Sign in to follow this  
allsetuk

tummy aches

has anyone noticed a pattern of tummy aches? in asd children..mine is getting tummy aches alot but no other symptoms...and i think it may be stress related ????

any thoughts

My lad often complains of tummy ache at all sorts of times, one of his rituals is do a bowel movement before he leaves the house whether he seems to want to go or not. So will sit and strain I think the tummy ache perhaps relates to pulling muscles. Went to see GP who is now treating him for IBS due to his anxiety, he said straining would not give him tummy ache ????

Clare x

yes defo with J especailly after a holiday from school and its time to go back, and he doesnt want to, he gets them then and is related to anxiety of all the different challenges he has to face when he returns.

onother is diet, if he has had certain foods, or repetative foods then he can have bowl issues and contributed tummy aches.

at night time sometimes and he is a little bit extra sensitive and requires hugs but doesnt actually just comes out with I want a hug, its Ive got a tummy ache so I then just sit him on my knee and hug him, after half hour he is feeling a bit better, so for J its his communication for his needs.

Tummyache can also be mixed up with butterflys and a worry state.

JsMum

My 5 yo gets tummy aches during term time and is now on medication for ibs. It does work and I manage to keep him on about a third of the prescribed dose which is effective and I just need to up it abit if life gets particularly stressful for him. It is worth seeing a GP cos the medication has made a big difference.

I suffer IBS and in the past the medication was only a tempary reliefe, its when I changed my bread to wholemeal that things started to change, and eat more fruit and veg, I stopped eating yogurts and other dairy foods, and I had to sort out my own stressors as well as stress is the Number one cause for IBS as the digestion is effected when your tense and worried,(the system basically stops functioning because the blood from the tummy is pumped to the heart, and muscles ready for the flight or fight switch) so reducing stress is going to be important.

IBS has more symptoms than tummy ache as well, but its maybe worth a read on IBS to see wether it could be that and IBS has flare ups.

What about some childrens yoga, breathing exercises or looking into complementary therapies such as reflexology, massage, or similair.

Just had another flash of reasoning here, (doesnt that hurt when that happens!!) but what about alexanda technique training as it could be he is not getting efficiant supply of blood to his abdamen, maybe not sitting right at the dest, or hunched over so squashing everything in his tummy.

so I was thinking maybe some alexandra techniques to help pump blood all around his body.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

My lad gets a lots of tummy aches as well. He's not very good at recognising when he's hungry, so sometimes says his tummy hurts just before tea. He also can't eat very much at one time, so he might be halfway through his tea and he'll say his tummy hurts. He doesn't really have bowel problems, as such, a bit of constipation sometimes, but nothing major. I think he's just very delicate.

~ Mel ~

In my DD case I think a lot of her tummy aches are due to worries/stress/anxiety, rather than a bug, but I genuinely feel that to her it is a pain or ache. Lets face it a lot of people have these feelings when worried - for me it was when picking up dd from school, or when I have to go to the dentist etc. Its heartbreaking to think of our kids feeling like that a significant part of their time. :(

For those who know about IBS - can IBS develop because of stress or is it or is it through other factors.

Its a very fine line isn't it wondering whether they are ill or not isn't it :unsure:

tilly

Yes T is always for yrs said his tummy hurts and his stools are quite loose & pale, i know something is going on there and when at the centre to get him dx they said it seems he has bowel problems too, more on the list eh!

Bambi x

M (9) gets tummy ache, he also gets upset stomach

especially in term time, and always before school, I've read somewhere that its

related to AS, now m'son meds it doesn't seem to bad.

What meds is ur son on Alexandra? T has just been put on antipsychotic drugs he is a rite mess! bless him i just want him to be comfortable with living and he sure doesnt seem it.

Bambi x

Yep my son suffers with frequent tummy aches especially during times of stress such a s before going back to school after a holiday or when going on a school trip.

Also in the lessons he finds difficult. We believe the pain is real but there is no medical cause apart from stress