Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

new t shirt

my son usually changes his clothing at least 3-4 times a day for one reason or another, itchy or hes had them on for more than a hour therefore there dirty :rolleyes: however i bought him a new t shirt from the supermarket for 1.50 with the slogan 'my mum rocks' on it, he loves it to the point that he wont part with it, he has worn it for 6 days now and, although it still looks spotless, i need to wash it, any ideas on how to get it off him without a argument, i even tried buying another one but they had sold out, i dont really want to resort to bribery as this would give the wrong message, ive never had this before, is this normal behaviour for a child with asperger's, or is he just being a awkward 7yr old :unsure:

my son usually changes his clothing at least 3-4 times a day for one reason or another, itchy or hes had them on for more than a hour therefore there dirty :rolleyes: however i bought him a new t shirt from the supermarket for 1.50 with the slogan 'my mum rocks' on it, he loves it to the point that he wont part with it, he has worn it for 6 days now and, although it still looks spotless, i need to wash it, any ideas on how to get it off him without a argument, i even tried buying another one but they had sold out, i dont really want to resort to bribery as this would give the wrong message, ive never had this before, is this normal behaviour for a child with asperger's, or is he just being a awkward 7yr old :unsure:

I think it is normal for an AS person. I have a fairly limited collection of clothes and several items where I have 2/3 of the same (especially T-shirts) - makes people think I don't change my clothes, but that's their problem. I often buy clothes from charity shops because a) my local charity shop arranges everything by colour and I can just shop in the 'blue' section :lol:, b)if I find something too irritating (and not resolvable by wearing a cotton T-shirt underneath) I haven't wasted lots of money and c) 2nd hand clothes are normally more worn and so much softer.

A couple of things:

1. Does he wear it to bed? Could you wash it overnight as a compromise?
  2. Is there another branch of the same supermarket that might have one?
  3. Does the supermarket have online shopping so you could get another one?
  4. Maybe get you son to 'help' you wash it so that he can see where it is all the time.
  5. Does another supermarket do a similar product - many supermarkets buy from the same manufacturers?
  6. If you can get a customer support telephone number/email/address for the supermarket could you cantact them and explain - they may well be able to send you some replacements
  7. For next time - if it's a fairly cheap item like this, consider buying two 'just in case'. Do you know anyone with a similar sized child who would take them off you if your son wouldn't wear them?

OOOOooh, I like the sound of that t-shirt!

What about buying some cheap plain tees and some fabric felt pens or paints, and let your son design his own. It would be a fun task and he may create such a masterpiece he will willingly pass the "my mum rocks" top over!

Lisa xx

My eldest dd (9 AS) has difficulties with clothing, and how it feels on her. She won't wear certain "types" of clothing, like hipsters, socks which you wear with trainers, anything with spaghetti straps, anything with a belt, anything fiddly, anything which feels loose around her waist or feels alittle too long in the leg. I rarely buy her anything, without her trying it on first. The fit is incredibly important to her. It must "feel" right on her. She has no fashion sense at all, and infact, choosing clothing really upsets her, so she's asks me to put out what to wear each day. Good luck with the T Shirt, I'd try washing it overnight, as Mumble has suggested.

thanks for the replies i have tried washing it overnight but he puts it under his pillow with a note saying DONT TOUCH :lol: i will try again

i like the idea of make your own t shirt, that sounds fun ;)

what shop is it from? am can have a look around online,and if it's from asda,am could check in local one next thursday.

not wanting to change is a common thing amongst all levels on the spectrum.

am a kanners autistic and cannot tolerate changing until the unclean feeling on the clothes makes am scratch skin off,and then am agree to change.

am have two pairs of the same asda soft combat trousers and two short sleeve m&s shirts of the same,am do recommend getting more than one of the same thing if he likes it,because they might not be there when needed later on,this happened to am when am bought a cat quilt cover from asda,am thought they would be there always so did not buy another spare,haven't been able to find it in asda since,so am just use the one cover and it is put straight back on after washing/drying.

a LF kanners autistic am used to live with would attack staff if her clothes were not washed in time for her to put them on after her bath,it was the same tight tshirt,and jeans everyday,she had them that long that they did not even fit her anymore.

an aspergan autistic am also know likes to wear the same pink tracksuit trousers and top [by a brand called bear],but finds it easy to change to different clothes.

a problem with change is more obvious within kanners than aspergers,but it can be a big part of a persons aspergers,or not be a problem at all.

part of it is to do with the routine of having being wearing the clothing,as well as not liking the actual change over.

Don't have any advice that would help for this situation. But I would try to ascertain exactly what it is about the t-shirt that he loves, is it the material, the positioning of seams or label, is it a smell, colour, or the slogan itself? Once you know this, it will help you shop in future. If you find out what it is he really likes, you can bulk-buy.

C is extremely fussy about clothes, he has certain "rules" and it has taken me a while to work them out. All clothing must have long sleeves, long legs (no shorts, t-shirts), trousers must match top, it must be royal blue, grey, or dark green, it must be fleece-lined (this removes the need to wear underwear, apparently), it must have no labels, it must be washed prior to wearing ("new-clothes-smell" is "itchy" apparently), it must have minimum logos and no "fancy bits", and seams need to be ironed flat, socks have to be worn inside out to keep feet away from toe seam and must never be removed unless in bath, top must be tucked into trousers and trousers into socks (thereby minimising body's contact with non-fleece-lined items), if it has a hood - even better! - only the face and hands are not encased in fleece! :unsure:

That's a lot of rules and I'm still learning! I always bulk-buy. During winter I bought 8 fleece-lined cotton track-suits - he wears one until it's worn out, then moves onto the next one. Unfortunately, C's 8 now, and it's very difficult to get matching sets for children his size - I'm starting to think we'll have to make them!

I would ask him some of these questions, it may help you out next time you go shopping - or help you buy something else that he really loves so you can get the t-shirt off him and into the washing machine.

B wears his school trousers, or scout trousers when he's dressed.

He just about copes with PE, wearing silky shorts, he won't wear track suits.

He likes black, blue or kharki/olive green. Everything has to have a soft texture, fleece is great.

No labels, washed in fairy non-bio, everything has to be ironed smooth.

A recent move is that he likes T shirts with reminders of places that he's been, so we have ones from various historical locations that he chose whilst we were there.

Sainsbury's sell black socks with no seams in their women's section. B is size 6, and I take off any female labels to preserve his masculine dignity!

His pj trousers are a nightmare of delicate cobweb weaving, they're worn to a thread and rather immodest.

He never wears the tops, and doesn't sleep in anything but rolls himself up in the duvet.

steve will only wear one pair of certain trousers and im lucky that he will let me wash them overnight,ive spent a fortune on clothes for him in the past which he wont wear,people must think im a rotten mum for making him wear the same clothes all the time :rolleyes: