Sign in to follow this  
rainbow queen

birthday present for my son aged 6

hi all

my sons birthday is coming up in june and i have no idea what to get him

hes not really into normal kids things

hes asked for a nintendo ds,but im a bit unsure

i bought play station 2 for xmas and he has a real hard time playing games on it as he dont understand the controls-he is behind in his age

im wondering if its worth getting one?

hes also a bit forgetfull ect....so im wondering if it may get broke easy ect....

ive tryed looking at trampolines and most shops where i live have sold out of the 10ft ones.............im bit worried about that-i mean if i got one if a accident occured as hes really clumsey

the only real pleasure he loves is my pc

he can spend hours on it looking up on the net his fav things like lazy town,and other fav programes

he can also use the pc really well for hi age

always been into it

im wondering if id be better of spending cash on one for his room...........or do you think hes too young?

any advice

thank you in advance

rq xxx

Guest Lya of the Nox

i would do the ds they are fab for travelling and i do beleive our kids learn soo much form them

puter sounds cool too, but we waited till she was older

Hi

I got my son a nintendo gameboy for his 5th birthday and its excellent he loves it and the games are for 3 upwards i would really recommend it its very similar to the DS but its simpler to use

Brooke

My 5 year old got a Gameboy and he loves it. As soon as he comes home from school, he's on it. I really think it's a release for him. Pre-gameboy, when he got home from school, he'd go into meltdown mode.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. In fact, my feeling is that it encourages concentration and dexterity.

Caroline.

My vote also goes to the DS :) - has been a life saver when waiting in restaurants and when traveling

If you search on Ebay you can get some pretty good deals on the games

Definately go for the age 3+ games so that he can pick them up and get used to playing

My son's been bought a couple that were in the next age group (he's 7) and although they should have been fine there were too many rules etc within the game and he got easily frustrated.

Hope this helps

Lisa

I got the ds for my 8 yr old son at Christmas. Was worried he'd be too obsessed with it or frustrated - but he's fine on it. Prefer that to a computer in the bedroom - he uses my pc and I can keep an eye on him then. You can also play gameboy games on the ds but not the other way around I don't think.

thank you for the replys

they are really helpfull.............im a single mum and dont know much about boys toys ect....

i think what appeals about the ds is that pen you get with it..............it looks like it may be easier to use

do you use this pen alot rather then the buttons ?

ive been into the shop and looked at them..........theres a game called dogs i think he would like....i think he prefer games like that rather than games games if you get me..............

the dogs one seems to be interactive as if you are looking after the dog...........im sure the man in the shop said you could talk to it too.........

ive just asked him today what he would like for his birthday ...........and he never said ds -he most likely forgot hed asked me this before but he did say pixel chix

which ive looked up and seems really for girls.....its �30 and is a sort of interactive game thing

but im wondering rather than get that -would he get more out of the ds?

im on a budget you see and im just wanting to be sure i make the right choice for him.....as he has problems making choices himself .

but thanks so far >:D<<'>

rq xxx

Just a thought....Quite often with my son when I'm trying to get a good idea of birthday/xmas pressies etc I'll log onto Ebay with him next to me and just let him keep scrolling through the games.consoles etc.

You can type anything in the search field (ours are usually power Rangers/Pokemon/DS/Xbox :))

I've taught him how to click the 'watch' button...so then I can just scroll through all the things he's put in there and

get an idea.

Thankfully he hasn't quite figured out how to bid yet! :)

As the parent of a son who is games mad, can I muddy the waters by saying I'd go for the PC at this stage!

While a hand-held console is a good idea too the fact that he's not too keen on/gets frustrated by the PS2 is probably an indication that he's just not quite ready for that yet, and if he's mad about your PC then he'd probably really apprciate his own.

Ben started pootling about on the PC at around two using the 'reader rabbit toddler' and 'blinky Bill' and Pingu software, and still - despite having the PS2, PSP and two different types of gameboy spends time on it playing online games and stuff...

The downside to PC's is if it's strictly for gaming you can get quite a few compatability issues, which can be a real pain, but on the other hand the cost of system (i.e. PS2/XBox etc) dedicated games is much higher.

With a 'joypad' controller he can learn how to use a dedicated controller more effectively, but still has all of the other options and applications (especially educational) that the PC can offer... If he's mad keen on the idea of a DS i'd think about both and ear mark the non-birthday one for Xmas!

L&P

BD :D

hi all

my sons birthday is coming up in june and i have no idea what to get him

hes not really into normal kids things

hes asked for a nintendo ds,but im a bit unsure

i bought play station 2 for xmas and he has a real hard time playing games on it as he dont understand the controls-he is behind in his age

im wondering if its worth getting one?

hes also a bit forgetfull ect....so im wondering if it may get broke easy ect....

ive tryed looking at trampolines and most shops where i live have sold out of the 10ft ones.............im bit worried about that-i mean if i got one if a accident occured as hes really clumsey

the only real pleasure he loves is my pc

he can spend hours on it looking up on the net his fav things like lazy town,and other fav programes

he can also use the pc really well for hi age

always been into it

im wondering if id be better of spending cash on one for his room...........or do you think hes too young?

any advice

thank you in advance

rq xxx

Hi I think a trampoline is a great idea my son had one for his last birthday (he was 7) and gets a lot of enjoyment out of it. As far as accidents make sure you have an enclosure on it and then it is reasonably safe we have had no problems at all, we have an 8ft one and this is plenty big enough.I think the pc is a good idea too especially if he has already shown an interest, i dont think he is too young my son has had one of his own since he was 5 and has had a lot of use and learnt a lot too, just again make sure you have got some kind of monitoring on it so that he doesnt go on to any undesirable websites, of course this is just my opinion others may disagree. Mrs Fussy.

i think what appeals about the ds is that pen you get with it..............it looks like it may be easier to use

do you use this pen alot rather then the buttons ?

ive been into the shop and looked at them..........theres a game called dogs i think he would like....i think he prefer games like that rather than games games if you get me..............

the dogs one seems to be interactive as if you are looking after the dog...........im sure the man in the shop said you could talk to it too.........

ive just asked him today what he would like for his birthday ...........and he never said ds -he most likely forgot hed asked me this before but he did say pixel chix

which ive looked up and seems really for girls.....its �30 and is a sort of interactive game thing

but im wondering rather than get that -would he get more out of the ds?

im on a budget you see and im just wanting to be sure i make the right choice for him.....as he has problems making choices himself .

but thanks so far >:D<<'>

rq xxx

My son doesn't use the pen at all I don't think. His favourite games on it are Cars, Mario Cart, Scooby Doo and Need for Speed. My daughter has one too and has the dogs game which he uses sometimes and yes it is good. The dog reacts to voice and rolls over etc and you feed it and brush it. If you have 2 ds's they can both play games with each other and thats essentially the reason I got the ds for him as his sister already had one - but I don't regret it. The controls are apparently quite easy and its nice and small - can put it in your pocket and take it places.

Hi I have to go along with the DS only because I am getting one for MY birthday, also in June, as I think they look great for games and quizes and mind games, I cant wait for mine and I am getting a PINK one, J wants me to get a white one so he can borrow it, but I am not going to, if he wants one I will go halfs with him and he can earn his!!!!

As for the PC and the Trampoline have you heard of Family fund, this is a charity where these kind of items are provided for children with Disabilities/special needs.

J got a holiday and I have been granted Driving lessons, and also outdoor activities, which he bought a tablet pc mat, that does graphics, and a boxing bag and gloves.

Now also I really recommend if you do get a trampoline please get a good quality one, we went cheap and now J has had an orful accident and hurt all his neck and shoulder, he isnt mobile now and hates it, its intended for adults for fitness, but sold as a play trampoline online, that came with a surround as well but the bounce is stiff, and hence the jarred movement.

We are changing ours for a rectangle one as well now and that has Gymnastic quality because J does a lot of tumbling on his trampoline, we havent been put off but do get the correct one, the best is Tp, expensive I know but it will be worth it.

So dS is our choice and apply to family fund for the pc and trampoline.

JsMum

There is a lot of 6 years olds here? how many is that now

J will be 7 in a few weeks time. I'm just going to get him ps2 and ds games! I got him a ds for christmas, but his favourite game Sims Pets is rather repetitive and he's gotten bored with it now. He has loads of other games, and will go back to it again I'm sure.

J was the same with the ps2 a few years ago, he found it difficult to progress in games and would get frustrated and upset. I just had to get him to try different games until he found one he could do - expensive I know!

I also got J a laptop - bad move as I didn't realise it wasn't compatible with a lot of PC games (graphics chip problem I think) so he still uses my PC a lot. But I agree with J's mum - see if you can get PC and trampoline from fumily fund. That's what I'm going to do as soon as I get around to filling in forms!

You could even get the DS browser to go with the DS. It's not bad as a little portable browser. You'll also find the Nintendo Wii is far more accessible to people who aren't used to controlling games with analog sticks. You basically only have to point the remote where you want or to tip it. Most N games are very forgiving too. The advantage of the DS is it's touch screen. This again simplifys controls. Quite a few games just get you to push a button on the touch screen.

DS all the way for me. Both my boys have a PC, a PS2, a DS and they share a Wii. The Wii does get regular use, PS2 is occasional, Pc is pretty much ignored - DSs are in constant use.

C cannot go anywhere without it. School are working with us and using it as a reward, or removing it as a sanction - they are finding it invaluable. We take it with us when we go in the car, go visiting, go out for a meal - it enables us to do family things that we couldn't otherwise do.

They are really sturdy - C has dropped his countless times, and although the games are expensive they are machine washable!! :tearful::rolleyes: - believe me, it's happened loads of times in our house., "But I did empty my pockets, mum... honest".

It may take him a couple of days to get his head round the controls, but the fact that many games use the stylus makes it really easy and natural to interact with. Some of the games also respond to voice commands (Nintendogs, for example).

AND.... you can go online using them, if you have wireless in the house.

I would suggest, for a first DS - go on Ebay... you can get a new not lite one (they're a bit sturdier and harder to lose) for �60 ish.

My daughter loves them all to the point of obsessions. She's used a gameboy/ps1 and pc from around 4yrs progressing through various others like the ds, - she was extremely lucky that for the first couple of years we had a friends son who was a good few years older who had no brothers/sisters to play with and loved to bring it to our house.

She's 13 now and would spend nearly every waking minute on one of them if I'd let her - apart from when she's drawing or reading.

The only thing I would say is that games consoles (and pc games for that matter) can be very frustrating - my daughter is slightly better now she's older but still has little patience and won't read the instructions and expects to be able to get through the whole game in a day. We also have rages over things like this plus if the game crashes or stalls or she forgot to save etc and also issues with I just need to get to the end of this bit to save.........

A pc obviously helps with their homework and if not playing games on it can be less frustrating - although it's still an issue on getting my daughter off there.

Which ever you choose if he does enjoy it to the point of difficulties in getting him off it I'd definitely start laying rules down at the beginning about length of time and breaks etc - we've had to be very firm and specific with my daughter.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Just to add incase your not aware, DS take the cartridges designed for the Gameboy Advanced and so he can play gameboy advanced games on his Ds as well.

so its like a gameboy and a DS game, two types of games in one.

JsMum

well im still puzzled as to what to get -now ive listened to all sides of the coin ....lol

like many have said -he did get really frustrated at the play station 2 and would go into meltdown mode -then give up playing it because he wasnt getting very ahead in it or trouble using the controls..........

he dont really go on the playstation now

maybe getting a ds would cause same problems......

about the pc well hes been using mine since he was 2.....and can get about on it quite easy

i dont know whether to just let him carry on using mine on and off.....

dose anyone know about internet connection -as i already have it in my bedroom....do you have to pay twice or extra for having it in another room?

Hi Rainbowqueen

I agree with Baddad about the PC - there is plenty of scope for him to progress using that. Having said that, the Gameboy/DS is fab for travelling or when you have to wait anywhere. It's small and can easily be brought with you. I would not get him an internet connection for his own room at this stage as you will not be able to supervise what he's accessing.

Why not purchase some educational software for the PC and also look into getting a second-hand gameboy to start with - you never know, a cousin or friend who has graduated to DS may be willing to part with the Gameboy - I know my DS has not used his since getting the DS in January. I must ask him to teach DD to use it - drives us nuts on car journeys!

Good luck in your choice

right after much thinking

.......................i have decided to go for the ds .............in fact bought it today at argos there is an offer on -if you buy the nintendo dogs game -�130 but you get a essential kit free [cover,extra sticks ect) and a free dog toy...............he loves dogs and has also had his faithfull dogger with him [soft toy that used to go everywhere with him even the hospital appointments and cdc nursery] sine he was a baby.

i also took out �16.99 insurance which covers for 3 years even if its my sons fault its broke -so extra peace of mind]

i think it will help deffo on the journey to and from school and to and from taekwando class in the car......cause at the moment hes driving me mad as he refuses to sit and wait for anything..............its so bad i get nervous twitchs in my eye cause he really gets mad and angry.

i did toy with idea of the pc but i think ill leave that one till hes a way bit older................for mean time he can always go on mine...............

and im going get him to give his toy laptop.....v tech to his 4 year old brother when he gets the ds...............as i can see my other son being highly dissapointed...........its like a balancing act trying to please both.............my other son is not taken by pc things though not the same...........as my soon to be 6 year old ....he was on my pc from age 2 ........

i hope i made the right choice -i think he will enjoy the dog games and those brain games ...........

thanks for all the help guys. >:D<<'>

i did apply to the family fund last year-and received money for hol and money for garden toys ..............trouble is im sure she said keep the receipts.....for applying next time........

do you really need them?

my garden things and bedding was bought with family fund card that they sent-i got a swing set and go cart ....and bedding ect...

rq xxx