Tally

Wallpaper

Where can you get wallpaper?

I've tried some DIY stores, but they just have this awful textured stuff you have to paint, and a few 'designer' wallpapers in garish black and white patterns. I just want yellow with maybe a small pattern on. One shop had a yellow one, but it was really grand and old-fashioned. There must be some nice yellow wallpaper somewhere!

Hi Tally,

I'm afraid we always use the DIY shops too for paper, so can't think of anywhere to recommend. Some towns have discount wall paper places....maybe your yellow pages may have some in? In our present house, all the walls have lining paper on, and we've just painted. All pretty neutral colours, pale yellows, creams, terracotta's etc and I'm beginning to find it all abit bland, so I want to put up wallpaper....seen some gorgeous girly ones for youngest dd's room :clap:

Good luck with your search!

Where can you get wallpaper?

I've tried some DIY stores, but they just have this awful textured stuff you have to paint, and a few 'designer' wallpapers in garish black and white patterns. I just want yellow with maybe a small pattern on. One shop had a yellow one, but it was really grand and old-fashioned. There must be some nice yellow wallpaper somewhere!

sister got hers from john lewis [in the trafford centre],they have nice patterns,although she said the rolls were expensive.

she only did one wall in her lounge with it.

My mum suggested some fancy shops and I found websites for them. Only thing is, I don't think she quite gets it cos they start at �65 a roll, and I need 20 rolls :hypno:

John Lewis don't sell wallpaper in all branches, and it's a hell of a way to the nearest one that does.

I didn't have much luck searching on Google, but I didn't think of the low-tech Yellow Pages approach! Got a new one the other day too.

Are you sure you need twenty rolls?? How many rooms are you doing (or are they very short rolls?)

I haven't done any decorating for YEARS ,but the 'sheds' (Industrial estate DIY outlets) used to be the best places... before that there were a couple of high street chains. I've just looked on 'tinternet' and one i remember is still going and has a website with a store finder... I'll PM the details.

Happy hunting, and don't step in your paste bucket :lol:

L&P

BD :D

Yes, I definitely need 20 rolls. 2 different decorators told me 18 rolls. It's a hall, stairs and landing of a Victorian (high ceilings) 3-storey house.

But the good news is, I might have found a nice one! It's not yellow like I wanted, but it's nice. It's pale green with silver plants growing up it.

I've managed to locate some :bounce:

It's arriving on Wednesday before 1pm :bounce:

If the bouncy man would flap his hands and spin while he bounces, that would be more like it!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Just come back from having lunch with old friends.

And they have got new wallpaper in their sitting room...that came with it's own stick-on sparklie gems!!! :wub::wub::wub: How cool is that????

AND, up their stairs they have wallpaper that is brown with large, raised sparklie silvery-cream circles :o:dance:

Ooooohhhhh, I sooooo want some in our new house, but as their house is a fabby Edwardian town house with large rooms and high ceilings, and our's is an 1950s ex-council house I fear the end result would not be the same :crying::crying:

Boho :dance:

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Just come back from having lunch with old friends.

And they have got new wallpaper in their sitting room...that came with it's own stick-on sparklie gems!!! :wub::wub::wub: How cool is that????

AND, up their stairs they have wallpaper that is brown with large, raised sparklie silvery-cream circles :o:dance:

Ooooohhhhh, I sooooo want some in our new house, but as their house is a fabby Edwardian town house with large rooms and high ceilings, and our's is an 1950s ex-council house I fear the end result would not be the same :crying::crying:

Go for it bid. We got home from our holiday cottage, an 18th century dream, & I said, right we are redecorating. My 30s living room will never pass as a Jane Austen interior, but 3 months down the line it has been painted in heritage colours with wooden blinds, & cream curtains with teeny bits of diamante in them, & it looks absolutely beautiful. :wub:

Jester didn't laike it...he says it's 'too busy'!! :crying::crying:

To be fair the wallpaper also had a huge styalised floral design, and I think you probably do need large rooms and high ceilings to carry off this particular look :(

But it was soooo garjus ;)

Edited by bid

Pearl,

your curtains sound gorgeous can you tell me where you got them?

I am looking for cream ones for my living room.

Thanks

Nicola

Pearl,

your curtains sound gorgeous can you tell me where you got them?

I am looking for cream ones for my living room.

Thanks

Nicola

D*n*lm M*ll (hope thats allowed) - from the made to measure section.

It felt like a risky choice, I'd chosen boring ones then spotted these, but they are lovely. I've promised S if she's on a tight budget when she gets married she can make her wedding dress out of them like Scarlett O'Hara did! :lol:

Edited by pearl

they have got new wallpaper in their sitting room...that came with it's own stick-on sparklie gems!!! :wub::wub::wub: How cool is that????

:sick::lol: :lol:

:sick::lol: :lol:

Give me a blue matt finish paint on all the walls throughout the house and I'll be vey very happy :lol: :lol: I can't cope with wallpaper at all - does anyone else find that the patterns 'move'?? :wacko::hypno::lol:

does anyone else find that the patterns 'move'??

Kind of - some patterns make me lose perspective, & that is really disorientating.

We had a stripy carpet that we inherited when we first moved in our house & it had to go - the lines moved all the time & gave me a migraine.

Thank you pearl

I shall have to go and have a look this week, i love soft furnishing so i may be some time in there.

Nicola

Jester didn't laike it...he says it's 'too busy'!! :crying::crying:

Mind you, I have seen some equally sparkletastic wallpaper that probably won't frighten him as much! :devil:

I was going to decorate the new house exactly like our present house, but I may be tempted to do a feature wall in wallpaper in the sitting room...at the moment we have a deep red feature wall, but maybe either some red/gold wallpaper or a sort of teal blue/gold wallpaper!! I am erring on the side of teal blue :wub::clap: And maybe just a few discrete gems... ;)

Oh my god, why is this so ###king complicated :crying:

My delivery of wallpaper arrived today. This (obviously local) bloke with about 2 teeth, and they were dirty, got me to sign for it and I assumed he was going back to his van for the rest of the delivery but he walked off up the road. When I asked if there was any more he said this was the last one, but it's OK because they won't charge me for the missing rolls :wallbash:

I said 1 roll was no good, I really need 19, and asked if he could take it away because I didn't want it. He laughed and waved his paperwork and said, "you've signed for it now," and ran off :o

I rang them up right away. Normally it takes about a week to work up to a phone call, so I must have been pretty fired up. There was some kind of mix up and they have ordered the remaining 18 rolls and they will be delivered NEXT Wednesday (hopefully by a different person).

And then the phone rang and it was someone from the couriers saying the driver had rung to say I had a problem with my order. I said I'd now resolved the problem but I was still very cross about the way the driver had treated me, made me sign the form before telling me my order was not complete and then laughed at me. The courier man was really apologetic and said that laughing at customers is really not acceptable.

If the same man delivers the next batch at least I have two rolls to hit him over the head with :thumbs:

That is disgusting Tally...how dare he!

Hope you have better luck next week, and I think pre arming yourself with wallpaper is a good idea :ninja:

We've just bought our wallpaper for our hall, stairs and landing.....after reading about everyone's sparkly ones, feel abit mundane...cream, with occassional gold and terracotta square, and the odd gold swirl.....

Boring Baggy :ph34r:

Edited by Bagpuss

Yes, I definitely need 20 rolls. 2 different decorators told me 18 rolls.

When I'd finished I said 'I had 8 rolls left over'

They said 'that's funny, so did we'....

sorry , missed the opportunity for that old chesnut first time round ;)

Happy pasting!

L&P

BD :D

Well, it can't be an AS specific problem, because I don't get it either.

So Option 1 Baddad is entering the crumbly, brain-fail stage of his existence.

Option 2 He's had several beers and it made sense in his head.

Option 3 His jokes are too dreadful for the sophisticated and intelligent to understand.

Unless we've had a great deal to drink.

We love you anyway. BD the obscure >:D<<'>

It's just a very poor joke (and really VERY old, so I'm surprised bard's not heard it before ;))

and there isn't really any explanation other than the stupidity of the neigbours (decorators) not telling her 'yes we bought 18 rolls but that was far too much so you will only need ten'...

It's real 'Chuckle Brother's' level of sophistication, so probably bards 'option 3'...

So, upping the ante a bit:

Jung & Freud pass each other on the stairs.

Jung says 'Hello'

and Freud thinks,

'I wonder what he meant by that?'

Sorry, as far as sophistication goes that's the best I can do at 10.30 in the morning... Equally old and stupid (originally from a mad magazine I read as a kid!)... just includes a couple of name drops!

L&P

BD (wibble) :D

It's just a very poor joke (and really VERY old, so I'm surprised bard's not heard it before ;))

and there isn't really any explanation other than the stupidity of the neigbours (decorators) not telling her 'yes we bought 18 rolls but that was far too much so you will only need ten'...

It's real 'Chuckle Brother's' level of sophistication, so probably bards 'option 3'...

I still don't get it :tearful: I've even googled to find an explanation but it must be a really old pre-internet joke cause I couldn't find it anywhere. I can get the idea that if two neighbours are both wallpapering exactly the same room in their identically dimensioned houses and they both somehow miscalculated and bought 18 rolls and actually only needed 10 they would each have 8 left, but it seems very unlikely that they would, if they both miscalculated, buy 18 and so end up with the same. And then Tally's talking about a decorator quoting 18 rolls, not a neighbour wallpapering, so I'm very very confuzzled.

Your Freud & Jung one's a little better, I suppose :rolleyes:

You're right BD, Option 3 it is.

Break out the :wine: Mumble, and poss the choccies as well.

Customer asks Decorator, 'How many rolls of paper do I need for this room?'

Decorator 'Last time we did a room this size, we bought 18'

Customer 'Oh, all right, I'll buy 18 rolls then'

Later

Customer to Decorator, 'I bought 18 rolls, but I only used 10 to paper my room, so I have 8 rolls left'

Decorator 'Oh, yes, so did we.'

Customer 'Why didn't you tell me to buy 10 rolls?'

Decorator 'Because I told you what we did the last time, and we bought 18. You didn't ask me if we had used them all up.'

It is the sort of sketch that would appear in a Chuckle Brothers show, thank God that B seems to have grown out of watching them!

And if you ever get to be as old as I am BD, you will learn the survival skill of deleting the unworthy, annoying and mind-numbingly boring bits out of your life/memory so that it is worth living longer!

It's like de-spamming for computers.

Google didn't help?

I remember the Internet being invented.

I remember PCs being invented.

I'm a really old f*rt.

Edited by Bard