Sign in to follow this  
Karen A

Advice re IEP please

Hi I have been looking for some info and cannot find it.The school have produced an IEP which we want to dispute.The main recommendation was that Ben has anger management training to deal with his outbursts.We think he is having outbursts because he is not being supported appropriately.

I have found lots of info in the COP re the need to consult and involve parents in writing the IEP.However I cannot find anything regarding parental right to dispute an IEP that is not appropriate.

Can a parent refuse to allow the school to provide anger management if they consider it to be unhelpful

Ben is already having support from Camhs who feel anger management is not appropriate.

Thanks Karen.

i thought iep stood of individual EDUCATION plan. if cahms say no then dispute it surely the main one should be about education not the schools inability not to cope with him

i thought iep stood of individual EDUCATION plan. if cahms say no then dispute it surely the main one should be about education not the schools inability not to cope with him

There is also an IBP - Individual Behaviour Plan - but most schools seem to just stick with IEP for ease. So behavioural issues can be addressed on an IEP as well as academic.

Karen

x

U should of been there while they went thru his IEP and been in total agreement with it before it could be put into action, i hate it when schools do this! T had an IEP put together without my input and i was fuming! this is breaking the Educational Law and u have to sign it showing u agree with it totally.

I would get on to the member/s of staff who devised it and let them know of ur 'knowledge' and concerns about u are not in agreement with the IEP they have devised, good luck!

Let us know how u get on.

Bambi x

Ok well thats a bonus and the signature is required on the form near where the teacher signs and/if there is a TA who also has to sign they have read & understood it, there should also be a section for parent/carers comments.

Bambi x

If school want your child to see someone ie cahms etc they have to get your consent, who is supposed to be delivering this anger management and what are their qualifications and relevant experience?

:blink::blink::blink: Sorry you know as well as I do.I was amused yesterday when I started to read around.Anger management is a less intensive sort of work than Ben has already-weekly provided by Camhs.What is more dad and I also have weekly support from Camhs which is in far more depth than would be provided if Ben had an Asbo.I don't know exactly why they think I am giving up two afternoons a week and OH is doing flexy time and using holidays to attend appointments.Karen.

Hi Karen,

I've had a search through SEN CoP and some other bits - i can't find anything stating clearly what you're looking for... :wallbash: .

I'd be tempted to ask Camhs for a letter stating that he is already receiving some form of anger management - and that it would not be of benefit to begin a new 'programme' at school.

HTH xxx

http://www.sceschools.com/special/docs/SEN...20June%2005.pdf

Its got some good resources towards the last few pages, so worth a read.

We get a review every term and a fresh IEP is drafted with SENCO, TEACHER AND PARENT signing it, and everyone has copies, at review there is opportunities to dispute anything.

A few issues with aggression is I can see where you are coming from with aggression been caused by the school not meeting his needs and providing enough support, and Js aggression has improved but its still a very big concern for Js school because he gets so frustrated in many areas such as interacting, understanding the work and the stressors that school its self presents, like noise, crowds ect,,, so it may be that there is contributions to consider if your son is aggressive.

J has attended a anger management and I have to say it did help him and he understands the anger issues.

J does have a problem verbally saying how he feels and so often its a build of days of frustration, some times his anger has resulted over an issue days ago, and we have to unravel the week to get to the bottom of it.

I personally think its quiet supportive he is given some course in managing anger because there is a lot of things that can cause anger responces, but I do agree that anger can also be contributed when the child isnt given enough support, however J has support, he has learnt anger techneques and can still lash out and become very aggitated.

so in these times he is provided a safe place to calm down, a named teacher or pupil to approach and then given opportunity to explain in the best of his abilities to share what happened before the fuse was lit.

At home he has a punch pads and gloves.

Its a on going process because with anger responces its maybe become a habbit that will take time and many attempts to try and learn to deal with a very reactive responce.

JsMum