Sign in to follow this  
seasparrow

Emily evicted from Big Brother

For using the '*****' whilst dancing.

Having seen her and what she comes out with sometimes she certainly has many AS attributes.

Here is the conversation:

Emily: (referring to Charley dancing/pushing her hips forward) You pushing it out you ******.

Nicky: (shocked laughter) Em, I can?t believe you said that.

Charley: You are in trouble.

Emily: Don?t make a big thing out of it then. I was joking.

Charley: I know you were? but that?s some serious ######, sorry.

Emily: Why?

Charley: Oh my god. I?m not even saying it.

Nicky: Just don?t talk about it anymore.

Emily: I was joking

Charley: Do you know how many viewers would watch that?

Nicky: Okay, don?t make a big deal out of it.

Charley: Fancy you saying that. I can?t believe you said that.

Emily: Somebody has already used that word in this house.

Charley: No way. (Pause) Yeah, me. I?m a ******.

Nicky laughs.

Charley: I am one. Fancy you saying it. I know maybe you see it in a rap song. Maybe you and your friends sit there saying it.

Emily: I?m friendly with plenty of black people.

Nicky: And you call them *******?

Emily: Yeah and they call me *******. They call me ******* as well.

Nicky: I?m quite shocked.

Charley: I?m ###### in shock.

Emily: It?s not a big deal though is it?

Charley: Not for us it ain?t. ###### me.

I can completely understand her not being aware of what she said being wrong. We know using that word is wrong but when you are around friends saying things like that do slip out very innocently.

My ex-wife was Indian and I spent a lot of time with Indians. I was uncle to 2 boys and they had friends from all races. Words like ******** were often used and always resulted in fits of laughter. I myself would join in using these words and it was acceptable. But I would never think about saying those words to strangers... even though I would say them without any racist thought.

[Paragraph removed]

This is a good example of what is socially acceptable... and what is not.

We can learn :)

Edited by Kathryn

My house is a no big brother zone. I personally find the idea of watching a bunch of self absorbed idiots who then get portriated as celebrities by the media as offensive.

People should be noted for their accomplishments and not for being on a ###### money seeking brainless tv show.

Sorry I just find this kind of thing a waste of space and a reason why people do not respect each more. Tv at its very worst and I cant believe nice people actually can be bothered to talk about it and let the tv compaies think its ok to show this rubbish1

(quote removed by moderator)

Seasparrow, just a gentle reminder that since I have been on this site I have learned that some topics that we start with are better placed in offtopic. I think that is right. I mean some topics do melt into each other, but if we all start talking about Big Brother god know where it will end. I will always talk about it as an offtopic as I have my views. Hoping that you don't mind my suggesting this. I will then tell you what I think of big brother this yeas as an offtopic. Yes I am a sad one, but it is a means of a frantic escape to a nutty world where I can sit and wonder. WHY??? :unsure::unsure::unsure::tearful::tearful::tearful::robbie::robbie::robbie:

Edited by Kathryn

and I cant believe nice people actually can be bothered to talk about it

i talk about it and watch it,can think of much worse things to watch,maybe im not nice though :devil:

I would visit the Channel 4 BB Forums to discuss these matters!

I come here for a break when it gets mad in there, please keep this forum mellowwwwwwwwww! :lol:

Hev

I definetley think you are nice >:D<<'>

Sorry guys we all have our pet hates and this is one of mine :notworthy:

Thanks steviegirl, point taken.

I did look at offtopic but thought that as I was suggesting she may have AS this felt like the best forum. I'm still very new to this and have no problem with a little help now and then :)

I use Big Brother as a show that needs no thinking on my part. It is like an escape. Watching people prance around on TV making complete idiots of themselves is great. They show us how NOT to behave!!! Just a bit of mindless escapism.

I don't mean to offend anyone here but its not obligatory to read a thread that you have no interest in. Big Brother is in the thread title after all ;)

I can completely understand her not being aware of what she said being wrong. We know using that word is wrong but when you are around friends saying things like that do slip out very innocently.

My ex-wife was Indian and I spent a lot of time with Indians. I was uncle to 2 boys and they had friends from all races. Words like ******** were often used and always resulted in fits of laughter. I myself would join in using these words and it was acceptable. But I would never think about saying those words to strangers... even though I would say them without any racist thought.

(rest of quote removed)

I can't believe I'm reading this in the 21st century on this sort of website. It's more like a flashback to the Seventies. And some of the worst parts of the seventies.

No, I NEVER use words like that, in public, within my family or in my head. I used to teach in an Asian area, in one of those 'segregated' towns up North. I have heard them shouted and screamed at children that I have taught whilst out on school trips, and when I have been in the town. They were often followed up by assaults, bottles, spitting, vandalism, housefires.

I detest that kind of mindless, ignorant and vicious response, and I have never found it acceptable in any circumstances. Try and here what someone like Lenny Henry has to say about his youth, and how he laughed and accepted the name-calling as part of the British Experience.

I will not choose to read any more of your posts, as this is how you wish to introduce yourself, and the impression you wish to give. I am totally repulsed by your opinions and will continue to oppose racist behaviour and language with everything I have.

( As I've edited the opening post I've removed the offensive words from the quote as well - K)

Edited by Kathryn

I've edited the opening post to remove the offensive language. I'm sure Seaspoarrow's intention was to illustrate a point rather than to cause offence, but the words themselves are considered deeply insulting by the majority of people and so have no place on the forum.

As this has turned into a discussion of Big Brother, and has little to do with AS right now, I'm booting it over to Off Topic.

Kathryn [with moderating hat on].

Perhaps this may help - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6729673.stm

The BBC clearly uses the N word in its report. On TV today 'Loose Women' also used the word on air.

The use of the N word in reporting is acceptable, as I assumed it would be here. I am mearly quoting what has been said in the media already. Big Brother is going to air the conversation tonight.

The point that she was evicted shows that Big Brother has zero tolerance towards racism which I am in full support of.

New York is the 1st city to actually ban the N word. If you read this report you will see that using words like the N word has become part of life within the younger community. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6407413.stm

My nephews and thier friends were using derogatory words in jest. As they were mostly non-white they all saw the funny side. Of course words and thier meanings change over time and in a way it is good that some words have lost thier true meaning. This is not an excuse to justify wrong words but a reflection of what the younger generation know and understand.

The gay community has taken words that have been used against them and now 'own' those words so they have no impact in a negative way.

btw channel 4 has just used the N word in the channel 4 news!

And the main point was to suggest that Emily has shown some AS attributes. We can and do say things that are completely inappropriate. Racism is obviously inappropriate.

But lets not be hypocrites here!!!! We cant tell the world to accept that we DO say things inappropriately and then condemn someone for actually doing just that!

Edited by seasparrow

Hi Seasparrow,

I do take your point and I accept that you didn't mean to offend. I think it's still widely accepted though, that particular words cause maximum offence and their use, even in reporting, is usually done with sensitivity and caution: I noted that Radio 4 didn't actually use the offensive word in it's 6 pm news bulletin but still managed to give the full context of the story. I still don't see any good reason for allowing this language on the forum: anyone wanting to know all the detalis can turn to a number of other sources.

I can't comment on what's acceptable within your family or in other families: tolerance, irony and a sense of humour are good things, but surely the people best placed to decide which labels are no longer insulting nowadays are those from the particular communities who are affected by them?

Sorry if this sounds "preachy" - I don't mean it to be. As a white former "Rhodesian", I grew up in an environment where racism was the norm and have unthinkingly done and said many things I regret.

K

Hi,

I know i shouldn't enter into discussion on this topic, but i found it really offensive that BB actually aired the "word" last night. My children are mixed race and i find it really shocking that people still think it's acceptable to use these words. If someone called my children or my partner that "word", i'd be gutted. I felt sorry for Charley, as she was clearly hurt by the remark, but didn't want to get Emily into trouble.

I wonder if Emily knows what the word actually means? If she did, she should be calling herself it.

Right, that's my piece, now i'm leaving this topic.

Loulou xx