mumble_rocks

I am sooo proud!

I got asked to have this on the college intranet and my lecture has asked that he can copy it to show other lectureres! :)

HAve a look if you want it was part of an assignment so is long...O and I got a Distinction!!WOOHOO

Outdoor activities for all!

Everyone should be able to enjoy the benefits of outdoor activities, no matter what level of fitness or disabilities they have.

? Challenges of the outdoor activity

Outdoor activity has a lot of challenges to offer than just the original activity. The challenge may be the change in weather, group dynamics as well as the challenge of the task it self. However, I feel that everyone should be able to experience this as it raises self esteem, confidence and social skills.

? Resources limit participation of those with disabilities

Centres are unable to offer full participation in outdoor activities to those with disabilities due to lack of adapted equipment, this may be due to lack of funding, or just not knowing what adapted equipment is needed. There is also the issue of lack of understanding and instructors not having suitable knowledge of these difficulties. This will affect their teaching methods as well as an understanding of those with emotional behavioural difficulties. There is also a huge barrier that is impossible to over come in natural surroundings; this barrier is the terrain in which an activity takes place.

Funding cannot really be used as a reason for someone with disabilities not to be allowed to partake in outdoor activities. The reason for this is that there is funding available through charities and lottery grants for centres wishing to include those with special needs. The reason for this is that adapted equipment is more expensive as there are normally extra resources needed; also companies are aware that centres will pay the price for the equipment as they will need it, so the companies make it more expensive. When it comes to the terrain issue, some centres have and are dealing with this issue by making man made activities that resemble an outdoor setting, this makes it easier for the participant to experience the activity.

A centre wouldn?t dream of not training someone in first aid so why don?t they feel that they need to train people in disability awareness?

In order for instructors to be aware of different disabilities the centre may choose to send them on a training course, if funding is thought to be an issue, the centre may choose to appoint one person to go on training then this person can be assigned to a group where assistance of someone with an understanding is required, this person can also pass necessary knowledge onto other instructors.

Some centres may turn around and say ?the course is full, we don?t have the correct faculties to allow person x to take part?. Yes, both of these may be legitimate but at the same time an excuse not to accept someone due to having a disability, this is discrimination and yes it is against the law under the disability discrimination act but unfortunately it does still happen! The centre may just be plain ignorant and not accepting or there may be a general fear of not being familiar with the situation of inclusiveness of special needs. A lot of this comes down to not knowing what to say or how to act with someone with a disability. This can be overcome by honesty of the centre to ask questions rather then just turn the person away. It is also important to find out if assistance is required rather than presuming it is.

In my opinion there is no reason why someone with a disability cannot take part in any outdoor activity with the aid of adapted equipment and well-trained staff to deal with all kinds of disabilities. To aid the centre it is important that someone wishing to take part in an activity at any centre tells them of any disabilities so that the centre can full fill any requirements and be prepared for the person.

I also feel that there is no reason why someone with a disability can not lead a group as well as someone without a disability.

If someone with a disability was to lead an able or disabled group it would show the group that the industry has benefits to all abilities and show that the outdoor industry can adapt to suit those wanting to take part in outdoor activities (even if an able bodies person had to aid a disabled instructor or by adapted equipment) otherwise they would be unable to achieve their full potential. This is also true for the Paralympics as there are so many people with disabilities of different severities all taking part in sports that were designed for able bodied people and have been adapted to suit the individuals needs. For some this can be achieved with adapted equipment, an able bodied companion or even by adding/deduction of points to make people of different disabilities able to participate on an even keel. This is commonly used in sailing such as a person who has had a single upper body amputation allowed to take part in the same race as that of someone with a double upper body amputation.

It is important to remember that everyone with the same disability will experience slightly different problems and will have different ways to adapt.

I feel very strongly as I have a few learning difficulties, one of which is Dyspraxia this has given me extra barriers, that 4 years ago would have prevented me of taking part in many activities. Now, I have completed my one star kayaking award using an adapted kayak (its weighted to make it harder to capsize) and completed the Bronze Duke Of Edinburgh Award, part of which was an expedition, allowances where made in that I didn?t carry a full expedition bag otherwise when I do fall, which is fairly often it would be more likely to cause injury to myself.

If someone would have told me 4 years ago I would go kayaking on a regular basis and taking part in expeditions of various levels I would have said ?Yeah, right! But, in four years I have managed to find ways around these barriers and where threes no other no way round it I have the ?I have just got to get on with it attitude?

How have I managed to over come these issues? Well I found Outdoor Education and unlike some people I was lucky that people who got me involved in Outdoor Education had confidence in my ability and have been able to help me when my disability poses a problem. I also don?t find social situations that easy; this has also improvement dramatically since join a Scout Group with is dedicated to include those with special needs. Although, I have attended outdoor activates at some centres where there is no or very little awareness of those with disabilities. This has resulted in being excluded from some activities while there.

Before I started getting involved in this I would be very withdrawn, would not speak to people and lacked confidence and self esteem which had been knocked due to people not having any confidence in me. However, 4 years later you can?t get me to shut up!

Due to having first hand experience of the affect Outdoor Education could have on people with disabilities if there were allowed to participant, I feel that it important for people to realise that outdoor education can change everyone both able and less able bodies people.

Guest Lya of the Nox

well done !!!!

now off to see what mumble has done today

xxx

What a fantastic, clear and well-structured piece of writing!

You deserve the distinction, and a large chunk of chocolate cake. :eat:

Apparently, that's also a thing that Mumbles do.

Edited by Bard

Thanks all! Mumble I cant find it!

The chocolate cake? :eat::sick: Absolutely nothing to do with me. Honest. Crumbs round my mouth - oh no, they're from last week - you remember that healthy carrot cake I had . . . :whistle:

Oh, you mean my post!!! It's in the positive thread (Off Topic).

Sorry, I've taken over your thread :oops:

Was have a glass or two to me??

Surely not, underage and all that malarkey.

Stick to chocolate cake.

Surely not, underage and all that malarkey.

Stick to chocolate cake.

What under 5?!!! In your own home you can drink it from that age. In a pub you can drink it with a meal from 16. However your not allowed to buy it till 18. Have to love the UK don't you. :) Chocolate cake sounds good too though. :eat:

mumble rocks,

Well done a very well written assignment, I throughly enjoyed reading it.

Very impressive, celebrate in your most favourite way, be it a glass of the hard stuff, chocolate cake or what ever but most of all just smile and enjoy being very proud, which is what you should be, you worked hard.

Clare x x x

I think I will give the Alco a miss seroides and it dont mix!!

Choco cake sounds good although I had to settle with a Choc and Mint coneto instead! :rolleyes:

Thank you all again!! >:D<<'>

I have now got the confidence to spread this around and try to get more people aware! Has anyone got any ideas on who to contact, or should I just leave it as it is?

Oooooh yes Mumble rocks, I definately think you should share it around, but not sure how, hopefully someone on here might have an idea.

Good luck and spread the word !!!!

Clare x