Lynden

Went to a well known theme park today

"Admission Charges.

.. XX does not wish to discriminate against guests with special needs therefore the full admission rate will be charged. Wheelchair bound guests are admitted free of charge as some rides do not have wheelchair access. Carers must pay full admission."

I was quite surprised at that! I think even if they just charged and didn't say anything, but to spout the non-discrimination ######! I cheated anyway and got Logan in for under 90cms. The girl said oooh you'll have to get him to stand up against that ruler. Erm yeah, he's autistic, he doesn't walk outside, and there's no way on earth you'll get him standing up against your ruler!

He was in his major buggy (he doesn't walk outside) so looked really little, and is really petite for his age anyways, he's 4 in two weeks but is only 29lbs and 96cms. The young girl didn't want to let us in with him free but her supervisor was lovely. I did say that he was autistic. The girl made a point of telling us if we got him in under 90cms then he wouldn't get on any of the rides for over 90cms......like that would be a problem for Logan!

We really went for Leona, although Logan loved the visual aspect of it all so was really well behaved today - did lots of stimming so we got lots of stares but that doesn't really bother me.

normally I would feel bad about fibbing about his height etc but I dont see why I should have to pay full price when I know that he wont go on any rides :rolleyes:

I'm actually tempted to write and complain!

That aside we did have a fantastic day!!

Lynne x

If he was in his Major buggy then surely he goes in as a wheelchair user!!!! That is a wheelchair in all intents and purposes until they are big enough for a paediatric chair!

I would write and complain!

A x

If he was in his Major buggy then surely he goes in as a wheelchair user!!!! That is a wheelchair in all intents and purposes until they are big enough for a paediatric chair!

I would write and complain!

A x

That's what I think - you say he doesn't walk outside so basically he is intitled to the same discount as a wheelchair 'guest'.

Glad that it didn't ruin your day out.

Louise

"Admission Charges.

.. XX does not wish to discriminate against guests with special needs therefore the full admission rate will be charged. Wheelchair bound guests are admitted free of charge as some rides do not have wheelchair access. Carers must pay full admission."

Well I've heard it all now. And dont they know you're not supposed to say wheelchair BOUND any more, its wheelchair USER the last time I checked!

Don't know which park you're referring to, but last year we went to a park near London - before C was diagnosed.

Due to some confusion at the gate (admittedly, what I was hoping for!) we managed to get in without paying for him.

All went well until he wanted to go on the mini-driving school, where kids have to be 3 years old. He was certainly tall enough, and I'm pretty sure he would have managed the car OK, but the ride operator insisted on asking all the kids their age. At that point, C wouldn't answer any stranger's questions (even if he had understood it, which I'm pretty sure he didn't).

To cut a long story short, because he wouldn't answer they wouldn't take my word for it (huh!) - the only evidence they would accept would have been an admission ticket - which he didn't have. Stupid me, though, when the operator asked how many in our party, I was honest and said 5 (despite the fact that my wife was elsewhere with my 2 daughters - so she would never have known if I'd replied 4) - but of course I only had 4 tickets... So C got to experience the disappointment of queueing but not getting on - he was pretty upset, as were my wife and myself.

I had intended to write a letter of complaint - even if we'd known C was ASD, I'm sure there are plenty of 3 year olds who would refuse to answer that question.

Phil

Hi

Just to let you know, took OJ to Chessington last week. I took a letter confirming diagnosis of AS, Tourettes etc and was told at the entrance to go to an office in the Main Square. Lady looked briefly at the letter, gave OJ a yellow band and we were able to go on all the rides without queuing up - fantastic!!!

Apart from the fact that OJ doesn't actually like rides!!! Went in Bubble works twice and some laser shooting thing!!

Stella

I'm sorry to hear you've been to a bum theme park and were treated badly :( and that quote ".. XX does not wish to discriminate against guests with special needs therefore the full admission rate will be charged." is really shocking!!! I'm amazed they get away with that in this day and age. Glad to hear it didn't spoil your day though.

We've been to Chessington, Legoland and Alton Towers and all were great re disabilities. We had to take proof, which in our case was a DLA letter. We got carers in free and/or reductions in price, can't remember how much unfortunately and were given "exit pass" wristbands or hands stamped so we didn't have to queue for anything.

That's not on. Makes me mad when they quote that, seen other theme parks use the 'don't want to discriminate ' line for not allowing people with SENs to use the exits for rides instead making someone queue up whilst they hang around. That's not much use for a child with autism.

I'd complain if I were you

Lx

That's not on. Makes me mad when they quote that, seen other theme parks use the 'don't want to discriminate ' line for not allowing people with SENs to use the exits for rides instead making someone queue up whilst they hang around. That's not much use for a child with autism.

I'd complain if I were you

Lx

Q went there this week also, and they made her get her youngest out of her buggy to be measured (she's 18m ffs) and she didn't want to get back in the buggy obviously as she's keen on walking and the woman then asked her to get out of the way to let someone else pay whilst she was fighting to get her back in the buggy. Q told her that she made her get her out of the buggy so she'd just have to wait till she got her back in!

I did write about the Special needs thing though - its ridiculous.

Lynne x