elun1

Looked after children

:wallbash::angry::angry::angry:

I am ranting raving mad about something and would really welcome other's opinions as perhaps I have it out of proportion.

My youngest ds is 6 and he is severely autistic and has accompanying severe learning difficulties, ADHD, epilepsy and dyspraxia. He sleeps very little and you have to be with him every second he is awake. He also has very challenging behaviour. Now I know this sounds negative but these are just facts about him. Although he is undoubtedly hard work he is absolutely adored by us and I just love him more than it's possible to type here. I also have an 8yr old gorgeous boy who has his own needs and has a right to have them met. Im a teacher (part time) and my dh is a shift worker. We have just started overnight respite once a fortnight (though actually it's stopped as ds is very reluctant to go - I don't know why as he has no way of telling me) but that's another problem to be dealt with. What has really really got to me is that my dh and I have been 'summoned' to a 'LOOKED AFTER CHILD' review this week !!!!!!! Yes, apparantely ds is now a 'looked after child' as he goes to overnight respite. I just find this so so hurtful. He IS looked after by me, day and night and has been for the last almost 7yrs. We have to sit round with all these so called professionals. I feel so humiliated. Am I right to or is it all out of proportion?

Thanks for listening,

Elun xx

Hi Elun >:D<<'> , I've no idea what a 'looked after child' review is or what it entails but I can fully understand your being angry and upset.

If the 'review' is just a check on how the respites going both in your opinion and if your children are happy with it, then they should definately have thought up a better name for it!

I don't think you are over reacting, but maybe (I'm hoping) reading more into what a 'looked after child review' is than what it turns out to be - if that makes sense?

The name of the review does make you think 'well hang on....I do the looking after, thanks!....so I really do understand you being angry and upset - I would be too in your shoes.

Lets hope all it is is a bad name for a progress/status check >:D<<'>

Hope it goes well >:D<<'>

Elun,

As far as I'm aware, 'looked after children' just refers to any child receiving care outside the home from social services. The trouble is that the same term applies whether the child is getting irregular respite (as in your case) or full time care in foster care because they have been removed from, for instance, an abusive situation.

If they had any concerns, it would be a 'child protection' meeting - maybe they just want to review with you why he may be reluctant and maybe suggest an alternative?

No, Elun, I don't think you have it out of proportion at all. Thinking back to my teacher training... a Looked After Child is a child who permanently or temporarily (but for a set term) lives away from his/her parents - that may be in foster care, a residential home, or with relatives other than parents. By "lives" I mean stays with for more than a night and certainly not in a respite situation. I have children under my care at school who go occasionally to respite, and these children are in no way classed as Looked After.

I think you are right to feel upset, especially as it is you who does the "looking after" and loving and worrying and caring and planning for the future. I would feel exactly the same.

Is it possible, maybe that it could be an admin error?

Definition of looked after child

http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/social...dafterchildren/

It boils down to this though

Children who are in the care of local authorities are described as 'looked-after children', under section 31 of the Children Act 1989 or under section 20 of the Children Act 1989

If your child receives overnight stays it does not mean that your child is ?in care?, but they will be classed as ?looked after? and will have regular reviews [by law] to ensure that the service provided is meeting the needs of both your child and you. So because you are having overnight respite, your Local Authority is doing the correct thing by having a LAC review

The nitty-gritty of LAC reviews are decided by each LA, but, generally, should roughly boil down to this [please remember that this is mainly referring to children under section 31/20, but encompasses overnight respite too]

What is a Looked After Children (LAC) Review?

It is a legal requirement that children who are looked after by the social services must be reviewed regularly. A LAC Review is a meeting which is held to get people together to share information and to make plans about a child's placement. The purpose of a LAC Review to make sure that the care plan for each child continues to be appropriate and that the child's needs are being met. Only a LAC Review can change the care plan. Therefore the main reason for having a LAC Review is to make sure that everything possible is being done so that the child can grow up to be healthy, happy, secure and confident.

What part do parents play with a LAC Review?

Parents almost always have an important part in any LAC Review. Most parents continue to have a high level of responsibility and influence about their child's upbringing even when they are looked after by the local authority and are not living at home. Most parents want to remain involved and informed about what is happening in the life of their child. Therefore it is important that parents attend the review and contribute to the discussion about their child.

How often are LAC Reviews held?

The first review must be held within 4 weeks after a child becomes looked after. The second review must be held within 3 months after the first review. After this all other reviews must take place within every 6 months. Reviews can be held earlier than these time periods, if necessary, and dates can be brought forward if needed.

HTH

Definition of looked after child

http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/social...dafterchildren/

It boils down to this though

Children who are in the care of local authorities are described as 'looked-after children', under section 31 of the Children Act 1989 or under section 20 of the Children Act 1989

If your child receives overnight stays it does not mean that your child is ?in care?, but they will be classed as ?looked after? and will have regular reviews [by law] to ensure that the service provided is meeting the needs of both your child and you. So because you are having overnight respite, your Local Authority is doing the correct thing by having a LAC review

The nitty-gritty of LAC reviews are decided by each LA, but, generally, should roughly boil down to this [please remember that this is mainly referring to children under section 31/20, but encompasses overnight respite too]

What is a Looked After Children (LAC) Review?

It is a legal requirement that children who are looked after by the social services must be reviewed regularly. A LAC Review is a meeting which is held to get people together to share information and to make plans about a child's placement. The purpose of a LAC Review to make sure that the care plan for each child continues to be appropriate and that the child's needs are being met. Only a LAC Review can change the care plan. Therefore the main reason for having a LAC Review is to make sure that everything possible is being done so that the child can grow up to be healthy, happy, secure and confident.

What part do parents play with a LAC Review?

Parents almost always have an important part in any LAC Review. Most parents continue to have a high level of responsibility and influence about their child's upbringing even when they are looked after by the local authority and are not living at home. Most parents want to remain involved and informed about what is happening in the life of their child. Therefore it is important that parents attend the review and contribute to the discussion about their child.

How often are LAC Reviews held?

The first review must be held within 4 weeks after a child becomes looked after. The second review must be held within 3 months after the first review. After this all other reviews must take place within every 6 months. Reviews can be held earlier than these time periods, if necessary, and dates can be brought forward if needed.

HTH

Dear Elun this is frustrating

but mrs phasmid post explains the situation ..

My trouble is that they never properly explain what they intend to do and it seems as if it is a top secret for the so called professionals or a subtle assumption that, in many cases, us parents don't need to know (or unable to understand) what it is all about.

The name is humiliating and you should point out to this and also to the lack of information about this review--

Saying this however, try not to be angry as this wont help you at all.

The best thing is to contact the person who sent you the letter tomorrow morning or asap and express your views and ask for some information on the purpose and the aim of the review and any other questions you have.

Just try to take it easy and don't let this put you off using the respite that you and your husband most need.

Take care

Pragmatic

I am afraid that this is just the 'new all improved' wording that they use these days. :tearful:

Nice to see you back Mrs P - she who is wordly wise and very knowledgeable :thumbs:

Cat

((hugs)) Elun.

I agree with some of the others, I think its just a very bad name for the review. However I dont think you are overreacting at all. I would feel exactly the same if I had to do to a meeting of that name!!

Lynne x

Elun, I had exactly the same issues about this name for the review when I went to one about my son's respite a few weeks ago.

It really seemed to put my back up, the fact that he was lumped under the same heading as children who were in the care system - my social worker told me if I wanted the respite, this was something I would just have to put up with once every 6 months! :tearful:

I guess it's just the crazy way they categorise us our kids!

Hope your reveiw goes smoothly and that they come up with some ways to make him more settled and eager to go there >:D<<'>

Nikki.

I worked for soc. services over 20 years ago and back then chilldren who had respite care were kept on a separate list, the children's act in 1989 changed everything and any child who had some 'care' became a 'Looked After' child. I always felt the term to be completely misleading so don't worry that you're over reacting. Just shows that new isn't always better. Take care

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Thanks everyone

I personally feel there should be a separate list for children with disabilities and they shouldn't all be stuck together on the one and it really sticks in my throat to go there tomorrow. I am absoultely dreading it but it really does help to know that others here understand that it is so hurtful that he is classed as a 'looked after' child. I will be making that point tomorrow but must try not to cry as I know that won't do any good but even thinking about it makes me feel like that. I have tried so hard not to ask for help and it really feels like you're having your face rubbed in it when you do

Thanks >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Elun xxx

There's no harm telling them how you feel about this "label"

Be strong Hun and I hope the meeting goes well.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

No, Elun, I don't think you have it out of proportion at all. Thinking back to my teacher training... a Looked After Child is a child who permanently or temporarily (but for a set term) lives away from his/her parents - that may be in foster care, a residential home, or with relatives other than parents. By "lives" I mean stays with for more than a night and certainly not in a respite situation. I have children under my care at school who go occasionally to respite, and these children are in no way classed as Looked After.

I think you are right to feel upset, especially as it is you who does the "looking after" and loving and worrying and caring and planning for the future. I would feel exactly the same.

Is it possible, maybe that it could be an admin error?

Sorry, was wrong. I checked it out today at work. The reason the kids I have at school are not classed as "looked after" is because it is a local charity that provides the respite, not the LA. So it does just boil down to what you call it... or what it is labelled by the jargon-mongers.

Still dont think you're over-reacting though, hon... would have felt the same myself.

This situation arouse for me today, I was presented with the paperwork to fill in for a childs LAC review. I was totally surprised by it, I knew he had a social worker but didn't know he was a LAC. It appears he occasionally goes to respite, amybe for 2 nights every three months or so, and for this reason is classed as LAC, seems all wrong to me

Hi I think you have a point here that the fact he recieves respite its reguarded as a LAC and it shouldnt, it could be called respite review or carers break but not looked after child, what about ringing the Carers services and see if there is anything that can be done to get this changed, when I look throw Js meetings they have been called agency meetings, not LAC and he has recieved Respite and a voluntary two week respite once in the early days, but by G never again, he now does not go to any respite services, at all.

our reviews are mams.

multi agancy meetings.

JsMum

My view on this type of labelling is that it is probably down to financial reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if more money is available for SS if they have more children in the 'looked after' category. Cynical, moi?

I agree that it is an inappropriate term for families who are just accessing respite care.