Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Being left handed

Both my girlies are left handed. Just wondering if I should be buying them anything in particular? I've seen left handed scissors on a site, which I hadn't even thought of, being right handed myself.

Are there particular things which left handed peeps struggle to use, and if so, what are the alternatives available?

Thanks all :)

BTW, if anyone knows what makes someone prefer their right or left hand, I'd love to know!

I bought my ds scissors, a ruler, a sharpener and a protractor.

He also has a LH fountain pen and a LH stabilo s'move pen.

He struggles to use the potato peeler and the tin opener, and my LHed friend loves her LH bread knife.

I don't think you can realise how strange/difficut it is for LH people to use RH things, until you try and use their LH things. I cannot write with his LH fountain pen, and it is difficult to cut on the line using LH scissors.

www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk has some wonderful ideas.

Guest Lya of the Nox

scissors

tying shoelaces

writing, it smudges as u do it

cant think of anything else at the mo :rolleyes:

leftie scissors would be a good idea tho

that web site is brill

xx

I am left handed and so are both my boys! I don't use anything different to right handed people and neither do my boys.................... I found that if people tried to make me do something different when I was younger it didn't help me at all and I actually do quite a lot of things with my right hand!!

I wouldn't worry about getting left handed gadgets etc it is not worth the money and is not necessary.

Hi

Both me and my dh are lefthanded and both boys are righthanded!

The one thing that springs to mind is DON'T get them to use a lefthanded mouse on computer. If they learn with normal righthanded one the benefits are huge, using the phone whilst on computer, writing things down etc. This is one area where we lefthanders have an advantage!!

I have got to teach OJ how to tie shoelaces and do up a tie before september. Any ideas how to do this when he is righthanded and I am lefthanded????

Stella x

I am left handed & apart from writing & holding the phone with my left hand, I use my right hand for everything else. I've never had any problems. Although I do remember when I was in Primary 2 my dragon of a teacher tried to make me write with my right hand. She used to pick on me every day & made my life hell! :angry: I remember she would hit my left hand with a ruler so that I couldn't use it & always try to humiliate me! My mum went ballistic & nearly punched her! I ended up being moved to another class which was great! Though I did get her again the following year but she was well & truly warned! She left soon after that. I did eventually get my revenge on the ###### years later! When I was in Primary 7 we went to a residential school down in The Borders for 2 weeks with another school. Guess who their teacher was?? Yep it was her! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her! All my Christmas's came at once! :clap: My mum warned me too be good! Yeah right! :devil: Anyway what goes around comes around & I made her life sheer hell for 2 weeks! Justice or what!! It was great!! :thumbs:

My eldest son now 19 is left handed and he learned to do his tie up just turning the tie round the opposite direction to me and he manages ok.The left handed scissors help a lot but careful they are sharper than some of the junior paper scissors.

There is a site that may be helpful called www. anythinglefthanded.co.uk.

All the best

Mand

It's 50 - 50 in our house: my son and I are "righties" and my daughter and husband are "lefties". I don't think we we ever got any left handed products for her, apart from a pair of child scissors when she was learning to cut. She seemed to manage reasonably OK without them - hard to tell as she has always found physical skills difficult to master anyway.

Do you know you can get left handed cheque books? My dh took it into his head to order one - for our joint account. Boy was it annoying! :lol:

K x