Sign in to follow this  
Fagsandbooze

can anyone on this forum speak german?

I studied it in High School, you never forget it, but not enough to help. My daughter is doing an online French course and its free, I will ask her when she gets home what the website is, as I believe you can teach yourself any language.

:)

Updating. My daughter found loads of online courses on the internet just by Googling.

If you have problems once you get over the British Consulate will be very helpful.

We had a British forum member come over to Australia and I was quite surprised how helpful they were.

Perhaps you could ring them and ask them for some tips. They will have some booklets.

Also there is a book by Lonely Planet for each country, and in each book they have quite a lot of basic information including maps etc, to help you get around. I know a lot of my friends have relied on this when travelling to foreign places.

All the best

F :)

Edited by Frangipani

As most of my German comes from watching war films, probably best say 'no' - I'm not sure how much use demanding that prisoners return to their huts would be when buying bread in a supermarket :lol:

Alas, although I did introductory German at university, I managed to pass the exam without a trace of the language (the advantages of multiple choice! :) ). One of the few words which stuck, is kopfschmerzen which means "headache".

When are you going? Do you have time to do a course just to get the basics before you go? An intensive survival course would give you a bit of confidence to get by in everyday situations.

It's a big step - good luck with everything!

K x

I could speak German quite well, even spent 3 weeks over there speaking nothing but, but this was all quite some time ago. It feels pretty rusty. I am hapy to try and help, but I agree with the others that there are some very good self-learning tapes etc on the market (or the library) that can give you a grasp of the language pretty quickly (though this obvciously depends on the amount of time you have available, on your aptitude and motivation, etc); either way, if you are moving there, you'll NEED those skills. Believe me, Germans resent people living among them who do no speak their language! And those a bit more open-minded will simply respect you for trying!

I was born in Berlin....and spent 12 years living in Germany on and off as a child and then adult.....but I'm afraid I only really know how to order lager and chips with mayonnaise.....not much help unless your hungry or thirsty...yes, I am hanging my head in shame :ph34r::shame: Oh....I do know some swear words too..... :oops:

hi, mother in need , i am trying my absoloute best to learn german and in fact know quite a lot, i have been there loads of times and find that they are fine with me not being able to speak the language. I just wanted someone to give me some support with us having a common link namely aspergers. This will be my last post on this forum as i feel completely let down in terms of support.

Danke.

P.s. I have recently been dx with AS aged 35.

What German I knew is very rusty, but a quick search on the NAS website came up with this link in Germany, who might be able to help further:

Germany

Bundesverband Hilfe f�r das autistische Kind

Vereinigung zur F�rderung autistischer Menschen e.V.

Bebelallee 141

22297 Hamburg

Germany

Tel: +49 40 511 5604

Fax: +49 40 511 0813

Email: autismus-bv-hak@t-online.de

Edited by jomica

I did A Level German.

If it would help, I could translate forms into English for you, and try to translate your answers back into German.

I also know some swear words :whistle:

I can try and help you with some phrases, but it's really difficult to explain how to pronounce things. Speaking it is very different to writing it, but is a more important skill - one you'll pick up very quickly once you get there!