Sign in to follow this  
hev

ive found steves trigger

someone told me on here to write down when steve has fits to see if i could find a trigger.

when he had the 2 fits he was at mums and in the day he went to club and was drinking diet cokes,was speaking to woman from epilepsy support group and she said aspartame,which is a natural sweetner triggered off bad fits in her girl,i think thats steves trigger cos he not had fit since :thumbs:

its not in pure orange juice,just in the diet,low cal drinks,so ive stopped buying them,does anyone know if theres link between aspertame and asds?

Ive always avoided aspartame , especially in soft drinks and squash as im sure it doesn't do my kids any good.

have a look here it lists a number of side effects including :-

Neurologic

epileptic seizures

headaches, migraines and (some severe)

dizziness, unsteadiness, both

confusion, memory loss, both

severe drowsiness and sleepiness

paresthesia or numbness of the limbs

severe slurring of speech

severe hyperactivity and restless legs

atypical facial pain

severe tremors

Psychological/Psychiatric

severe depression

irritability

aggression

anxiety

personality changes

insomnia

phobias

I've taught numerous children with ADHD in mainstream, and many of the parents say that they believe aspartame is a trigger for mood swings, aggression, lack of concentration and being generally more difficult to handle, and they avoid it in their children's diet.

I hope it is what's triggering the fits, as it is so easy to read labels and avoid.

Hev - it's nasty stuff all round... ben doesn't have aspartame (see 'diet' section) but i've no idea re epilepsy trigger...

Beware, though, it's not just fizzy drinks. Pretty much anything 'low cal' (biscuits, chocs, jam...) anything that says 'articial sweetener' is going to contain it, even if they call it by a different name...

Basically it's the sweet equivelent of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG): hides under all sorts of different names, because the manufacturers know people don't want it...

On the downside, Steve's consumption of natural sugars is going to rise if he doesn't change his diet generally, 'cos 'sweet' means sugar or artificial, basically, and the latter has weight implications :(

Fresh juices, good old water, fruit rather than chocs and yoghurts rather than puds :( Eventually he will prefer them - but it's a hard slog :(

BTW - you may well find that cutting out Aspartame and the stuff it's in has other benefits too. It could be a trigger for some of the behaviours as well as the fits...

L&P

BD :D

Guest Lya of the Nox

at least u found it

dd can taste it at 10 paces and hates it

i bake lots for my kids, and i truely believe that sugar is better than addatives

altho i know that sugar is bad too

a diary is a brill thing to do tho, and as bard and bd have said u may find other things get better, but it takes time

the one thing we notice with mogs is that if she is hungry she is even more stropy than ususal

xx

Guest Lya of the Nox

found this too mite be worth a look

http://www.everydiet.org/feingold_diet.htm

my bruv was hyperactive ( he is late 30's now ) and many peeps found this worked, it did not with him, but we decided eh was damaged at time of birth

it is to my mind essentailly cooking from scratch and knowing what they are eating

but i ahve to say there are the strangest of things that can be triggers,: oranges for one?

and we had found that dd had bad breath for a long time, and were forever teling her it to clean her teath

then she went away and did not drink her gallons of apple juice! and hey presto, no bad breath so it had to be from the gut.

i have to say for us i dont check diet so so much, but am aware, and as son does food as a level, he keeps a check to, she luvs J tw*nti but he reads labels and says no lol

I try to keep both my kids off Aspartame, artificial colourings and flavourings and MSG. I also tend to use fructose sugar as an alternative to normal sugar for sprinkling on some cereals and in baking. However I have found when I am out, a lot of places stock kids drink that are "no added sugar" but contain aspartame instead - so I opt for the occasional sugar drink - though my kids tend to drink mainly milk or soya shakes!

Hev its true asparteme its lethal stuff, I keep telling parents with toddlers as its in loads of kids drinks, fruit shoots, ribena low sugar, lemonades, every drink going to be honest except a few like appletizer, normal coke, and pure fruit juice but you still need to check because they add it in without it stating clearly until your read the tiny ingredients lables.

asparteme should be banned, it causes poisons in the bloods once a high level of toxins have been consumed but no one knows what the levels are, it could be say no more than two cups of juice per day, or per week, all I know is that I have banned it for about four years now, the internet is brilliant to look further into it, I saw a child yesterday have a drink with it in and with in 10 mins he was kicking and blood red raging, it is nasty nasty stuff, and its astonishing when the evidence is this clear that its allowed to be comtaminated in our children.

I was at a warehouse fun house and the drinks are all the ones with aspateme in it so we take our own juice and when kids where off on real hyper mode none of the parents twigged it was the drinks they where buying there kids in the cafe at the warehouse.

J was one of the best behaved kids there!

J cant have orange juice either though, or cheese, so a real good look at his diet may well be worth an investigation and a nutritionist from the epilepsy society to go throw a new diet.

JsMum

Hev its true asparteme its lethal stuff, I keep telling parents with toddlers as its in loads of kids drinks, fruit shoots, ribena low sugar, lemonades, every drink going to be honest except a few like appletizer, normal coke, and pure fruit juice but you still need to check because they add it in without it stating clearly until your read the tiny ingredients lables.

asparteme should be banned, it causes poisons in the bloods once a high level of toxins have been consumed but no one knows what the levels are, it could be say no more than two cups of juice per day, or per week, all I know is that I have banned it for about four years now, the internet is brilliant to look further into it, I saw a child yesterday have a drink with it in and with in 10 mins he was kicking and blood red raging, it is nasty nasty stuff, and its astonishing when the evidence is this clear that its allowed to be comtaminated in our children.

I was at a warehouse fun house and the drinks are all the ones with aspateme in it so we take our own juice and when kids where off on real hyper mode none of the parents twigged it was the drinks they where buying there kids in the cafe at the warehouse.

J was one of the best behaved kids there!

J cant have orange juice either though, or cheese, so a real good look at his diet may well be worth an investigation and a nutritionist from the epilepsy society to go throw a new diet.

JsMum

is aspartame in cheese as well then?

do you think it should be avoided given to nt kids as well like my katie?

what does j drink instead?

Guest Lya of the Nox

nah dont think so

it another thing they put in our loverly food

is sodium benzoate also known as aspartame?

thanks for the link lovey >:D<<'>

No it isn't, but I work with someone whose NT son has a bad behavioural reaction to it.

She cut SB out of his diet, then he went to his granny for the weekend and came back manic!

Couldn't work out why, as granny was fully up to speed on things, so they back tracked the weekend and...

he'd had 2 baths there and it was in the bubble bath.

It's not as complicated as it sounds hev, and I avoid aspartame for both my two, AS and NT.

It has to be written on the label if it is an ingredient, so check.

As a veggie, I'm used to scanning for animal fats etc, it's not scary when it becomes a habit.

What do mine drink?

milk, milk shakes, fruit juice, smoothies, lots and lots of water.

It's much harder to change someone's diet when they're old enough to complain, mine have always been restricted, so for years they didn't know any better. Daughter occasionally buys Lilt when she's out with her mates, doesn't like the taste of alcohol.

Sending many positive thoughts your way, if Steve can understand what triggers his fits, maybe he'll cooperate with a different diet. Good Luck!

Edited by Bard

Aspartime gets the blame for a LOT of problems. It has been shown to trigger fits. It's also thought to affect behaviour and mood.

Personally, I feel that sugar is better for you than the artificial sweeteners, even though it's not ideal.

Hev sorry should of made the cheese and orange bit a bit clearer, J cant have cheese and orange because these cause J headaches, nothing to do with aspartame, sos there, just stating he cant have these foods either.

Aspartamane is in a lot of stuff though and would defo look in everything you buy, as it could well be added in cheese though I really dont think it is but you just never know, as J doesnt eat cheese I wouldnt know.

J drinks organic Apple Juice from Sainsburys, so organic is their range.

Water, and Milk, Cola natural sugar, appletizer, and now has started to drink cammamile and honey tea

JsMum

my Ds too has always been restricted and only has juices, water and milk. I had heard that sodium benzoate was a known trigger when he was quite young nd he has always been quite hyper - so I never allowed it.

ASpartame is banned from baby foods - so that tells us something about the questionnable quality of it as an ingredient.

Hope that you are able to explain to Steve and that he will see the benefits of avoiding it

Take care of you

Phoebe

ASpartame is banned from baby foods - so that tells us something about the questionnable quality of it as an ingredient.

It's banned from most countries (including America - and they'll eat anything!!).

It's nasty stuff Hev. A friends' epilepsy is brought on by carpet cleaners - the orange flavour! :blink: Doesn't sound too complicated - but if you think of all the places you go to that may have used it in the past week or so..........................

Funnily enough - she feels a bit daft phoning in advance and saying 'Hi, don't suppose you've cleaned your carpets this week have you??' :lol:

Pleased you're making progress with keeping a check on his diet >:D<<'> >:D<<'> it's amazing what cr*p is in our food.

>:D<<'>

Hi Hev, you know it's a funny thing, how can you learn something new then forget all about it. I found out about aspartame about a year ago, and stopped all my kids having it (main culprit - no-added-sugar diluting juice and wotsits). Have only just began to consider if maybe the ban on aspartame is responsible for R not having had a seizure since last Sept.

hiya hev

my dh did loads of researching into aspartame and its such a nasty substance, i'll copy in a response he did to a friend of mine a short while ago, might be worth a read :)

Hi, many thanks for the fwd of the 2002 review, very interesting. I agree that this should be an open discussion, as this topic is by no means cut and dried from either side of the argument that surrounds it. I have only just started looking at this, as it was raised very briefly during a meeting at my dental course. People seemed to have heard things about aspartame but no-one could remember why it was supposedly not a good thing, so i thought id take a look.

I must admit that my science is not that great, but I think in this instance that some of the scare stories should be looked into more deeply and not simply dissmissed out of hand because of a handful of "independant" studies and the companies own PR scheme tells us to. As you said, these companies are not always altruistic and in fact in general the food industry and its in pocket industry investigations, are anything but. Vested interests and a big interest in the bottom line generally win over any ethical concerns. Just look at the tobaco industrys early claims for example, and there still telling the chinese its good for them, with massive lung cancer rates. MONSANTO and S D SEARLE are not nice corporations either.

I agree that credible sources are indeed the BMJ, and EPA or as was the case for aspartame originally, it all pivoted on the FDA's decision, and for me thats where the story gets good.

You mentioned that aspartame essentially contains two amino acids naturally found and dealt with in our diets, phenylanaline and aspartic acid, along with a little methanol to bind them, which is very much the companies stance that "well there found in nature right (fruits and meats, and alcohol), so cant be bad!", and it appears that the scare mongers believe this is where the lies begin.

They concentrate on the fact that in our diets we dont recieve these as individual aminos but as parts of larger proteins, which are metabolised slower and are accompanied by neutralising buffers (pectin and ethanol) that protect our system against spiking blood levels of these three separately considered Neurotoxins/excitotoxins. The Methyl alcohol produced accumulates and may give rise to acute or chronic low level methanol toxicity that can blind, neurodengenerate and kill, formaldehyde preserves proteins and damages DNA in carino/terato/mutagenic ways, the formic acid is akin to epoxy resin strippers, whilst the aspartic acid excitotoxin disrupts/kills neural transmission and the phenylanaline is known to localise/accumulate and cause seizures, whilst a by product is DKP that is a known brain tumour induction agent. Altogether, a stunning combination for a diet product (dont you think), that will be worsened by a lack of food presence when consumed. The risk to PKU sufferers or unwitting carriers, is also enhanced with the spiked blood phenylanyline levels, as is the potential tripled effect across the placenta to unborn babies, for mums to be.

Or so the scare sites say...

However what is of interest is the way they systematically debunk the offical statements and PR babble, expose the inadequacies of the various studies (either in thier design flaws, vested interest based science, data manipulation, outright corruption of players involved, too short duration, low dose or single bolus dose based studies, the use of rats and mice that are 2-7 times less sensitive and which convert it differently to tyrosine with enzymes we lack) or the simple fact of citing many more unoffically relied upon experiments by uninvolved parties that show this stuff is not pleasant, is not a food additive and should be banned outright.

Many case studies, as you mentioned do show people remarkably being cured of horrendous cases of ME, MS, ARTRITIS< LUPUS, ADHD etc etc that this stuffs alleged 92 symptoms can mimic, by simply cutting aspartame products from thier diets, symptoms returning if they do resume consumption. I admit this could be coincidental, but many of these people have lost huge chunks of thier lives and savings, baffling experts in various fields only to stop the diet coke and suddenly jump off thier crutches. Its kinda odd, it also appears to have mirrored increases in various illnesses in its increased consumption, but of course many other lifestyle factors are prevalent too. The other thing about these sites and the various Dr's, who are in support of trying to prove aspartame is dangerous, is that most appear to be doing this for the right reasons and are not, protecting anyone (rather damaging thier own credibilty) or trying to flog something off the back of it (at least not aggressively). It appears more of a desparate plea to WAKE UP a population they feel are being deliberatley poisoned.

Anyways I mentioned how the story gets interesting with the FDAs role in the mid 1970's so heres a bunch of links to aspartames sordid little history including MR DONALD RUMSFELDS involvement in "ENSURING IT MAKES IT TO MARKET" (thats me sold then!), support sites , videos, audio transcripts of talks, more recent studies from 2005 showing dangerous links, miracle cure cases from the UK and more.

NOTE the videos will definately put you off this stuff, (if you find them credible) as the potential damage to children and babies just isnt worth the risk IMHO, if you are one of the unlucky ones to manifest noticeable symptoms.

2 history and fraud related sites

http://www.dorway.com/enclosur.html

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/fraud.htm

DONALD RUMSFELDS INVOLVEMENT VIDEO

http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/rumsfeld.html

OFFICIAL ASPARTAME INFO PAGE

http://www.aspartame.info/index.html

DEBUNKING OF THE PR CAMPAIGN AND STUDIES

http://www.dorway.com/offasprt.html

TYPICAL SCARE SITE WITH SYMPTOM LIST

http://www.dorway.com/badnews.html

MORE REASONED REFERENCED ARTICLE

http://presidiotex.com/aspartame/Facts/Arizona/arizona.html

RECENT SUFFERER CURED

http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_article.php?aID=40475

2005 italian study Shows DOSE RELATED CANCER RISK + BBC DOWNPLAY OF THIS STORY

http://www.ramazzini.it/eng/fondazione/eve...agli.asp?id=210

http://www.ramazzini.it/fondazione/docs/AspartameGEO2005.pdf FULL REPORT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4683371.stm

"The first results of the experiment show:

1) a dose-related statistically significant increase of lymphomas and leukemias in female rats. This statistically significant increase was also observed at a dose level of 20 mg/Kg of body weight, a dose inferior to the accepted daily intake permitted by current regulations (50-40 mg/Kg of body weight);"

BEAR IN MIND WE MAY CONSUME 200mg/Kg bw p/day

ARTICLES ON HOW MONSANTO ABUSE THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/abuse/

VIDEO INTERVIEW OF NEUROSURGEONS FINDINGS (MUST SEE IF YOU BUY THIS DEAL)

http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/blaylock.html

http://www.dorway.com/blayinv.html ANOTHER INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT

VARIOUS DOCTORS INTERVIEWS/PAPERS/AUDIO

http://www.dorway.com/doctors.html

SUFFERER/ACTIVIST/DOCUMENTARY MAKERS SPEECH 06/2/06

http://www.soundandfury.tv/pages/newmexico.html

PETITION FOR LADY SERVING 50 YEARS FOR METHANOL POISONING HER HUSBAND? ASPARTAME? SHE PASSED A POLYGRAPH TEST BUT HEY, CORPORATE PROFITS WOULD PLUMMET IF THE TRUTH GOT OUT RIGHT?

http://www.petitiononline.com/wnhodfp/petition.html

finally if your undecided and believe that no-one would really allow this to be happening then this is the film for you

"THE CORPORATION" DOCUMENTARY (DEFINTIVE FILM OF OUR AGE)

http://www.thecorporation.com/index.php?page_id=2

oooh it's deeply nasty stuff and has been banned in our house for a long time, causes poor Pipsqueak no end of problems (as does gluten and cows milk).

We tend to buy lots of organic stuff, both girls have lots of water and pure juice to drink, and we bake lots of gf cakes rather than buying them.

It's a nightmare at parties though, watching out for it when it's not labelled, fortunately, Pipsqueak now prefers to carry her own bottle of water, and at least I know what she's drinking!

Bat