di30

Links for A/S & Autism

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone know of any useful links about A/S & Autism etc so that I can forward to my son's school ?

My son is now in year 8 and the school do not seem to know a lot about this.

They do have several pupils under SEN, but do not think they know much about aspergers.

When Daniel first started in year 7, we had explained about A/S to the 'head of year' and that Daniel was then being assessed for this but waiting for the official dx, the first thing he said is that Daniel does not look as if he is Autistic, we explained it does not have to be a physical thing, and of course Daniel was officially diagnosed this July 07 and all the information and advice were sent to the school, to also confirm the dx with intructions to meet Daniel's needs, as he also suffers with anxiety issues, and some learning difficulties.

I think something to do with classroom structure/stragedies will be of some help.

I also know that there will be more kids in the future attending that school, so the more they know the better.

I am amazed that the school do not know much about this.

Courses for staff would also come in handy but then its all down to funds as we all know this.

We are going to be requesting for an assessment for a statement of needs, even though Daniel is under SEN, and School action plus from the age of 4, constant IEP's nothing seems to go into action and so nothing resolved.

I believe if the school knew more of the difficulties that can come along with A/S there would be more understanding and support given to our children.

I do know and have heard that some teachers from some schools are attending courses for this, which is great.

If anyone knows of any links about the above to forward to SENCO at the school, I will appreciate it very much if you could let me know these, thank you.

Some links in how to deal with A/S etc in the classroom would be really helpful. Thank you so much I am very grateful for this.

I just hope the school will not mind me doing this.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks Di x :thumbs:

Di, interesting thread I too would welcome such information to pass onto school. I have however found the autism outreach people really helpful, they have been into school to talk to the senco and there is plans for her to visit again later this month to do some staff training, might be worth contacting yours, your school should have an allocated outreach worker.

Clare x x x

Hi,

here

try this, you can always say a teacher friend gave it to you to see if it might be useful ( that's how I came across it !)

hope this link works, have forgotten how to do it :oops:

HTH,

w

It works, I'm amazed !

Edited by smallworld

If you click here, then click on 'Asperger's syndrome' on the right hand side, you can print out a 43 page :o pdf file. It gives lots of information about AS/ASDs including suggestions how to help support children in class and at home, useful books, websites.

Annie

xx

One of the problems that you may face with teachers is their reluctance to read a huge amount!

I'm currently wading through a document on dyslexia, in addition to the new Primary Framework for literacy and mathematics, and working out how to implement them in the classroom.

By all means make the documents available to the school, but I'd also go for creating a guide to your child, not more than 2 sides of A4 in bullet points.

Give concrete examples of situations, and then a strategy that works for your child.

Be encouraging and helpful in your approach, so that the school feels you are on their side. Then if you have to fight your corner, the school won't be able to say that they weren't in full possession of all the facts.

You can often use the information that you gave them to explain the causes of particular meltdowns or other incidents.

B's school used the stuff I gave them well, to be proactive about his learning and to develop strategies to help him cope in a mainstream secondary of over 1300 students. Many staff changed how they responded to him, and noticed how much easier it was for everyone when they adapted!

Edited by Bard

No problem Clare lol, its useful to us all. :thumbs:

Thank you all so very much for your replies and links, these are very helpful.

Regarding an outreach worker, not sure if this is the same thing, but last week I had got in touch with the 'Children's disability team' the contact details were given from CAMHS a booklet with different contact details for support groups, and also from a friend.

Anyway regarding the 'disability team' these are classed as Keyworkers arranged by the department of Social services.

After getting in touch with these last week they had come to assess Daniel this week to be referred so that he has a keyworker that help in different ways, but do also know they help a lot with educational side of things, I do also know they do get in touch with the school for further information, so hopefully these do the same as an outreach worker - not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the school have not given any information regarding any outreach workers.

If not should the School SENCO have provided us with an outreach workers details ?

We do have a PP (parent partnership services), but I hate to say it, he does not seem to have a clue and is quite pally with the ED P, and have not really done us any favours really.

Anyway, thank you all again for your very helpful replies, these should be a great help to the school.

Cheers Di x :thumbs:

Di,

Not sure what the difference is, but I did ask the school and they said they'd contact them but apparently contacted the outreach is primary schools and got no response, Con is at secondary. Anyway I contaccted them myself and got the details from the Autism Society, phoned up and they were more than happy to help. Perhaps its difference system in Wales ???

Bard,

Thanks for the advice, good point 40 odd pages is a lot of reading and I guess its general and not specific to my child.

Clare x x x

One of the problems that you may face with teachers is their reluctance to read a huge amount!

I'm currently wading through a document on dyslexia, in addition to the new Primary Framework for literacy and mathematics, and working out how to implement them in the classroom.

By all means make the documents available to the school, but I'd also go for creating a guide to your child, not more than 2 sides of A4 in bullet points.

Give concrete examples of situations, and then a strategy that works for your child.

Be encouraging and helpful in your approach, so that the school feels you are on their side. Then if you have to fight your corner, the school won't be able to say that they weren't in full possession of all the facts.

You can often use the information that you gave them to explain the causes of particular meltdowns or other incidents.

B's school used the stuff I gave them well, to be proactive about his learning and to develop strategies to help him cope in a mainstream secondary of over 1300 students. Many staff changed how they responded to him, and noticed how much easier it was for everyone when they adapted!

Thats what we did when JP started work :thumbs:

Hi Di, and Clare,

Bard is entirely right the link I gave contains advice that is far too long for a teacher to read, I've only passed it on to my son's LSAs in the past.

I think it's more useful as something to nick bits out of when trying to explain your child.

Of course I don't need it any more as my son has now moved up to juniors where they already know everything :whistle::whistle:

Hi di30,

I am LSA to two girls with AS who are in year 9 and my son 18 also has AS. There is a very good book by Matt Winter it is called Asperger's Syndrome What teachers need to know. It was written for cloud 9 childrens foundation. It is a paperback, 7x5 with 96 pages. It is priced at �10.40-�10.95. The contents are very easy to understand. I regularly loan it to members of staff. I have found it to be one of my most useful books.

Staff tend not to get around to reading larger books as they don't have the time to read them. THIS ONE DOES GET READ. :D

Chapter 1 What is Asperger's Syndrome?

Chapter 2 What signs might a child display?

Chapter 3 What are some strategies for the classroom?

Chapter 4 Can I help the child with his or her social skills?

Chapter 5 How can I help the child in the playground?

Chapter 6 What should the Teacher Aide be focusing on?

Chapter 7 Who else in the school needs to know?

Chapter 8 Should I make the child do homework?

Chapter 9 How can the child be assisted with study?

Chapter 10 What should happen before the child changes class or school?

Chapter 11 Am I qualified to teach this child? (This chapter is very positive and encouraging for the teacher)

Chapter 12 I want to know more - where should I start? (This is followed by several pages of resources, websites and further reading available).

The school should be able to order one through their SEN department. ISBN- 1-84310-143-2

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you alll for the brilliant links.

Not too sure if they appreciate me emailing these links into them though, so will print them and send by with letter.

I had sent one or 2 the other day and asked her to confirm receipt of these, anyway I knew she received them as she answered to other emails sent afterwards.

I added some nice words when I sent some links, and thought they would be of some help, unless they think that I think they do not know their job..........if you know what I mean, but its obvious they do not know much about A/S, otherwise they would not have said in the beginning that 'Daniel does not look autisitc' and as you know who says this has to be physical ?

We explained as much as possible...........also in writing in the past but nothing resolved obviously or they would know how to deal with it.

So will do like I said as above, try to print off some information from these links, thank you for these I appreciate it very much.

Di x :thumbs:

DOESN'T LOOK AUTISTIC!!

Missed that the first time round. Neither does B, unless he's in the middle of a full-scale meltdown, with the teacher clueless as to what has suddenly gone badly wrong.

What an ignorant response!

I totally agree with you Bard,

They obviously have not got a clue have they ??

We are just going round in circles.

Daniel has even said, the staff are nice to him in front of us and cannot be really bothered to help him really, its all mouth and no action with them here !!

Just hope the disabilities team that Daniel have been referred to can step in and help........fingers crossed.

Cheers Di x :thumbs: