Kathryn

Listen and weep with frustration...

I missed this yesterday but Lord Adonis was interviewed on Radio 4 pm:

There's no conflict of interest, apparently, for LEA's in both assessing and funding SEN. The majority of parents are happy with the system, apparently - we know this because only 1 in 400 cases go to tribunal. There's no cost whatsoever for parents in going to tribunal, apparently.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Here's the link to the pm blog and yesterday's interview. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm/2007/05/lord...is_update.shtml

The topic also featured on tonight's programme. They were deluged with comments (can't think why!?) and are inviting further contributions. Adonis has been challenged to read them and respond.

Tell him what you think!

K x

I missed this yesterday but Lord Adonis was interviewed on Radio 4 pm:

There's no conflict of interest, apparently, for LEA's in both assessing and funding SEN. The majority of parents are happy with the system, apparently - we know this because only 1 in 400 cases go to tribunal. There's no cost whatsoever for parents in going to tribunal, apparently.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Here's the link to the pm blog and yesterday's interview. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/pm/2007/05/lord...is_update.shtml

The topic also featured on tonight's programme. They were deluged with comments (can't think why!?) and are inviting further contributions. Adonis has been challenged to read them and respond.

Tell him what you think!

K x

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Perhaps Lord Adonis would like to see how much i have spent wilth 3 Tribunals, for statementing and the appropriate school for my son!

And how many years its going to take me to pay it back! :wallbash:

Oooohhhh!!!

Been driven to post again...the comments from a senior LEA official will definitely make you weep! :wallbash::crying:

Where are all the others ?

How many LEA officers are there and only one has an opinion.......all too busy dealing with middle class pushy parents. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I'm shaking with anger here!! I've never heard such twaddle in my life.

So far we are spending �1,500 for the Ed Pysch, �600 for him to go into the Tribunal and �1000 for representation. Also �200 for the SALT report and thats before SALT going into the Tribunal with us.

If we went in and paid nothing we would be like lambs to the slaughter, they would have a field day and we would get nowhere. What a moron he is!

Just to add we are not "Well off" and are taking out a big loan and will have to live on Value beans for a long time :wallbash:

Edited by Cariad

well my four-penneth has 'cleared' now...

Sadly it's directly below someone else with the same surname, so viewers may well interpret it as a 'two for one' :(

still - nice to have a rant now and again!

L&P

BD :D

Read this from an LEA official on the blog.

Words fail.

The current debate makes me weep. I and my colleagues genuinely do our best to consider every case on the evidence. We agree to issue around 450 new statements each year in a LA with a school population of about 100,000. Only a small number end up with any sort of discussion about problems with parents let alone contests at tribunals. But the small number of parents who are determined to get their own way whether justified or not cause endless misery among my colleagues, absence through stress and ill health.....

.....I am sorry but statements cannot optimise the educational opportunities of every middle class child with a syndrome. They cannot deal with the grief of a parent who has a child who will fulfill only limited potential. Statements cannot replace the discussions between professionals and parents about the pain and dilemmas of handicap, loss of opportunity and the shame of parenting the less than perfect.

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I sort of figured that bit to be deliberately inflammatory so I ignored it...

The problem is, the more 'heated' this gets (regardless of the rights and rights - I can't see any 'wrong's in the parental argument! :devil::devil: ) the more people LIKE him will view the anger as 'unreasonable' and 'biased'... It's completely ridiculous if people look closely, but it is a smokescreen that works - particularly if the main purpose for the antagonist is to reinforce their own self-delusion and prejudices...

This guy seems to be getting more flak than Lord Adonis at the moment, and while he deserves it I'm not sure that's a useful development IYKWIM :unsure:

L&P

Badangrydad :D

I read the same blog today....it's all been a real eye opener..

I have nothing but admiration for all of you guys currently battling...I hope I can be as strong as all of you cos it looks like you need to be.

I can't believe this is all going on, and too be honest...it's all so in the background as it were. Ie unless you're in the situation that you need to get involved you remain blissfully ignorant...(although it seems those LEA guys fall into that box! :(

I sort of figured that bit to be deliberately inflammatory so I ignored it...

The problem is, the more 'heated' this gets (regardless of the rights and rights - I can't see any 'wrong's in the parental argument! :devil::devil: ) the more people LIKE him will view the anger as 'unreasonable' and 'biased'... It's completely ridiculous if people look closely, but it is a smokescreen that works - particularly if the main purpose for the antagonist is to reinforce their own self-delusion and prejudices...

This guy seems to be getting more flak than Lord Adonis at the moment, and while he deserves it I'm not sure that's a useful development IYKWIM :unsure:

L&P

Badangrydad :D

Well I was less restrained than you in my response to him just now! :lol:

I must say, I have a grudging admiration for this one for sticking his head above the parapet. One can only imagine the kind of things they say about parents and children in private. :(

I'm not sure it's deliberately inflammatory. I think he really believes it. :unsure:

K x

I've replied to post 26... couldn't help myself.

The most 'amazing' thing was he said all that, then went on to offer his services via email to any parents who needed help! :unsure: He's either playing devils advocate to wind people up, which is bad enough, or he trully believes every word he typed, which is a million times worse.

Flo'

Should have said I'm at 33 and 38! :ph34r::fight:

Flozza, I thought the same about his offer of help! :o

Do you think he is a real person, or a sort of composite LEA official?? :lol:

Edited by bid

Tom's due to start school next January. He can't ask for a drink, tell you what he's doing, ask you to look at something, tell you when he's soiled or wet his nappy. He won't answer "hello" if someone says it to him, or goodbye. He can't nod or shake his head to express "yes" and "no". He understands only if something is part of a familiar routine, usually accompanied by visual clues and set out in one step instructions. He will be four in July and has no apparent concept that he's a boy, that he is different from girls, that he is nearly four and that his birthday will be a special day.

He can read numbers up to 100, love counting, can read most letters and his name and Jacob's name and knows a few shapes and colours and a fair few objects. It scares me that this academic knowledge will mean he's pushed into a mainstream environment that - at this stage - there is no way on earth he could cope with. The possibility that he could be in the mainstream environment without support scares me even more.

Hmm just read this and felt quite sick. How can Lord A believe the rubbish that comes out of his mouth - how do people like this sleep.

Would it be a stupid idea for us ALL to send this guy some Horlicks - I am being serious. Maybe we should do this nationally? How many jars do you think he would receive?

Cat

Mr **** is an Sen Officer in ****- Perhaps anyone in that LEA should give serious consideration to making a complaint about this man's views. Does he have the right to hold such views and such a position? While it is not supposed to get personal he has brought this on himself by making such comments.

Hi madme - while appreciating completely your strong feelings, the forum guidelines prohibit the use of names and identifiable locations of/for all professionals etc. They have been edited accordingly. I'm sure you will appreciate the reasons behind this, and that it's a 'blanket' policy.

L&P

BD on behalf of the mod/admin team.

Edited by baddad

:crying: 22 years on and I'm still fighting. With 3 children on the spectrum, the fighting part is a full time job. At their ages and mine I'd be back at work by now. Quite apart from the emotional and physical costs of all this, the monetary value I put on the fighting for services part, is the salary I would be getting as a psychologist if I was working. Its too upsetting for me at the mo to add any more to this discussion but I do applaud all of you who have added your comments to that site.