shamu

"Later start" for SEN placement

I've just had DS's new nursery teacher come to visit and was a bit shocked to find out he will be starting about 3 weeks after his non SEN class :huh: She explained it was because the new children are often unsettled so they like to settle them in first then bring in the SEN children :o So, he's already "different" and this is just sending out more messages to reinforce that. I don't know if I like this idea really, as he NEEDS the educational opportunity MORE than the "neurotypical" kids imho. Plus I now can't enrol into any classes with my younger DD for the term as he can't come along too :(

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm trying to put a positive spin on it (eg we'll go on holiday for a week making the most of cheaper fares etc) but I feel a bit put out. I know he's not yet 5 so doesn't HAVE to be accessing education but he will gain a lot from those missed 3 weeks....

Shamu

;)

Thoughts of disability discrimination are coming into my mind. Why should he be treated differently from day one? Maybe I'm overreacting? What do others think?

Thoughts of disability discrimination are coming into my mind. Why should he be treated differently from day one? Maybe I'm overreacting? What do others think?

That's what my gut instinct is.... Plus he has a statement which is MEANT to be for a full school year, not 3 weeks later than all the rest..... Not sure who I shoudl take this up with though, as if I burn my bridges with this placement I'm unlikely to get any support for an alternative.....

Shamu

;)

When my lad was in primary, they always asked me to start him back after holidays a few days after everyone else so as to settle the class first. It wasn't a problem for me, I could see the sense in it and I knew it would also be for my lad's benefit. Three weeks does seem a bit OTT, though. I would have thought three days would be more appropriate, a week at the most.

~ Mel ~

I agree with Mel, a later start would make sense....they do it at our secondary school for new Year 7's (later start in the day, not year)....but 3 weeks seems a little excessive :unsure:

I am sorry but I think that is awful and I would look into talking to the head of the school and maybe even the LEA to find out if this is policy!

Apart from being discrimination it makes NO sense!

if anything it would make more sense to start the kids with SEN off BEFORE the others as then they will have a chance to get used to the school, class, teachers etc before meeting all the other children rather than expecting them to walk into a class already used to each other which is scary enough for any child let alone children who struggle with change.

I really do not understand how these schools can get away with these stupid and unfair ideas, afterall there are NO other groups of children they would try this with are there?

Hi .A nursery that I used to work at staggered the start of all new children.New starters began at nursery at the rate of one or two per week.Even children who started staying for lunch were introduced gradually.If one child is upsett and lots of other new children are around it can be ''contageous''.

The Nursey Teachers were also careful to start children that were sibblings and were expected to settle easily first as a happy atmosphere helps more anxious children feel settled.

Perhaps the way the nursey have handled the situation is not the most sensitive.However I think it may be worth having a friendly chat with the nursery -they may have good intentions and have just not communicated them well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Having been around at nursery when staff have worked to settle unhappy new starters I would preffer my child to miss a few weeks and start in a happy atmosphere.Karen.

Hi, my son started on half days when the others started on full days. I hated this and we complained bitterly until he was put up to full time. If all children are staggered then I wouldn't mind but, as you said, this puts him apart from the "norm" as soon as he starts school. It also impacts on the rest of your family as they have sprung it on you after you had already made arrangements. Go for 'em!!!

He's only there for 2 and a half hours a day so it's no big deal, just a bit inconvenient (I was hoping to stay off work for September to settle him in and start to see whether it was suiting him but now I'll have to wait until after half term I think.....

I do think it puts him at a disadvantage. He has limited (err, non existent) social skills and NEEDS to see the others behaviour in order to progress and start taking steps forward. I'm a bit aghast as this is a mainstream nursery with special needs spaces on the site of a Special School with an autsim base :wallbash: So they can't claim to have no understanding of ASD :rolleyes: Also, if it was a case of "oh we start 10 children on such and such a date and the rest later" I wouldn't feel so uneasy. It's the attitude that DS will be unsettled (which he won't - he's one of the most passive autistic children I have ever come across and I've seen it all in my professional life :P ) and that's an inconvenience so they'll put it off a bit.

If it were a few days that would be better, but 3 weeks is a lot of opportunities missed. If I wanted to take him on a three week holiday during term time I wouldn't be allowed................

I think I'm going to phone the parent partnership tomorrow....

Thanks for your replies

Shamu

;)

My son started primary school part time (the other children did too but my son's part time lasted till October half term). I was upset at the time, he wasn't diagnosed at that point.

It did get over with and he was fine but I remember feeling very upset and hurt at the time as well as worried about what impact this would have on his friendships with other children / him standing out etc.

Hope you find some resolution (and enjoy your term time holiday! We still go on holiday in term time as it's too busy at any other time!.)

It is one thing to start the children in a staggered way, a few at a time over a week or so, but TOTALLY another to delay them by 3 whole weeks solely because of being a child with special needs !

I hope you do get to the bottom of it hun, good point on the 3 weeks holiday btw.