Mumble

Hostages and Wonky-Winged Planes

Never, your opinions and tastes are far too similar to mine in many respects.

We appreciate alcohol, and Shakespeare!

I was thinking more of the sort of bigoted and inflexible type of individual who can't even think beyond their own limited experiences, and therefore can't appreciate or value a different perspective.

Mumble's 'support' at Uni from the two people who are supposed to be helping her has been blinkered and arrogant on many occasions. So ' Stuff them' is an appropriate response to all who respond to her glasses in a negative or ignorant manner. And just like it's hard to reason with a drunk, it's hard to have a sensible discussion with a narrow-minded person who isn't willing to listen to someone else's experience and think about it.

Mumble!! I love the response and it is one I feel I should take on to alot of things! And after a huge embrassment of depth and spacial awareness at rememberence parade I will be rembered more then the people that died! OPPS some idiot fell back wards on the blowing of the Last Post as well as when marching not realising how near the person in front was and smacking my self onto the floor straight in from of our commisioner and he was like are you okay after you fainted! OPPS!

Mumble!! I love the response and it is one I feel I should take on to alot of things! And after a huge embrassment of depth and spacial awareness at rememberence parade I will be rembered more then the people that died! OPPS some idiot fell back wards on the blowing of the Last Post as well as when marching not realising how near the person in front was and smacking my self onto the floor straight in from of our commisioner and he was like are you okay after you fainted! OPPS!

:oops: I was thinking actually about you when you said you were on parade today. I was in the air cadets for a while (well we all make mistakes :rolleyes:) and was very obvious as the one marching out of sych at drill. Coping with doing that and crowds - well done you :thumbs:

Depth perception is one of the most amazing differences that these glasses have made - my world is now a constant 3D movie - things are amazing to look at (though I must remember to check there's no one behind me - particularly joggers - before I stop to look at the latest new interesting thing I've seen) and I can tell easily how much space I have to move around people and objects, even those peskie suitcases that jump out in front of me willing me to trip over them. :rolleyes: Given that you find the lenses useful for reading it would probably be worth you finding out about using them more generally. :)

Thanks Mumble! I know that when I wear them in class I can see people better and I also notice their all look different not just having a green tince to them! I only wear them while on computer and reading/writing. So only when sitting down!

I get my new pair tomoz after waiting for 13weaks LONG STORY!

Due to this I have fallen out with the optition so he is proberly not the best person to ask about this, has anyone got any ideas on whom to ask?

We know of over 130 effects of visual stimulus modification - these are often the worst symptoms experienced by those on the spectrum AND THEY CAN BE ADDRESSED (I am sure that there are hundreds more that we don't know about yet).

There are some difficulties though, research is limited on the effects of visual stimulus, and in ASD virtually non existent. I have suggested that independent research takes place - but no one wishes to fund - yet methods we have developed can be the biggest improvement in life quality for those on the spectrum.

The techniques we are pioneering constitute a paradigm shift, and that puts everybody outside their "comfort zone". There is tremendous opposition from academics and professionals - I have even been accused of fraud by an optical professional after a demonstration of gait modification at a conference - he said what I did could not be possible - therefore I must have "planted a stooge" for demonstration in the audience. I have been investigated twice - yes we do supply a much higher number of tinted lenses through the NHS - but it is not us that prescribe too many..... A psychologist in a local LEA is now threatening to report me to my professional body as I have had the temerity to criticise the LEA and its teacher training. However, I am not concerned - the best defence is that the comments were the truth!

What is needed is political or media help - professionals have to change and they will resist.

Research is essential - but there is a desperate need for quick intervention and it CANNOT wait until absolute proof of all effects is in place. This will take 20 years and will doom a whole generation to misery.

But I can only do so much - please - if you know of any researchers, funders, publicists, national politicians - anyone that can help - please approach them as ask them for assistance - I will be happy to liaise.

Things have to change - and I am very impatient, it has been far too long

Hi Ian, this is just a thought re the research problem - some of what you do is investigated in psychology in most general MA or BSc courses, and probably in more detail in the Honours courses, coming under a general heading of "Perception". When I entered my senior honours year I was permitted to choose my area of research. It may be worth your while contacting the psych depts of some of the bigger universities and offering some of your work/ideas up for research. The universities fund the research on behalf of the senior honours students, in return for them signing over the findings to the unversity. Any findings would therefore be independent and would help add weight to your case.

Students are encouraged to go into great detail with their research and investigation - it is real research and can be quite ground-breaking depending on the research topic. My thesis was "laterality of kicking in experienced football players" - it made the news and has the SFA and FIFA sniffing about for more info.... what I'm saying is, although the research is conducted by undergraduates it does carry credability.

It's just a thought, maybe worth a try if you haven't already gone down that route....

Guest Lya of the Nox

well we did not have problems with wonky wings, ( but the 100 mile/hour wind was a bit!) cos she loves flying :)

customs was very stressful, and stressful and stressful lol

i tried a bit of coloured lenses, i can see in 3d too with help,

all very interesting, strange

but my little un was obviously struggling

and opefully wont be soon, if i can get her to go to bliddy school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you Ian :first:

We had more than a few :wine: ( not meggzie tho lol)

while my mate was still trying to make sense of it all :)

x

Glad it was good for Meggzie :thumbs:

customs was very stressful, and stressful and stressful lol

Well thankfully it was llisa who set off the alarms rather than me - gawd help any of those customs people if they'd tried to pat me down to find my hidden choccy stash :fight::rolleyes:

And I was very pleased it was me that got the 'pat down' too! :)...

Mumble had told me in no uncertain terms what she was gonna do to the pesky customs peeps if they tried to check for

her choccy stash!! :fight:

Phew! :P

Guest Lya of the Nox

well we went through the customs clutching each other!!!!

and bought our choccy on other side lol

xxx

Well, so long as the customs guy is handsome he can pat me down whenever he likes. At my age, I take my pleasures where I can. ;)

Sorry to lower the tone

*legs it to the loincloth thread*

Guest Lya of the Nox
Well, so long as the customs guy is handsome he can pat me down whenever he likes. At my age, I take my pleasures where I can. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

have to say couldnt bliddy see if they were worth allowing a pat down, and anyhow they dont look at lil ol me, and would wave me past to avoid the patting of me. the world is too busy lookings at meggzie

:rolleyes:

x

Sorry to lower the tone

Typical - I wouldn't expect anything else of you Pearl - and there was me thinking you were a mature individual - I guess there are different definitions of mature... :whistle:

A warning to all other coloured lense wearers - they make you easily identifyable!!! :lol: I think I'm going to have to give up my life of crime :whistle: (Actually in this instance it was beneficial - another student put in a complaint about the way the "quiet girl with the blue glasses" was treated by someone else, and because they could identify me, it was followed up and all is good(ish) in Mumble-land :bounce: :bounce:)

Guest Lya of the Nox
A warning to all other coloured lense wearers - they make you easily identifyable!!! :lol: I think I'm going to have to give up my life of crime :whistle: (Actually in this instance it was beneficial - another student put in a complaint about the way the "quiet girl with the blue glasses" was treated by someone else, and because they could identify me, it was followed up and all is good(ish) in Mumble-land :bounce: :bounce:)

ah so are they gonna make meggzie life easier or harder then, for the identifying bits, but have to say not sure it could get any harder :(??

i like blue too

meggzie is red

>:D<<'>

Typical - I wouldn't expect anything else of you Pearl - and there was me thinking you were a mature individual - I guess there are different definitions of mature... :whistle:

Hmm, mature.... :P:lol::rolleyes::wacko::dance::hypno::bounce:

Whatever gave you that idea?

Yup, best get used to it .... you are "the girl in the blue specs" from now on. Could be worse :lol:B)

Mumble,

sorry for being off topic,but have been wondering this for a long time.

what was it like being near the plane/getting on the plane/being on the plane/getting off the plane etc in terms of noise?

have never been on or near a plane before and it is dream to go to Canada [anywhere there is a lot of snow] have got so many different ideas of what it's like off people who do not have sensory problems it's confusing.

an NT [staff] said it's extremely loud on take off and landing and am would probably need sedation.

how bad is it?

Edited by TuX

what was it like being near the plane/getting on the plane/being on the plane/getting off the plane etc in terms of noise?

Well I think llisa would have been glad if I was sedated.

Actually, I didn't find the plane noise too much of an issue - even though on the way out I was sitting over the wing (I needed to check it didn't fall off) where the engine is. Some parts of the plane are quieter - I think if you go on bigger planes like the ones that go to Canada, the more expensive seats are in quieter areas - it might be worth finding out about these.

The noise was just like a noise you hear of planes going over, but closer. I think I was ok because I once had a thing about planes so learnt all about their engines and how they fly so knew what the noises were. The noise was loud, but not unexcepted, high-pitched or discontinuous (which are the noises I find harder). I did use my headphones on the wy back whch helped and actually the noise of the plane was the least of my prolems.

The noise and busyness of the airport however wa very very difficult, as was customs. I would hope that bigger airlines (we went with one of the little ones) have some training in ASDs and wouldn't try to pat you down - I was terrified they would do this to me.

I hope you get to canada - I would love to go there - I really really like the snow too - I've often thought I must be one of the few people who would turn down a free beach holiday!!

Guest Lya of the Nox

Well I think llisa would have been glad if I was sedated.

i can see that one too lol, but not sure if it would be her or me

meggzie loves the noise of the engine changes, but her biggest difficulty was getting through customs, cos there was lots of beeping and big queues, but when i did say she was asd they waved us through crowds and allowed her to come through the scanners clutching me

i am not sure i could get her on a plane for any longer than glasgow

you wouldnt get me on a plane for that long either, cos i cant sit still for a hour never mind longer!!!!! :whistle:

I went on a 10-hour flight in the summer. It was hell. No one warned me about the 4 internal flights when we got there until after I agreed to go either. I was terrified of losing my baggage. They called my brother away as we went through security at Heathrow and X-rayed him. I was really scared of the same thing happening to me on the way home so I had my Autism Alert card ready to thrust in their faces if they called me away and my parents made sure I was inbetween them so they would at least notice - because my brother was behind us they didn't notice he was missing until we got to the other side and they were wondering where he was! But I asked him all about what happened and he just had to pose in 3 positions while they took X-rays. (I think they are starting to realise how hard I find some things now.)

Possibly travelling with an Autism Alert card on a string around your neck - so visible to everyone - might help to make people aware before they even approach you.

The security on the internal flights in Tanzania was . . . interesting. I walked through the metal detector and it went off. I remembered I was wearing a belt with a metal buckle and went to take it off and go through again, and they just waved me on. Someone went to pat my dad down at the international airport on the way out of Tanzania. My dad just said, "no thank you," and walked on by. I don't think he realised what they meant to do, and I don't think that technique would work in the UK either.

The planes have to be so well insulated (especially the kid you'd travel long-distance on) that the worst of the engine noise is prevented. It is still quite loud though, and you find yourself having to raise your voice to be heard. It is constant though, throughout the whole flight. I didn't find it distressing because I got used to it after a while. The take off is loud though, as the engines have to accelerate extremely hard. The physical sensation of take off is really weird as well. Landing can be bumpy, and as soon as you hit the ground, the engines get very loud as they power them in reverse to act as brakes. If you know what's going on, it's not scary.

Have you tried visiting an airport and watching the planes take off. Most airports have somewhere you can watch the planes, but you might get an idea of the sounds you would hear if there is somewhere you can watch from outside, even though you would not be allowed to get very close.