the teacher explained it to me

there are 5 bowls

1.lemon juice

2.salt

3.honey

4.golden syrup

5.chocolate

they get to taste each in turn

when she showed it to me i instantly said he will go for the salt every time as when at home he cannot leave the pot of salt on the table alone

he licks his fingers and gets the salt off the top and eats it

lo and behold he did go for the salt

has anyone had a similar experience or is it just that he genuinely likes salt?????

Oh my God, my DS won't leave the salt alone and as for gravy granules would eat it by the spoon full if I let him !!!!! :sick:

Clare x x x

yeah mine love salt as well. I dont let them have it added to food but my youngest will lick the salt pot if its about. I have to say Im a salt junkie :unsure:

Yip - C is a salt junky too. He can eat salt by itself if he's not supervised... and he craves things like gravy (about the only "wet" thing he will consume), crisps, salted nuts, bacon.

I've always put it down to being another one of his sensory issues... he craves spicey food too.

Both of mine are salt mad - I have to remember to hide the salt cellar and the oxo cubes!

We only use salt for chips but they'd have it on everything if they could.

Edited by jlp

I always thought it was just my off the wall child who did this!

He loves to eat salt, pepper, oxo cubes, flour and anything else that you really wouldn't expect anyone to eat on it's own!

He pours things on the worktop and licks them off!

Maybe he's not so odd after all...... :rolleyes:

I wonder if this craving for salt is a sodium deficiecy, Ihad a hair mineral test several years ago to test for heavy metals and it came back severely deficient dangerous in fact in sodium. Ihad never eaten salt believing it to be unhealthy. I started eating a bit of good quality sea salt not table salt which is not natural salt. But I only got real results when I started using a lot of it, improvement in health and slight improvement in cognition. I had other deficiencies however such as magnesium and sulfur.

Some people on the autistic spectrum are sometimes found to be deficient and also sensitive to certain food stuffs, also malabsorbtion probs too which I also have, which is why I need a lot to correct the deficiency. I don't think it is completely corrected yet though

Edited by florrie

i think that cravings for salty, citrus and spicy things are probably explained as a sensory thing. if taste is under sensitive then the salt will give taste buds a huge hit or stimulation because i think i read that the tongue is divided into regions.. one area being mainly receptive to salt another more receptive to sweet tastes and another area for sour and acidic tastes. when a taste is somewhere in the middle of these i think the all the taste buds are working together.

sorry about the explanation.. im rubbish at explaining things...

My daughter loves salty things and i never use salt but i have to now for her food her fav crisps are the salt and shake

:wacko: oh yes totally relate to this one..........we have a salt thang goin on...............also VINEGAR........on everything............and tomato ketchup too..........................BLEURGH!! :sick:

Ha ha my daughter eats so much tommy sauce that it nearly is a food category on its own.

Nicola

i think that cravings for salty, citrus and spicy things are probably explained as a sensory thing. if taste is under sensitive then the salt will give taste buds a huge hit or stimulation because i think i read that the tongue is divided into regions.. one area being mainly receptive to salt another more receptive to sweet tastes and another area for sour and acidic tastes. when a taste is somewhere in the middle of these i think the all the taste buds are working together.

sorry about the explanation.. im rubbish at explaining things...

I think Paula is right here, we often spend time explaining to shocked and horrored mums and wives why it's not a slight when their AS families cover their sunday roast with spicy sauce. I'ts not that their foods not good, well not in most cases anyway, it's a need for the spices that trigger their taste senses. I'm convinced too, that as with hyper and hypo sensitivity this works both ways and accounts for those young people that stick to bland foods like mashed potatoes etc

Edited by Minxygal