callum

i'm new

i don't know if this is in the right topic but here i go:

i was diagnosed with aspergers at the beginning of this year, i'm 13, male and from the UK. i used to wonder why the other kids bullied me or didn't like me but now i know, and it's completely unfair that because you might act different you are targeted...

Hello Callum, a big welcome to you.

My lad is Aspergers & is 18 now. If its any help, life for him has got easier as he has got older. High school years can be the most challenging - he certainly found it so.

If you want to pm me I'll ask him if you can have his email addy.

You have found a good place here.

Hello Callum, a big welcome to you.

My lad is Aspergers & is 18 now. If its any help, life for him has got easier as he has got older. High school years can be the most challenging - he certainly found it so.

If you want to pm me I'll ask him if you can have his email addy.

You have found a good place here.

thanks a lot, i hope it gets easier through high school. here's my email addy just in case : lol thanks for tip :P

Edited by callum

Hi Callum :D

I have a 13 yo son who has Aspergers. He says the same as you, how awful and unfair it is that kids at school would want to bully someone just because they are different.

Callum, there is a book which was written by a lad with aspergers when he was 13. It would be a great book for you to read through because it's written for teenagers. You may have already seen it! It's called 'Freaks, geeks and aspergers syndrome'.. by Luke Jackson. My son has read bits of this book and he says some of it was useful but some of it wasn't.

Welcome to the forum

from

Flora :D

Hi Callum :D

I have a 13 yo son who has Aspergers. He says the same as you, how awful and unfair it is that kids at school would want to bully someone just because they are different.

Callum, there is a book which was written by a lad with aspergers when he was 13. It would be a great book for you to read through because it's written for teenagers. You may have already seen it! It's called 'Freaks, geeks and aspergers syndrome'.. by Luke Jackson. My son has read bits of this book and he says some of it was useful but some of it wasn't.

Welcome to the forum

from

Flora :D

hi flora, thanks! i've heard of this book from someone who works up this school for kids with special needs and other problems, but i went up there for a chat about how i'm getting on at my normal school which, in my opinion, is rubbish! they have NO facilites or help for people with aspergers/autism or whatever, because, as teachers now, we are targeted in class, and made to sit alone...

Do you get any 1-1 support in school callum?

not really.. unless you count going into a room with somebody once in 3 years and them asking me to do sums and tell the difference between shapes and stuff..

Now you've got your diagnosis, might be worth talking to school about what would help you. You are entitled to appropriate help. JP had all sorts of stuff in place & would have really struggled without it.

(Sorry if you've already done all this)

There are LOADS of good teachers on here who can give you specific advice - and they are all really nice!

Hi Callum and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year as well. I am twice your age, but I do remember school, and it was pretty horrible. I hadn't even heard of Asperger's then though, and I had no support. Have you talked to your parents about school? They might be able to help get some support for you.

Tally.

Hi Callum and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year as well. I am twice your age, but I do remember school, and it was pretty horrible. I hadn't even heard of Asperger's then though, and I had no support. Have you talked to your parents about school? They might be able to help get some support for you.

Tally.

hi tally, my mum split up with my dad over 9 years ago so she's single mother, and yes, she's been trying hard, she took me out of school, notified the teachers about my condiiotn, taken me to support groups 2 or three times and places.. it will all work out eventually... my dad is an idiot, he doesn't care about my condition, hasn't mentioned it or offered support. he considers me a freak, doesn't like what i listen to, the way i walk, how much i eat etc....

Edited by callum

Callum, I'm sorry your dad is not helpful. Some parents get very upset when they find out their children have something 'wrong' with them. One day you might still be able to have a good relationship with your dad. He is missing out at the moment, but you have your mum on your side, and she sounds great :)

It does take time to get the right support in place. I'm glad your mum is working so hard for you.

Maybe you could tell your mum about this forum and she could speak to other parents about the best way to get the right support in school.

Hi Callum,

Welcome to the forum, I have a son called Connor who will be 13 next March, he was diagnosed with Aspergers in January this year. He hates school (in Yr8) and really struggles with lots of aspect of it. He has what is called School Action Plus and is over seeing by the Special Needs department, he does not really have special needs because he does not have any problems academically, hates PE , group activities coz always gets pick last etc and has anxiety. This is a good place to raise any problems/concerns you may have someone will always come along with a bit of advice and its good to know you are NOT alone. Perhaps you could get your Mum to join the forum too, she might find it really useful to find ways to help and support you.

Take care

Clare :)

Hi Callum.

I'm a teacher :devil:

I've got a son in Y8 who loves history, cats and Kayaking but dislikes computers.

Ask any questions you like here, someone usually knows the answer or can make a good guess!

:thumbs:

>:D<<'> Hi Callum and welcome, my son is 20 and felt like you about his dad - it takes time things will get better if he can be encouraged to speak with the professionals that did the diagnosis. Tell him it is important to you that he go meet them and talk to them.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Frang x

Hi Callum, welcome to the forum. My lad is 13 like you and he has Asperger's. He'll be 14 in November and he wants some fish for his birthday, we've just come back from the garden centre after looking at all the tanks and different fish you can get. He loves it there. What interests do you have?

Sorry to hear about your Dad. It could be that he found the diagnosis a bit of a surprise and it might take him a while to get used to the idea. It's a shame that he's not supporting you at the moment, but in time things might work out better for you both. Have you talked to him about how you feel?

Take care and welcome to the forum.

~ Mel ~ >:D<<'>

hi, thanks everybody.. my dad was like this WAY before he found out.. he's just 'him', always arguing with his current [current for like 8 years] on off girlfriend, alchoholic, spoiling occasions, treating me like ###### basically... so i don't want anything to do with him lol... my interests.. well, my favourite singer is Anastacia, i have a site on her : www.anastaciadreams.com - i like the band 'the fray' akon, pink, rihanna, dj ... ,a few others :D , i like using photoshop (graphics program) and sitting at the pc all day becuase i get bullied if i go out (i have acne) :rolleyes:

nice to meet you all :thumbs:

G'day Callum,

welcome!

I have a son whose 6 with AS.

The only singers I know who you mentioned are Rhianna and Anastacia - I only learnt a few months ago what 'emo' and 'prog rock' was.

Sorry to hear that about your dad but you'll find everyone on this forum very supportive and helpful!

Cheers,

Eva

Welcome to the forum.

At the moment teenagers are few and far between here. Most of us are either parents of kids with AS, or adults with AS like myself. I'm sure you will find this forum an enjoyable place that will add a new dimension to your life. If only it existed when I was 13.

Well I've heard of Rihanna anyways...

You can stand under my umbrella ella ella eh eh eh

And that will be going round my head all night now :lol:

i recommend songs from anastacia:

left outside alone

one day in your life

i'm outta love

OR just go to my site [www.anastaciadreams.com] go to the media and download the limited amount of studio audio (albums are copyright so i can't upload the better songs]

Hi Callum,

I was told that bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson, where there is an orchestra as well as the usual guitars and drums, are prog rock (progressive rock)! I'm not sure if ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) counts though.

Hope you have a good day!

Eva

Guest Lya of the Nox

i really like Anastasia too

my favourite is "sick and tired" and " i belong to you"

must be a bad week, meggzie was unhappy this week, i think it cos everyone is tired and ready for halfterm

take care