Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

medication for HFA

New to this, my son 8 nearly 9 has been diagnosed with HFA,

he has adhd and is on strattera 40mg, will he gets medication to help HFA

probably more for the anxiety or isn't there any.

May sound a thick question but we were

given the dx and sort of left on our own, so whats next?

From what I researched about strattera it was evaluated as not very successful in treating ADHD and did cause anxiety reactions, many parents have changed to other medications, but I know that with J when on Ritialin he had severe sensory difficulties, had severe panick attacks, withdrew from social interaction more and was very underweight due to him not eating which in turn decreased his immune system due to the stress and no energy.

I know that when children have adhd and take medication it can cause the Autism symptoms to become more profound, and so its going to be very difficult to get a ballance.

I do know that its going to be very difficult to treat both the ADHD and Autism without it causing each other to have rebound.

J is on no medication, its really hard, but I would rather have him been taz manian devel than a panicing raving child distressed and stressed out.

we have had a very trying time on and off meds.

JsMum

Hi My now 12 year old ds is HFA and suffers from extreme anxiety (it is named as a seperate diagnosis it gets so bad)

he has been on Risperidone/Risperidal for it for 2 years this August and it has definately made a difference, although the paediatrician originally said he could only go on it for 2 years as theres not enough known about longterm side effects, but as he has been ok I am hoping she will let him stay on it longer because as others say if it helps them then its worth it.

He takes 2 tabs a day, I think0.5mg

Our dd used to be on Ritalin some time ago but she's got ADHD. For ASD, there's no medication, only for possible side effects that you can have without having ASD, too. But there you have to watch out for dosage problems.