Mumble

Hostages and Wonky-Winged Planes

I thought I ought to explain some of the slightly bizarre references that have appeared in some of my posts this past week :unsure::lol:

llisa took me hostage, totally against my will (OK, I did have a part to play in it - the choosing the choccy part :eat:), forced me onto a plane with wonky wings and worn brake pads (I still maintain that my freaking out was totally and utterly justified in this situation :rolleyes:), held my captive in a country where it was so cold it was sleeting (I was half expecting to see Mr Tumnus under a lamp-post) and forced me to see (and I actually did see for the first time ever :thumbs:) her co-hostage taking conspiritoriserer. Which is where the interesting (and less fictional) part of the story comes in . . .

It appears that seeing the Northern Lights without travelling to the Arctic Circle is not one of those everyday occurance type thingys for many of you . . .

It also appears that the stair edges don't actually move :wacko:

And I have a face - I've never seen my face in all 28 years of my life - I've never known what I looked like before or been able to recognise myself in group photos :tearful: - now I will be able to

Plus, and I think most importantly, with the right specs, I'll be a sumo wrestler before the year's out . . .

If you're still totally confused, an explnation in plain English. I went, with llisa, to see Ian Jordan on Monday. I have to admit I was very sceptical before I went - I'd spent hours reading all the research I could find, quizzing people who might know something and trying to decide whether to go or not. I am so glad I did go. Now I'm hoping Ian will come along and explain the things he did and the effects because I'll be totally hopeless - there was so much and some of the effects were so extreme that I think I spend most of the time there in total shock. The main things though were that under a blue light or with blue lenses I could:

• see text clearly
  • write more neatly
  • see faces (for the first time ever) - wrinkles included
  • remove headaches
  • walk up and down stairs without holding on
  • go through a door frame rather than bump into it
  • see the people in the street and negotiate a path round them
  • see the ugly (and less ugly :wub:) men in the street and hence make more acurate assessments in my bloke-spotting quest
  • speak more clearly
  • balance easily on one leg
  • ballet dance!!!!
  • stand still (no wobbling)
  • tolerate flourescent lighting
  • tolerate clapping
  • tolerate touch (though I'm sorry Ian there is no way you had your hand on my neck, because you'd have two black eyes by now if you really did that :fight:)
  • be hugged - this was a real biggy - I've pulled away from people and never had a hug in 28 years, even from my sister - if I hadn't have actually been there I wouldn't have believed it
I've probably missed lots off this list - hopefully llisa and Ian can add to it from their perspectives. I am so hopeful now that with the blue lenses, certain aspects of my life are going to be so much easier - which will then allow me to focus support specifically on other areas. I am not surprised Ian is on the NAS website as a 'hero' - he thouroughly deserves to be there :)

Mumble :thumbs: Ian is a star isn't he? :clap: I look forward to our trips to Ian in the same way others might to a trip to see a show or to the theatre. It's well worth the effort isn't it of flying up to the northern regions.

I've got green glasses and I lurrrrve them, they not only look cool B) but the world is far less confusing when I'm wearing them.

Glad he could help you mumble.

flora

Guest Lya of the Nox

that is great >:D<<'> >:D<

i am glad someone has helped you on a good path

i do hope the plane we are on on friday is not the same on you and llisa were on

cos never mind megz stress levels mine will not cope :wallbash:

not sure what we expect from it all tho, cos we are still very confused me thinks

x

Wow. That is absolutely fantastic Mumble >:D<<'> Does this mean I can give you a REAL hug when we finally meet?

I had no idea coloured lenses could make such a huge difference. I can't imagine how much this is going to change your life.

The only downside is, I was planning on convincing you that I actually look 25, not 51! You'd NEVER believe me now! :lol:

i find myself wanting to say something... now that i understand all this ian jordan stuff...next problem.. knowing what to say...im hopeless so i will just say well done and im glad that the new glasses will improve your life.

Mumble :thumbs: Ian is a star isn't he? :clap:

Absolutley :clap: :clap: He's on my OGB list :lol:

I'm just glad he didn't say I needed orange specs - I HATE orange!!!!! :lol:

Wow. That is absolutely fantastic Mumble >:D<<'> Does this mean I can give you a REAL hug when we finally meet?

Possibly - you'll have to ask llisa about that one - I'm not sure I know what a real hug is :unsure:

The only downside is, I was planning on convincing you that I actually look 25, not 51! You'd NEVER believe me now! :lol:

Heehee - nope no chance now of loosing your old cronie witch status - I am definately the young witch. It does mean I can be more subjective in my bloke spotting :wub: :wub: Now where's Lee when you need him (for checking purposes only of course!!! :whistle::devil:)

Now I should warn everyone - if there's a postal strike in the next few days and I don't get my glasses I shall be very, very grumpy indeed :rolleyes:

Now for my 'perspective'.....:):thumbs:

The plane did not have 'wonky' wings or 'broken brakes' !! And despite Mumble disliking crowds/airports and some bits of 'getting on a plane' she did it!! :notworthy:

I think she quite liked being taken hostage actually...it involved a nice hotel with a big swimming pool - which was actually warm!, and she made me look like a lazy so an so by promptly swimming lengths of the pool like an olympic swimmer!

And not to mention wine.... :drunk: food...loads of it!.. :eat: ....now for the details of visit... :rolleyes:

We'd both discussed that we didn't really know what to expect, but agreed that any help would be good and it was definately worth a visit and finding out some more. Ian was really good at putting Mumble at ease...we even got to eat some choccy half way thru the visit!! :thumbs:

I came back on Monday night pretty much as 'stunned' as Mumble....if I hadn't been there with her and seen her reactions etc I wouldn't have thought it was possible that coloured lenses would make such a difference.

Now Mumble will dispute this...and I've noticed she still is :whistle: but....Ian most definately did have his hand on her neck whilst he was talking to her and she had the blue lenses on...that was a 'biggie' moment.

Mumble being able to 'see' faces was a HUGE moment...without the lenses faces are like blurry potatoe heads (or perhaps thats just her pet phrase for me! :)...but..with the lenses on she could make out features and really 'see' peoples faces and took huge delight..(too huge for my liking actually :shame: in telling me she could see my wrinkles!!

Ian....obviously just to check how detailed Mumble was seeing faces...and I'm assuming not just cos I have a largish nose :):whistle: ...asked Mumble if she could see that feature which of course she did...so I now have a large nose and wrinkles!

Mumble then got to 'see' her own face in the mirror and I found that really humbling to be honest....it's something I take so much for granted...to know what I look like, and what others look like..

We did then pop out onto the high street for a quick spot of 'bloke watch' just to double check that the lenses were working adequately :whistle:

One of the other things I found really amazing was the difference in Mumbles posture and speaking tone...with the lenses on her voice was clearer and stronger - altogether more confident. She also stood a lot taller and was not the slightest bit unsteady on her 2 feet...yet standing without lenses on her 2 feet for any length of time means she wobbles and we have to be ready to catch!

Writing was another 'revelation' moment...without the lenses it was uneven and you could see it was very uncomfortable for Mumble to write..but with the lenses on and writing the same thing the difference was amazing!....it felt easier for her to write and all the letters were the same height and spacing - that particular moment I have filed for future ref re my kiddie!

Now Pearl...about that 'hug'...THAT was amazing! :thumbs: it was such a huge huge moment for Mumble and I was absolutely honoured to have been there and shared it! - I am hoping that once she's started she won't stop!! - but again.... so profoundly amazed that coloured lenses can make such a huge difference to someones life.

If I hadn't seen it all myself I would have doubted it was possible..

So a massive well done for Mumble for 'taking a chance' and visiting Ian >:D<<'> , and a huge thumbs up to Ian for the work he's doing! :thumbs:

It's just amazing what those lights can do. I remember the first time I took Bill to be assessed by Ian, and Ian shone the red light on my face and Bill's reaction was just magic.... on the way home in the car he couldn't stop talking about it and he said 'mum, I never realised you are so pretty' :tearful: Bill has red lenses now and they do help though he does get irritated by the filter some times.

Mumble.. hope this can be a turning point for you when you get your specs.

flozza

Hi Flora..It's great that you and your son have found such great positives with the lenses >:D<<'> - did either of you find it a big adjustment when you started wearing them?

Do you wear your's all the time now?

We know of over 130 effects of visual stimulus modification - these are often the worst symptoms experienced by those on the spectrum AND THEY CAN BE ADDRESSED (I am sure that there are hundreds more that we don't know about yet).

There are some difficulties though, research is limited on the effects of visual stimulus, and in ASD virtually non existent. I have suggested that independent research takes place - but no one wishes to fund - yet methods we have developed can be the biggest improvement in life quality for those on the spectrum.

The techniques we are pioneering constitute a paradigm shift, and that puts everybody outside their "comfort zone". There is tremendous opposition from academics and professionals - I have even been accused of fraud by an optical professional after a demonstration of gait modification at a conference - he said what I did could not be possible - therefore I must have "planted a stooge" for demonstration in the audience. I have been investigated twice - yes we do supply a much higher number of tinted lenses through the NHS - but it is not us that prescribe too many..... A psychologist in a local LEA is now threatening to report me to my professional body as I have had the temerity to criticise the LEA and its teacher training. However, I am not concerned - the best defence is that the comments were the truth!

What is needed is political or media help - professionals have to change and they will resist.

Research is essential - but there is a desperate need for quick intervention and it CANNOT wait until absolute proof of all effects is in place. This will take 20 years and will doom a whole generation to misery.

But I can only do so much - please - if you know of any researchers, funders, publicists, national politicians - anyone that can help - please approach them as ask them for assistance - I will be happy to liaise.

Things have to change - and I am very impatient, it has been far too long

Hi Ian,

It some ways I can understand why all of these different bodies may 'question' the work you do - but that most definately does not make them 'right' and you 'wrong'. The comment in your post just now about reducing someones 'gait'...after seeing the difference in Mumbles posture last Monday I can well believe that it's possible, and like you say, the difference that these lenses can and do make to someone's life is amazing....it's about 'quality' of life for everyone...

The people that question you do so because of ignorance I'm sure...but unless you get funding for further research etc I guess it all goes round in endless circles.

Are you able to explain in your terms the difficulties that Mumble has without the lenses on so that people on here who don't know so much about your work will have a better understanding of the difference the lenses can make? - I know that Mumble has already provided her permission for you to do this if you are able.

Guest Lya of the Nox

A psychologist in a local LEA is now threatening to report me to my professional body as I have had the temerity to criticise the LEA and its teacher training. However, I am not concerned - the best defence is that the comments were the truth!

but we do that every day as parents

i am kinda on the "if it makes life better" then we must do it

cos i cannot imagine how hard it is to go through a day as mumble or megz with all the noise ect and touch stuf going on taht causes them soo much pain,

x

Hi Flora..It's great that you and your son have found such great positives with the lenses >:D<<'> - did either of you find it a big adjustment when you started wearing them?

Do you wear your's all the time now?

lisa, it took me ages to adjust, and in some ways I'm still adjusting as the level of filter in my lenses changes the colour of everything I see; all the red is filtered out so some things lose their colour entirely. I find it frustrating that I can't wear mine for long in doors because they are so dark they are almost like sun glasses. When I go back I'll check to see if I can get a paler lens in the same colour.

When bill was at school he wore them all the time, but he doesn't wear them all the time at home. If he goes anywhere busy, for instance when we went to lego land, he wore them all the time.

flora

lisa, it took me ages to adjust, and in some ways I'm still adjusting as the level of filter in my lenses changes the colour of everything I see; all the red is filtered out so some things lose their colour entirely. I find it frustrating that I can't wear mine for long in doors because they are so dark they are almost like sun glasses. When I go back I'll check to see if I can get a paler lens in the same colour.

This is what is worrying me just a little - I guess I'll have to see what it is like with the lenses. Mine will be very dark blue so I'm wondering how different everyday things will be. Would you say though that the benefits outweigh this disadvantage? Also, do you drive and do you wear your red lenses for driving?

But I can only do so much - please - if you know of any researchers, funders, publicists, national politicians - anyone that can help - please approach them as ask them for assistance - I will be happy to liaise.

Ian - I will PM you later either today or in the next few days. I do have an idea (and actually llisa's PMed me on the same lines) which I'll follow up and bring you into. Before I saw you I was one of the sceptics. When I say I read the research, I really went into everything in detail (suddenly I find a use for all the lit searching and stat analysis lectures I've attended!!!) - unfortunatly, as you say, there is minimal research into the effects of what you do and ASDs. The best I could come up with was that the evidence was equivocal - which actually didn't worry me too much as a)the literature base for the research I'm doing is equivocal despite being vast and I've come to understand this as having all sorts of connortations and b)there is very limited research on which this equivocal statement is based hence it is not entirely unexpected. Given thatI could not get what I needed in order to make a decision from the available research, I asked various researchers/academics, incluing those in ASDs, for their opinion. Not one of them, aside from those I work closely with who would speak to me in terms of general advice and who knew the issues I faced, would be drawn to either side of the argument - they all performed perfect balancing on the fence, something I find incredibally irritating in research because, as you say,we need to go outside of our comfort zones if we are to progress. I'm going to think through this and see what options I may be able to open up to move forwards.

I suspect that part of the problem with the suggestion of the planting of 'stooges' is that (and correct me if I'm wrong here) the effects of what you do can only be experienced by people facing the issues I face - I don't think the lights for instance made any difference to llisa's perception. We all (here I mean everyone - ASD/ND/NT) perceive the world differently but assume our perception to be the norm. It is very very difficult for anyone to undersand that someone else sees/experiences things differently because they process what they are being told through their own perceptual systems and try to understand it in relation to their own experiences. In order to understand someone else's perceptions we somehow have to find a way to turn our own perceptions 'off'. It is very difficult to understand something that we do not have direct experience of and even more so to see something that doesn't altogether make sense. Science is comforting in that it allows us to explain what we see. When we see things we can't explain, we may be amazed/entertained if we knew that is what we were putting ourselves in for (as in going to see a magic show) but we are comforted in that although we don't understand what is happening, someone else (the magician) does, and that we can cope with. With work like that you are doing, and that you did with me on Monday, there seems to be something similar going on, in that I can't explain it; the difference is that the 'magician' can't fully explain it either - neither scientific 'proof' or logic allow us to comprehend the effects we see. You have hypotheses (some of which I would suggest in relation to my knowledge and my experiences make a lot of sense) but you are yet to have the research to test these hypotheses and decide whether there is sufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis.

I'll think this through and PM you but for what it's worth you've convinced me (and I'm a hard one to convince) that it's worth exploring these effects further with a larger sample.

This is what is worrying me just a little - I guess I'll have to see what it is like with the lenses. Mine will be very dark blue so I'm wondering how different everyday things will be. Would you say though that the benefits outweigh this disadvantage? Also, do you drive and do you wear your red lenses for driving?

Mumble, I would say in SOME situations the benefits outweigh the disadvantages but not in others. I always wear mine for driving but that took some adjusting, but now I'm used to them for that purpose I find them great and am now able to trust my own judgement of speed and distances much better than without them. My lenses are green (bill's are red). Sometimes I have the feeling that everything around me, including my own movements are very fast and violent, even when they are not (it's hard to explain but that's the best I can do), and when I wear the glasses in those times everything becomes calm and serene. sometimes I can't find things because everything appears to be jumbled up around me and I can't recognise objects, but if I put the glasses on then I can make out everything and usually find what I'm looking for (it would probably help if I tidied up a little more often!! :lol: If I have a head ache (which Iget frequently) often putting the glasses on is enough to cure it and so I've halved my consumption of migralieve and nurofen. However, I can't wear them when on the computer because of the colour filter seems to make some things invisible to me on the screen. I can't wear them in the supermarket (thought they'd behelpful for that) because they are too dark. I think Bill finds the exact same effect in similar situations as I do.

Hope you get yours soon and you can practice with them! I'll be interested to hear of your experience with them.

flora

What is needed is political or media help - professionals have to change and they will resist.

Research is essential - but there is a desperate need for quick intervention and it CANNOT wait until absolute proof of all effects is in place. This will take 20 years and will doom a whole generation to misery.

Things have to change - and I am very impatient, it has been far too long

Ian,

I've PM'ed you. I hope that you can find some way through these barriers. I know first-hand, as do others here, the life-changing effects of the work you do. This needs funding and I hope that someone in a position to help does help.

Mumble :)

i wonder how much this assessment and glasses costs because what flora describes about her own movements being violent is similar to myself.. i find if i turn my head too quickly i feel sick and dizzy.. might be worth me getting assessment done too..

or should i wait until i can see if im going to get assessed for AS..?

i want all the answers now.. im so impatient... :whistle:

Some questions for people (or parents of kiddies) using Ian Jordan or Ian Jordan type lenses (cause I'm confused and a little worried)

How long did it take you to adjust to wearing them?

Did you experience sickness (actual vomiting :sick:) dizziness, uncontrollable shiverring or increased headaches when you first used them?

Did you experience a feeling of 'tightness' around your head, especially jaws and eyes (sorry, don't know how else to describe it)?

Did you have a problem with seeing your 'normal' (i.e. the one the lenses are designed to correct) below and to the side of your lenses resulting in the two images overlaying each other?

Does anything change in your environment that could be dangerous and how do you deal with it - for instance I can't see the red man on pedestrian crossings and I nearly got run over this evening because I simply didn't see the red car against the dark (I felt it though :()

I don't want this to sound negative - there are many, many positives - my world is now like a constant 3D IMAX movie - depth is amazing - Tower Bridge and the skyscrapers in Docklands were fantastic, faces are amazing (noses come in some very interesting shapes don't they? - most are much bigger than I ever thought they were), looking at faces doesn't hurt and I can do eye-contact (though I don't think people realise because the lenses are so dark people can't actually see my eyes).

It's just that at the moment, the sick/dizzy/headache thing is really horrible and making me a miserable person. I know it's something to do with the glasses because when I take them off it goes very rapidly but comes back when I put them on again. I've persevered and kept them on today hoping the sickness would go but it hasn't and it's affecting my appetite - I haven't eaten much today because it makes me feel ill - I'm currently sitting next to a large bar of choccy and even the thought of eating it makes the sickness worse :sick::(

>:D<<'> Mumble >:D<<'>

I'm sure Ian will have some advice for you.

I got varifocals this time last year & that was bad enough so can only imagine the adjustment needed for yours. I thought I'd never get used to them.

I don't have coloured lenses, but I do wear glasses. When I replace the lenses I go get aching in my eyes and head for a day or two. The bigger the change, the longer it takes to adjust. Each pair tends to be a slightly different shape and you end up with a slightly different field of vision each time. This is confusing, but I do get used to it after a couple of days. It's quite noticeable to me because my sight without glasses is really poor. I've never had the two overlaying, but hopefully that will resolve itself as you adjust to only looking at things through the lenses and shut out the rest.

You're obviously having a problem seeing red things. You might just need to lift them to check for red cars or the red man (or you could wear them on the end of your nose and look over the top :lol: ).

I would contact Ian & explain the symptoms you are experiencing so that he can advise. Perhaps it may be better to refrain from wearing them until you receive further advice from Ian, and especially outdoors , near roads etc.

The techniques we are pioneering constitute a paradigm shift, and that puts everybody outside their "comfort zone". There is tremendous opposition from academics and professionals - I have even been accused of fraud by an optical professional after a demonstration of gait modification at a conference - he said what I did could not be possible - therefore I must have "planted a stooge" for demonstration in the audience. I have been investigated twice - yes we do supply a much higher number of tinted lenses through the NHS - but it is not us that prescribe too many..... A psychologist in a local LEA is now threatening to report me to my professional body as I have had the temerity to criticise the LEA and its teacher training. However, I am not concerned - the best defence is that the comments were the truth!

Galileo MkII

As said in private mesage - I need to discuss to make sure that they are OK

Phone Friday - I am away tomorrow

Ooops :oops: Note to self - don't wear glasses when sorting washing into whites and colours to go in the machine :rolleyes: It's a good thing I like blue clothes :lol:

Edited by Mumble

How's it going now you've had a few more days to get used to them? (Apart from the blue clothes, that is) :lol:

Blue clothes are good :thumbs:

Otherwise, outside during the day they're fantastic - it costs me more to take the train than the bus to uni but I've been going by train cause I get to go past all the skyscrapers in Canary Wharf and I love being able to see them in 3D - one of the problems of seeing 'depth' though is that it's suddenly much further for me to walk to Sainsbury's!! :lol: Also, outside, during the day, I don't need to wait for the green man to cross the road because I can trust my judgement of how far away the cars actually are - saves a lot of time and people getting stroppy with me for waiting. Transport is much better because I can tolerate touch - so being packed into the bus/train isn't as much of an issue as it was - it means I don't have to plan everything around being able to travel off-peak. Walking through crowds and around obstacles is hugely improved - you never know my sis may even get me to Oxford Street at Christmas at this rate - or maybe not :unsure:

But I am having problems indoors and outside in lower light. I'm still very shiverry and have the 'tightness' thing going on and a bit icky :sick: (though that has got a bit better). Because they're so dark it can be difficult to work with them on. Eating is very wierd but I'm getting used to it - the food's the wrong colour but the tastes are very much more distinct - I'm still not going to touch celery though!! :lol: Ian's going to try some lighter ones with me which might help with some of these probs. :thumbs:

One thing I hadn't thought was a problem but apparently is to others (although having thought about it overnight I'm really cross with the guy who said it) is that although I can now see faces really clearly :thumbs: and make eye contact easily, other people can't see my eyes so can't see I'm making eye contact and feel intimidated by not being able to see my eyes (I am a very scary person!!! :rolleyes:). I think the right metaphor is "socks on the other foot now" :unsure: !!!! I dunno what to do about this - they help me enourmously but essentially I have the same problem, just the other way around, of not having that contact with people :( I have a conference a week today (and you know how much I love and enjoy conferences) and really thought the glasses might help me (it's one of the major situations I needed help with) but now I'm a bit loath to wear them because of this guy's comment and the fact that I may actually make things harder for myself (though they feel easier, if that makes any sense? :unsure:)

EDIT: I forgot to add - Trees!!! :thumbs: I never knew all the branches and leaves were separate!!! It perhaps explains my inability to excel in art classes!! :rolleyes: Particularly now the leaves are half off, the patterns all the branches make are amazing :lol: Bit of a fractal thing going on . . . :whistle: My mathematics/nature obsession may be coming back with a vengence :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Mumble

Hiya - great to see all the positives!! :thumbs:

Re the glasses and 'the conference'...I think you should take them and wear them..

yes...some peeps won't be able to see YOUR eyes, and it 'might' make them uncomfy if they are that way inclined ...but, YOU are much more confident and comfy speaking and 'mingling' with them on.

So my inclination is that you should go with what works for you this time round...you know Ians working on a lighter pair for you which may assist with others seeing your eyes...but I think it;'s more important that people hear you speak and interact...as oppsed to seeing yr eyes.

You can always say 'sorry you can't see my eyes, hope that doesn't make you uncomfy'

I think about time you put your self first with your needs and see the difference in that sort of situation >:D<<'>

Wow. I am still amazed at what a huge difference they have made to you.

It reminds me a bit of when I got my first glasses aged 10, after struggling with blind-as-a-batness for years. I couldn't stop LOOKING at things - I remember looking at tree leaves too, & I couldnt stop reading street signs.

Seems to be helping with flexibility too? The green man? A friend of ours at uni (we are now convinced aspie) used to do the waiting thing when it was clearly safe to cross, maybe looking back he had the same problem with judging distance etc. We just thought it was a "rules" thing.

Its a pity you can't have a reactolite version, like my varifocals - they go dark in seconds outside then lighten up once I'm in.

llisa is right about the eye contact - if you had to wear them cos you were blind, like Stevie Wonder, no one would bother. Yes it can be disconcerting not to see someone's eyes, but some peeps wear shades indoors just to look cool. You really need them so they'll have to get used to it. You could always peer over the top of them periodically to reassure them.

Celery? Yeuchhh.

Hope the problems pass Mumble. Our ds had no side effects from his coloured lenses, and our eldest dd refused to wear any glasses, as she didn't like how they felt on her face, so can't comment because they are still sat in their box in our cupboard. Sounds like there have been so many positives, so chuffed :)

I have dark green glasses and at the moment I only use them for reading (black and white) does anyone know if there is any reson why I couldnt wear these all the time as when I wear them the world seems calmer if this makes sence. I havent how ever expirmented with wearing them all or more of the time! U,mmm....I thinking maybe I may try this!

Mumble how have you got on with people, I only wear mine in class so with the same people on a daily basis, how have you got on with peoples reactions towards you wearing them??

Thanks

Mumble how have you got on with people, I only wear mine in class so with the same people on a daily basis, how have you got on with peoples reactions towards you wearing them??

Stuff other people!!!! :whistle: Sorry - I'm afraid that's going to be my attitude for now - I thought about what Pearl said and it made a lot of sense. I'm not even going to try the librarian/old teacher peer over the top of the glasses look. If people have a problem it is out of ignorance and ignorance that is unlikely to change even if I try and explain so I'm not going to waste my time. I am absolutely shocked that the one person who has made a direct negative comment to me was the disability advisor in my department :wallbash:. I'm waiting till I have to see my disability witch too - I'm sure she'll have something negative to say as well particularly seeing as she, to put it politely, reckoned coloured lenses used in ASDs were <insert word of choice> and should only be used (and preferably then overlays instead of lenses) in dyslexia :wallbash: No one else has said anything direct and given that I come across 'odd' anyhow, one more thing isn't going to make a difference. Actually, I think even though they're very 'obvious' they actually make me less obvious because I can cope so much better in my environment - if that makes sense. One student (who doesn't know about my AS) even told me my glasses were 'cool'!!! :thumbs:

As to wearing yours all the time I don't know. You're probably be best asking Ian when he's around. I don't know if the way they work for dyslexia type issues is the same as for ASDs.

Remember Gary Oldman in that Dracula film? :lol:

Phwoaaar!

No actually - I wasn't old enough to watch it . . . Hence why I can't see any wrinkles in the mirror on observing the image that is apparently me . . . :whistle::devil:

Oh my :o I've just Google Imaged him so see what you were on about - aside from being different around the nose and a little further down the face than mine, his glasses are very similar - same dark blue shade :thumbs: Erm, does that make me Dracula? :unsure:

Stuff other people!!!! :whistle: Sorry - I'm afraid that's going to be my attitude for now - I thought about what Pearl said and it made a lot of sense. I'm not even going to try the librarian/old teacher peer over the top of the glasses look. If people have a problem it is out of ignorance and ignorance that is unlikely to change even if I try and explain so I'm not going to waste my time. I am absolutely shocked that the one person who has made a direct negative comment to me was the disability advisor in my department :wallbash:. I'm waiting till I have to see my disability witch too - I'm sure she'll have something negative to say as well particularly seeing as she, to put it politely, reckoned coloured lenses used in ASDs were <insert word of choice> and should only be used (and preferably then overlays instead of lenses) in dyslexia :wallbash: No one else has said anything direct and given that I come across 'odd' anyhow, one more thing isn't going to make a difference. Actually, I think even though they're very 'obvious' they actually make me less obvious because I can cope so much better in my environment - if that makes sense. One student (who doesn't know about my AS) even told me my glasses were 'cool'!!! :thumbs:

What a magnificent response! :thumbs::first::groupwave:

That is exactly the attitude to take, why on earth should other people take offence or be unsettled by something that helps you cope so much better? It'll just have to be their turn to adapt and accept instead of yours for a change.

You already know that DW's opinion should be taken in the same way as advice from an elderly aunt suffering from severe alcohol abuse and limited intellect, so she should be a breeze.

You don't have to persuade her of anything, you know the reality of the differences that the lenses are making in your perception. You should not be stressed but smug!

>:D<<'>