jaalka

employment for 18+

Thanks pearl (I knew it was you marge).

It's just great to be able to tell something good that has happened because just a few years ago it was all bad news for all 3 of the kids.

The eldest was living on the streets and the youngest was at home with no services at all. We had to home educate him because all that was on offer was mainstream. And as you know we were fighting to keep our daughter from being locked up.

My eldest has been in employment for a couple of years now and lives in a council flat and my youngest is in a lovely Autistic school.

Things have certainly changed for the better for all of my kids. (I'm just waiting for my body to start to repair itself now so I can have a life too)

Wow pixie, got a lump in my throat reading that. Well done you for fighting so hard for all of your children, and fantastic that all your (& their) hard work is paying off.

Welcome pixie. :)

That's a really great story and very encouraging to me as I'm wondering what the future holds for my 18 year old. She had a late dx and a similarly turbulent time during her school years, - I hope she finds her niche like your daughter has.

K x

Been a little too busy recently to jump on the forum but...

Psychometric tests aren't that new. I did my first one for employment 12+ years ago. The last one I did was in March.

I will admit that I was sceptical when I first did one. I didnt see how the type of questions they ask could tell them an awful lot about me. Theoretically if the tests are done properly, you shouldnt see your results but they should be interpreted for you. I actually did see one of my tests and was quite amazed at how accurate it was about me.

As I have said before, I have never NOT hired someone purely because of their test results. I interview first, then test and if something comes out of the test results that I am really concerned about, I will conduct a second interview.

In all the time I have had anything to do with these tests, I think I have only ever seen one come back that actually recommended we hired the person. Most of them come back boarderline and it's down to interpretation.

Myers-Briggs is actually a useful tool. I am a INTJ which I read somewhere is actually the predominant characteristics for an AS person. Dont know if that is true, although if you google "INTJ" you will get some interesting results.

If someone takes a test and the test says "I would rather spend time alone" or "I dont like social interaction" then the answer to that is whatever the honest answer is. I answer those questions truthfully and my results come out as not a team player... a leader

Dont be scared of psychometric testing - it is nothing more than a tool.

I think your method of interviewing first, then testing, is quite reassuring KMC. JP was done the other way round, however as I said I dont think the test had any bearing on him not getting the job.

It does surprise me theres not more uniformity in these large organisations - the university job did psychometric testing, the city council job didnt. Of the two experiences, we far preferred the city council one, they seemed so much more flexible.

I don't think you understand as much as I do about psychometric testing. Most organisations do have ideal and non-ideal profiles, not just for individual positions, but for the organisation as a whole. Often the ideal profile isn't one that people with AS are likely to have because most organisations prefer team playing extroverts who can recognise social cues.

I find the concept of interviewing, then testing, then another interview a good move if psychometric tests are used. However, very few organisations do this. Usually the tests come before the interview, and either the results are brought up at the interview, or analysed whilst the interview is taking place without the interviewers knowing the outcome until after the interview.

Something I want to do is offer a large number of young teenagers with AS the Myers-Briggs test and find out which of the 16 types are the most and least common. I will assume the results are honest because the test isn't being done for something specific and few young teenagers will have any idea of what the Myers-Briggs test is used for.

I don't think you understand as much as I do about psychometric testing. Most organisations do have ideal and non-ideal profiles, not just for individual positions, but for the organisation as a whole. Often the ideal profile isn't one that people with AS are likely to have because most organisations prefer team playing extroverts who can recognise social cues.

I find the concept of interviewing, then testing, then another interview a good move if psychometric tests are used. However, very few organisations do this. Usually the tests come before the interview, and either the results are brought up at the interview, or analysed whilst the interview is taking place without the interviewers knowing the outcome until after the interview.

Something I want to do is offer a large number of young teenagers with AS the Myers-Briggs test and find out which of the 16 types are the most and least common. I will assume the results are honest because the test isn't being done for something specific and few young teenagers will have any idea of what the Myers-Briggs test is used for.

Canopus, if you can do it by email/pm, I'm sure JP would be happy to give it a go. :)

Canopus, if you can do it by email/pm, I'm sure JP would be happy to give it a go. :)

When I get a bit of time I will implement it as a web application. I nice piece of PHP and MySQL programming.

I've not seen this before, but a found an online version here:

Personality Test

I have to say I felt very uncomfortable by some of the questions - I answered it totally truthfully because this was just for a bit of fun but I could see this having serious consequences, and there are so many problems with psychometric testing anyway. I was annoyed at the negative wording of some items that could be read as autistic traits. Autism is not a negative and we need to change this perception.

I came out as an INTJ btw.

Theres several peeps on the INTJ list with AS, or suspected - Dan Ackroyd, Jane Austen et al.

Me, I have 2 queens in mine, Our Gracious Majesty and Mary 1 :ph34r:

I've not seen this before, but a found an online version here:

Personality Test

I have to say I felt very uncomfortable by some of the questions - I answered it totally truthfully because this was just for a bit of fun but I could see this having serious consequences, and there are so many problems with psychometric testing anyway. I was annoyed at the negative wording of some items that could be read as autistic traits. Autism is not a negative and we need to change this perception.

I came out as an INTJ btw.

You have to remember that these psychometric tests were developed during the mid 20th century by people who were unaware of the existence of AS. They might not produce valid meaningful results for people with AS or HFA.

I'm EIFP.

With the F scoring FOUR times higher than some other percentages.

So, unbalanced too!

:bounce:

I'm a champion idealist.

Edited by Bard

Apparently I'm ISTJ with the 'I' at 78% ; 'S' 1% '' T' 1% and the 'J' at 44% ....yes not exactly 100% (total 124% ??)

Not convinced ....apparently I'm neat and tidy - they haven't seem my kitchen table.

Louise

My scores were 22% 38% 88% and 11% which makes a total of 159%

Will you still be my friends, even if none of my letters match yours? I just checked the typology, and EIFP is totally opposite to ISTJ. I told Mumble that when I did the Cambridge 'Autistic' test, I scored 9.

Edited by Bard

I'll still be your friend Bard (provided there's still a place for me in the suitcase) - opposites are supposed to attract and all that. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

On the scores, they shouldn't add up to 100%. Each percentage is the level of indicators for that trait that you show, from not at all (0%) to totally describing your personality as self-reported (100%). From what I can gather, the four letter code attributed to each person is a 'best fit' profile. The percentages actually say a lot more than the code, and when reading the description of the code you need to bear in mind where you fall on each indicator.

These are just indicators though and shouldn't be taken as anything more. Canopus is absolutely right in that they were developed mid-20th century with very weak understanding and in a different cultural environment to today (1950s Britain was not the same as 21st century technologically driven Britain). If these were being used as a major selection criteria then quite frankly that wouldn't be a company I would want to work with - someone who puts their full trust in generalised psychometric tests isn't someone who is questionning about things and not the sort of person I would want to be around.

I assume there would be a corralation between these scores and scores on the AQ as the items do overlap quite a lot. This wouldn't be surprising, hence it wouldn't be surprising that a number of AS people come out as INTJ. But that says nothing really about the individual - categorising like this does nothing to really highlight individual strengths and weaknesses. Just as knowing that someone is AS isn't the answer but a way in to understanding them better.

I think these psychometric profiling tests were designed to be administered by professional psychologists rather than used by companies to select candidates for jobs. Companies that use psychometric tests could be misusing a tool.

A few years ago I was in the Cairo Egyptology museum. On display were many tools of types that are still in production today. One tool not used by ancient Egyptians are screwdrivers. They were invented in Europe during the 17th century to insert and remove threaded fasteners. Despite being such a recently invented tool, people have found more ways of misusing a screwdriver than any other tool.

Oh you can't leave us in suspense like that Canopus! :lol:

Examples of misusing screwdrivers please, preferably funny.

Head for 'Off Topic' Pearl!!! :lol: :lol:

I thought the analogy was a good one.

One of my OH's focused interests is antique woodworking tools, and believe me, it is possible to misuse a screwdriver in many ways.

Usually by people who try and make it do a range of jobs that it is not designed for.

It's not a chisel, a bradel, an awl. It is not for opening paint pots, or any other kind of prising.

One of the key resolutions in our marriage is that I have my own tool kit!

Head for 'Off Topic' Pearl!!! :lol: :lol:

I got a lot more uses for a plastic cup on our work team building day. They particularly liked "seat for a squirrel".

Yup, I noticed that too Pearl :lol: I think we should change our usernames to Mother Pearl and Saint Baggy :whistle:

Is that 'mother Pearl' or 'Mother of Pearl' because she has such a beautiful glow to her skin??

Can't comment on 'Saint Bagpuss' except to say it just dosen't have that certain ring to it compared to some of the other Saints.

Louise

Can't comment on 'Saint Bagpuss' except to say it just dosen't have that certain ring to it compared to some of the other Saints.

Louise

You mean like Saint Beginus?

Yup, I noticed that too Pearl :lol: I think we should change our usernames to Mother Pearl and Saint Baggy :whistle:

Just what we need, a couple of miracle workers on the forum! :lol:

Form an orderly queue please.

Is that 'mother Pearl' or 'Mother of Pearl' because she has such a beautiful glow to her skin??

Louise

You noticed! B) I cant claim credit, its the fake tan wot does it.

hello all... have been away on annual hols .... great reading about your daughter, Pixie. It does give hope. And Pearl and Canopus, it was interesting reading your thoughts and views on psychometric testing. J is about to start a work prep course at the RBLI next week. It's been a distressing six months. I'm hoping there's light at the end of the tunnel. I appreciate all your comments. I will be in touch again with, hopefully, some positive news on the work prep course. Jaalka x]

Hi jaalka, hope you had a good time, this thread has gone off into all kinds of highways & byways in your absence but its been interesting.

Wishing J loads of good luck on his work prep course. Whats RBLI?

Im currently a 3rd year learning disability branch nurse student at sheffield university with a diagnosis of aspergers.

I can sympathise with alot of the problems people are voicing with worries for their childrens futures as they come of age. It concerns me that the job centre's have no real clear trainning or provision for aspergers. Having been on the dole myself for 18 months (sincerly trying to find work) Ive just come to the conclusion that they utterly inept at the job and it is not just a problem which can be retified through trainning. Its the fundamental attitude of the entire branch of government, it appears to have forgotten that it provides a service to the public. They seem to operate a role reversal at times

I would honestly recomend working in healthcare for someone with aspergers, particularly working with disabled people. You may think to yourself, hold on someone with a social skills issue going into a job requiring alot of non-verbal communication and understanding? If your thinking that you need to actually step outside the box for a few seconds here. Ive read on this site and heard many parents talk about what their child is capable of, and retorting to the comments of someone like myself is more "functional" then i their son/daughter....

For your sakes and theirs you must break out of that mindset that an invisible barrier of limitation exerts itself over them. It doesn't really exist, and it only seeds a self-fullfilling prophecy in people. There is honestly no reason why someone with aspergers cannot do a mulitple range of jobs, and perhaps to a better degree then the average population....

Now back to my recomendation.

The communication issue really is more of an advantage with AS. In a sense, being an unorthodox, non-judgemental communicator is acutally an assest. If you are not presuming assumptions about the state of a persons ability to communicate (just becase they can't talk) then really you've already lost half the battle of connecting to the other person. If you think of it in terms of developing your own understanding as a person with AS it also works the other way around. Here are individuals who you have to read non-verbally. Your gonna get alot of practice and understanding in communication here. Day in day out in this job you learn and you gain experiance in communicating. Outside of the ground level work you are having to fight, advocate and assert for these peoples rights to be included in the wider community, to access generic services and fight the prejudice and discrimination still out there in the wide world. Your involved in policy making, auditing, clinical governance, working with a team of other diciplines such as speach and language therapists, occupaional therapists, physio's (quote ad infitum list of therapists) that you liase with and input into the delivery of care. You even work with other people with aspergers sometimes who access learning disability services for various reasons.

Its a fantastic field to work in with a huge window of opportunity for various careers.

If you want any more info your free to e-mail me at my add below

sickofish @ Hotmail.com (ignore the spaces)

I have AS and I work as senior care staff in a residesi school for children and young adults with severe epilepsy and autism.

I am fairly ancient (in my 40s) and I didn't start out in this field. I only started this job just over 2 and a half years ago when my DS went to residesi...but I have to say that it has proved to be the ideal job for me :D

I have never been able to cope with a career that 'matched' my academic qualifications, but at last I feel that have found a career with potential and a future even if it doesn't 'match' my qualification profile.

I love my job, and at the end of the summer term I was promoted to Team Leader :D

Bid

Edited by bid

Thanks, Pearl :)

I should also say that two other things make my job perfect for me...

I only work during the term-time, so I have the school hols off which I need to sort of 'recover', plus I work nights which is ideal for me on loads of levels.

Bid

Edited by bid

Hi jaalka, hope you had a good time, this thread has gone off into all kinds of highways & byways in your absence but its been interesting.

Wishing J loads of good luck on his work prep course. Whats RBLI?

Hello Pearl. Thanks for the good luck wishes. RBLI= Royal British Legion Industries (www.rbli.co.uk "EMPLOYMENT SOLUTIONS), based at Aylesford in Maidstone. Wondering whether Mr P aware of such work prep courses for people on DLA/IB??? Not feeling too positive about it as when J and I visited to meet them, there was a noticeboard showing where other clients had been placed for work experience and it listed: Sainburys and a Sports Centre locally... not areas in which J wld even want to consider, especially as he's wanting to wrk in London. However I will do my utmost to motivate J in attending. Will keep you informed.