and he's not interested he doesn't bother. :lol:

my son dx aspergers gives eye contact, but does tend to look away when being spoken to directly. my girl atypical autism, gives good eye contact, but again looks away when spoken to directly.

Hi

My son is 5 and was diagnosed 9 months ago with AS. His eye contact is variable, ranging from complete avoidance to a fixed and inappropriate stare. On the whole, his eye contact is quite good.

C.

I can't make eye contact and listen to someone talk at the same time. It feels uncomfortable (imagine a bad itch translated into vision) and I lose track of what's being said to the point I literally can't understand). If I'm just observing it's a little easier.

Ds1 makes eye contact now and again, if he's relaxed, but it's a lot less than other children his age.

M can give eye contact sometimes but as time goes on its becoming less frequent.He often deliberately turns his face as well as his eyes away when speaking to someone.I find its better when he feels comfortable with someone or he's in a good mood.If he's got the hump he'll rant looking sideways!!

I look at people if I want them to know that they have got my attention, but I'm not very good at 'casually' making eye contact - it's always deliberate.

Kyle's eye contact is really good now. It was worse when he was a toddler, but I got lots of advice when I did the Earlybird course on encouraging eye contact and that really helped.

Sometimes I think he's looking at me but he's really just studying his reflection in my glasses! :D

Ellis's eye contact is great now! We are so happy with his progress, he was awarded HEADTEACHERS PUPIL OF THE WEEK, last week!

He is still not speaking but his use of gesture and eye contact is sooo good, and he barely has a meltdown!

He is so good.

His EC was awful up until eight months ago, he was very light sensitive as well and that has also greatly improved!