David Matthew Baker

Just got offered a place on a TEACCH training course :D

I'm really happy. I wasn't sure if I'd get a place or not because it was full and I was on the waiting list. However I've just been offered a place on a 5 day accredited TEACCH intensive workshop. Will ring them tomorrow to confirm but have left an answerphone message saying yes please in anycase.

You can find the basic details out here: http://www.autismuk.com/index4sub1-5day.htm

Now just means I have to find somewhere to stay for a few days in Kettering. Open to suggestions if anyone knows anywhere. I don't really have a clue. I am a life member of the YHA but I couldn't find a hostel nearby.

I really wanted a place on this course as it fits nicely in my summer half term so I don't have to okay it with school. Really really happy. :D :D :D

Now if the Oxford weekend is the weekend before or after it be really easy to attend. :D

Good luck with the course :) Sorry it's not my part of the world either so can't advise on accommodation.

K x

Will have to look into all that. They also mention they can provide a list of places for accomodation. I'll try and remember to ask him to send me it when I ring tomorrow. Problem is when I'm at school (well actually make that all the time) I have a habit of forgetting things. Even if I write them down. The nearest people I know to Kettering are one of my friends parents who live in Peterborough. Problem is she doesn't know where they will be in Summer half term. I expect otherwise I'd be welcome to stay there. She often ends up staying at mine if there are any problems. (Her brother in law went through a period of giving her a lot of trouble. She only recently mentioned any of it to the police and then only because someone put glue in her lock and her parents decided to ring them and let them know. I'd tried to convince her but she wants to leave a slight chance of rectifying things with her sister. I don't think her sister knows everything that has happened.) Will have a look for places to stay during the weekend though. Just thought I'd ask on here incase by an off chance anyone knew the area. Probably should go to bed now. Feel shattered (I.E. very tired incase anyone takes things literally). Night all.

im from kettering !!!!! theres a cheap hotel in town called the george hotel very basic but if you are doing a course and are out all day wont really matter and theres a couple of b&bs.

http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/a11931.html

link for the george and prices

and b n bs

http://www.bedandbreakfastsguide.com/B_Bs/...akfasts_876.asp

Edited by rach04

Was out with the staff of the Special School last night. They think I'm mad for paying for the training. From talking to my present school though unless I had managed to get a job in a Special school I would have been very unlikely to have been able to get a school to pay for the training. Not to mention it will look good on an application if I already have the training. It shows a level of commitment not many others could. Wouldn't mind doing a SPELL course too if I could find one. Ones for other special needs would be of interest too. Thanks for all the congratulations. If people are wondering how I can afford that much my Gran just gave me �1000 but as normal with the condition that it is spent on something like training. I decided that TEACCH was probably my best option due to my interests and long term wishes for my career.

Having said that it was good to see all the staff again. Not to mention to hear how various of the students are doing. The student I got on with best apparently hasn't had any problems since they got the police in that time. I think that probably gave him quite a scare. Certainly the one time I saw he after it I got that impression. Some of the others who had been going through a bad spell have calmed down a bit too. Only lot I forgot to ask about where the primary end. There's various students down there I would have liked to have heard about too. Still curse the fact that my term times are identical to theirs so I can't visit. Fingers crossed once I'm on my training I might have the opportunity though. Would love to talk to the headteacher and see what other advice he would have for me.

Lucky you David. Shame you have to fund it yourself but to be honest its difficult for even established teachers to get this training due to the cost and time it takes. As a TA I have no chance of getting such training but when one of our staff go she will no doubt pass on the skills and knowledge that she gains : )

I dont think your mad for going for it and for paying, it does show commitment and it will be very useful when you eventually go for jobs in autism. Good luck and I'm jealous :thumbs:

SV

It will be nice to have some training by the end of my time at my present school. The special school was the first place to give me any just when I was leaving. That was on how to restrain students if you need to. Ideally I need to do a refresher next year. Still trying to think of a way to manage that one. Also going to see if there are any free courses (or cheap courses) around for other special educational needs. If there are I could probably get my current school to send me on them. Have managed to get them to place me on 3 so far. That said they're all twilight courses so far so it is in my own time. I noticed the O.U. does a course on dyslexia that would be interesting. Especially as I'll be a scientist and the area Scientists tend to get complained about for is English. I do wish there was a cheap way to get on the training though. Keep looking at all the NAS training too but as a pro. it is expensive. Still I can hope to get to a school where they are good on professional development. Still have my teacher training to do first though. I think they'll be as supportive as possible too but I expect I'll be a bit of an odd ball again. I was in Kenya and I think it is heading that way again. I just don't seem to think and act like others. Need to contact NAS about Befriending too. Not heard anything yet so want to check application got there. That would get me a little training too if I get on the scheme. I wish there was an after school club up this way too as would be tempted to help at one of them too. After all it would all be good experience. :)

Once I've done the training I can always post a brief outline of what was covered on here.

On a final note at the special school I was at all permanent staff were trained in TEACCH methods. Whether they were Teacher, TA or I believe Office Staff. I guess that is only because of it's status as a school for autistic students.

Well done on the course! The only thing I know about Kettering is that there is an extremely good theme park there called Wickstead Park (I went there as a kid on school trips) - v. good!

Hi David, If you've got spare time on your hands why not contact your local Social Services, children with disabilities team and see if there are any vacancies for support workers to provide respite care.........taking kids out on leisure activities and the like. That might give you some extra experience.

SV