Sign in to follow this  
Caroline-

Advice please on claiming DLA..

Hi peeps,

My son has recently been awarded DLA, & this afternoon my CPN brought round the DLA adult form for me & we filled it in together. What i want to know is if it's ok for my son and i to both be in receipt of it considering we are both from the same household. Just wondering what the DLA would be thinking, as i'd hate to jepodise my son's award because of my new claim for myself.

Caroline >:D<<'>

I don'tthink there would be a problem after all there can be more than 1 person in a family that's disabled.

I applied for DLA for myself - didn't get it though as I was caring for 5 children and could cope ok according to the guy who came out to assess me.

It's a different claim, shouldn't affect your son's,mine didn't.

Hi Daisy, thanks for the reply :)

Sorry to hear you didn't get it, i probably won't get mine either but my CPN thinks that it's worth a try at least. I just didn't want the people at DLA to look at my claim then look back at my son's & think 'how on earth can this woman cope with her son's problems as well as her own' sort of thing.

We get 2 DLA's in this household. 1 for ds (communication disorder autistic traits) and one for dh (rheumatic arthritis - physically disable). DS came first and DH much later. I was then advised to apply for 2 lots of carers allowance. This was done so that dh gets it for ds and I get it for DH. I was worried they wouldn't accept it but they did.

Hi Caroline. :thumbs:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you hun.........lots on and feeling a bit run down, but getting there now. :thumbs:

I don't think I did receive your PM but will double check okay, the chances are my son Daniel had a sneaky turn on here whilst turning my back for a few minutes lol :lol: .

Can't see this being a problem, I do know of others who are having DLA for themselves and their children.

Go for it..........if you don't try you will never know. :D .

Good luck hun and let me know how you get on.........cheers.

Luv Di xxx :thumbs:

Hi Caroline. :thumbs:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you hun.........lots on and feeling a bit run down, but getting there now. :thumbs:

I don't think I did receive your PM but will double check okay, the chances are my son Daniel had a sneaky turn on here whilst turning my back for a few minutes lol :lol: .

Can't see this being a problem, I do know of others who are having DLA for themselves and their children.

Go for it..........if you don't try you will never know. :D .

Good luck hun and let me know how you get on.........cheers.

Luv Di xxx :thumbs:

Hiya Di, thats ok, no probs. :) Hope you are feeling better soon >:D<<'> >:D<<'> i often gets days myself when i feel very run down & just don't want to face the world but have to push myself for Hayden's sake, so i can understand how you feel >:D<<'>

Ah bless Daniel eh ;) could of been me though, perhaps i didn't send it properly :wallbash: didn't want you to think that i just dismissed your lovely PM :)

I can but try eh, if they turn me down then so be it. As long as Hayden gets it thats my main concern. Only took them 5 weeks to deal with Hayden's claim - was expecting much longer so was pleasently surprised :D

Caroline xx

my sister gets 2 lots of dla in her household.. for her dd and herself..

i have recently put in for dla for my ds after his dx and i am considering it for myself in the future as i am currently off work sick and awaiting community psych nurse coming out to assess me for further referral.

in my case i have severe anxiety.. have had since age 18/19..have struggled thorugh life with it and now ive decided to get some real help..the stress of work makes me worse so i dont know when to put in for dla..

Hi Paula, Thanks for your reply :)

I also suffer from extreme anxiety, have done ever since i can remember. Good to know that other people in one family also can get it for themselves & their child