Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

tribunal.....final outcome

Brilliant news regarding my complaint against my LA social services department. My son will now have access to an autistic specific day service (out of County). A new, local service will be set up within the next few years (Im on the committee as an"adviser") after years of banging on. I feel completely vindicated in continuing my "crusade" and at the moment Im a very happy bunny.

I cant quite believe this is all now over and my battle with authority has left me very cynical. I tried to get help from so many sources but was continually made to feel that it was a lost cause and I should be grateful for the little help we had.

Armed only with my trusty Disability Rights Handbook and great support from family, friends (thanks Katkin) and work mates I eventually became so angry I just waded in. I contacted the Ombudsman who sent me back to go through the LA complaint procedure. I was patronised and fobbed off at stage one. Stage 2 involved a visit and report from an independant person who upheld my complaint. The Council chose to argue the findings which annoyed me so much I chose to go to Stage 3 which I covered in a previous post.

My (new!) social worker says he has never seen so many people falling over themselves to put our situation "right" and see the back of me.

I hope I dont sound too smug but I just want to give hope and encouragement to anyone out there who is having a tough time. If a middle aged, disorganised, slightly batty woman who hates confrontation can succeed then anyone can.

Well done lorry - glad things are getting sorted - but sorry you had to go through so much to get it.

I need to contact SS soon - but I keep putting it off, as I know they will not do anything.

Perhaps I should drop your name into the conversation :lol:

How could you possibly sound smug after everything you have had to go through? I salute your courage and your commitment to your son. Great news that you are now on board to help shape the new service provision. You are certainly the right person for the job. :thumbs::clap::thumbs:

Cat

That's fantastic!

Well done, not only for you and your son. Perhaps you have changed the outcome for anyone else beginning the same struggle, changed a few minds and rattled a few cages.

It's surprising how far well-focused anger will take you.

Well done - you deserve a medal for all you've been through. It takes a lot of stamina, not to mention courage, to hang on and keep fighting. :notworthy::notworthy:

I'm in the middle of a depressing and frustrating battle with our LA regarding post 16 transport - you have given me encouragement to keep going and try to change things, if not for us, maybe for others.

K x

Lorry,

I agree with middleaged, slightly batty. Not so sure about disorganized - wasn't it you who present SS with a large dossier of their volumes of correspondence, they were so disorganized they didn't know they hadn't sent a copy of the action plan. SS also didn't have copies of their letters to you - though perhaps because son's file is now so large it needs a truck to move it!! Also not sure of the hating confrontation bit. Beware small thin dark wiry women, they bite your ankles and don't let go!!

A great result though - made me smile all weekend too!

Kat

Sorry, meant to add I have learnt from this sorry affair. When child reaches transition time (yr9) start a new file and log all phone calls and precis of them and keep all letters in it. Sadly too many things have got lost along the 3 3/4 yrs of this very long road. Otherwise I think the evidence against SS would be even more damming!! Ss should not be allowed to get away with their bad practice and sadly it's only if parents can find the emotional energy and courage to challenge this that anything will change. It shouldn't be so and it grieves me to think that there are young people whose parents are unable to go through this for whatever reason who are just left with no provision. Hopefully things will change. I wonder what I'm sending my preschoolers towards sometimes! Kat