Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Social Skills Programme?

Hi, my 8 year old son has a statement for 20hrs p/w. In his statement it specifically says that he is to be supervised at lunchtimes due to his poor grasp of social skills. The school have changed the way they allocate his hours and now is has no support at lunchtime because they say he is ok :blink: but his grasp of social skills hasn't really improved to my knowledge and he is being set up by the other kids to get into trouble. They feel that the hours are better spent academically! He is very academic but does need the support to keep him on track but he needs to know how to cope in the "real" world too and he's not getting any support here. The school have not changed the Statement document, just decided themselves, can they do this?

I guess what I am trying to ask is does anyone know of any programmes for social skills, maybe a professional that goes into school or is it arranged by the SENCO? I saw a programme once about autism with that Luke Jackson boy (not the one about his family but another BBC short film) and instead of going to play at lunch he went for special tution on how to read facial expressions and how to cope with certain circumstances and things like that - a social programme designed specifically for him.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!! They can,t do that!My son is also statemented.I,d get your copy of your son,s statement out.It should outline exactly how the hours are spent.Take it up with the senco asap.If it says in his statement he is to have help at dinner this is what he should have.The lea would not be happy to hear of this I,m sure as they pay the hours.

Is that right? Well interestingly it was the SENCO who decided to change it :wacko: She is one of those people who gets you to agree to things about 5 questions before she asked you, Very clever! When I spoke with Parent Partnership they thought they could do this :o We are due an annual review with the SENCO this month sometime, we are quite new to the statement process and think we were taken advantage of last year as the SENCO didn't give us any notice of the meeting, she rang me up one morning and said that I was suppose to be there for the review 10 minutes ago :angry: So I went totally unprepared as my husband had gone to work and I had a screaming 1 year old and ended up just signing the review and agreeing. It was since this meeting the arrangement has been changed, she rang me one day and said she wanted to try no support at lunchtime and it's remained that way.

I am not a strong person like her and she always seems to know whats right, even though I come away wondering if it is :unsure: She is also the deputy head!

No they shouldn't do that. Check the statement and speak to the head as soon as possible. Also put it in writing with copies to head and senco and state what youn want and when you would like a reply by. Schools will try to do this, you may also find that a 1:1 lsa will be deployed to group work in class time too.

Hope it goes well for you, Kat

If the school need to use these hours somewhere else then it must mean he needs more hours. They can't take away his lunchtime supervision. The LEA are the only ones who can change a statement.

You should discuss this at the annual review, you may be able to get them to increase the hours. Ask Parent Partnership if they will attend the review with you.

Nellie xx

Whatever is outlined in your son's Statement, that is what he is suppose to receive. School must not attempt to interpret documented information as it sees fit.

I guess what I am trying to ask is does anyone know of any programmes for social skills, maybe a professional that goes into school or is it arranged by the SENCO?

A SALT, Senco, SEN support teacher, NNEB and an LSA could implement a social skills programme. If the specific requirement of a socail skills programme isn't written into your son's Statement, then you may have difficulty in obtaining such support.

If there isn't any mention of a s.s. programme in your son's Statement, approach the Senco to find out if it's possible for your son to have this provision. No harm in asking...

Edited by Helen

Sorry we must have crossed posts. If the meeting you atended was a review you should have had notification of it You should also have been provided in writing of any changes to be made. The statement hours may be fixed by the lea but they can be manouevered about within the school depending on the changing needs of child. It sounds as though the senco took advantage of a weak moment. If you are due to attend a meeting soon I would suggest putting all your concerns in writing so you can refer to it there and if possible take someone who knows you and your child and situation well and can be supportive emotionally and verbally.

As for her being strong and not like you - what tosh!!! Who does all the work, worrying, caring, shouting (and it's 24/7 for you not school day) - it's not her is it? -it's you!!! Go in there girl and look 'em straight in the eye, then shoot from the hip!! Kat

Wow, thanks for all your kind words back >:D<<'> Interestingly one of the points the school did advised LEA in his last statement review was that there was the possibility of him needing more hours but it wasn't asked to be considered at that time.

I have already had to move our son once from a "bad" head making an example out of him I don't want to tick this school off but I equally don't want to be taken advantage of. I will make a list, although it could be tough because they don't tell me how he does at school, I only have the experiences he tells me about to go on. Things like he feels confused when one of his TA's (also a lunchtime assistant!) clicks her fingers in his ears to make him eat his lunch :angry: As if that's going to help an AS kid :shame:

I don't have his statement to hand but I'm sure it does say something about social intergration and lunchtime, I will check, I'm sure that was his Ed Phyc's recommendation. I will also enquire about reallocating/increasing his hours to include some form of social skills training.

Thanks everyone, didn't know you could specify what the hours were used for.

One other thing... when a statement specifies number of hours, does that specifically mean a 1-2-1 or can it be classed as a group?

My son had a social use of language programme set up for him by the Ed Psych when he was in Year 5.

It was organised by a Speech and Language Therapist and actually facilitated by one of the Ed Psych Assistants and teacher at his school.

Prior to this, in Year 3, he had a Circle of Friends organised by a psychology student.

They would involve a small group of other children - it always made me laugh as my son would say "They try to pretend it's for everyone but I know that really they're only doing it for me"

I'd speak to you Ed Psych and ask them to organise one.

Barefoot

One other thing... when a statement specifies number of hours, does that specifically mean a 1-2-1 or can it be classed as a group?

Hello 10,

The LEA has allocated those hours for your son - the support should mean 1-2-1.

>>>One other thing... when a statement specifies number of hours, does that specifically mean a 1-2-1 or can it be classed as a group?

Ideally it should be specified as 20 hours of 1:1 in the statement - I think they can use it in groups but then the hours must be split between the children (eg: in a group of 4 for an hour = 15mins).

Apparently you can ask the school for a breakdown of how the hours are used.

Karen