oxgirl

We're going to get thrown off transport!

The two parents of the children who share a taxi with Jay have complained that it's having to pick them up too early because Jay is now using the taxi. So, they're going to throw Jay off the taxi. There is one other taxi going from our town that has three children on it already. They say Jay either has to go on that or I'll have to just take him myself. This taxi proposes to pick Jay up at 7.15! He doesn't need to be there until 8.45, so that's an hour and a half journey and it's 'take it or leave it'. It's so unfair. If the other parents were allowed to say their taxi was too early, why doesn't the same apply to my lad when he'd be picked up over half an hour earlier than they were complaining about. I really can't fight anymore, I haven't the energy. They win. :(

~ Mel ~

Oh Oxgirl this terrible.

But please don't give up now. Call the transport coordinator and explain all these points and stick your son's right. If the other parents keep complaining its the coordinator problem to solve this and if things come to worst they should get a separate taxi for your son. Basically they are discriminating against your son-- it is alright for him to be too early but it isn't alright for other kids.. this is completely unfair.

Take care

Pragmatic

Oh Oxgirl this terrible.

But please don't give up now. Call the transport coordinator and explain all these points and stick your son's right. If the other parents keep complaining its the coordinator problem to solve this and if things come to worst they should get a separate taxi for your son. Basically they are discriminating against your son-- it is alright for him to be too early but it isn't alright for other kids.. this is completely unfair.

Take care

Pragmatic

This is disgusting!

Oxgirl can I ask why your son was given the taxi as a form of transport in the first place? Have his needs changed? I would speak to the transport manager and ask him who has carried out a risk assessment for the change of transport for your son.

I would definately get some advie too, IPSEA took my transport problem to them and it only took one letter from them in the end. Disability discrimination is serious and our children have to be transported safely. If our kids are at risk because of their dissability, then transport has to be adjusted. It makes me so angry that our kids are messed around like this. We don't 'want' anything extra than kids without difficulties, it's a necessity, my daughter would love to e able to travel on the bus, we ask for these things because our kids need them.

I would definitely ring up IPSEA for advice Oxgirl, and don't give up. In the short term if you have to take your child make sure you write them and tell them that you are having to do it under duress and I would then bill them (not that you'll get the money)

Good luck!

Anne

this is a disgrace your son cannot be expected to leave the house at 7.15am what on earth is wrong with these people :wallbash: I agree with annea i would get onto the ipsea. As if you dont have enough to deal with, its just not on >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Brooke

Outrageous!!

I'm not too sure but I was always led to believe that there was an upper limit on the amount of time a child was expected to travel.

Fight your corner Oxgirl, the other two parents fought theres and they came up with a solution best for them so you fight yours until they come up with the right solution for your lad. If they can do it for one child they can do it for yours. Try to get ds school involved too a wordf from the HT might help.

good luck

Tilly

Outrageous!!

I'm not too sure but I was always led to believe that there was an upper limit on the amount of time a child was expected to travel.

Goverrnment guidance suggests maximum travelling time of 45 mins for primary age children, and 75 mins for secondary.

I agree with the others - contact IPSEA and get advice on this. You sound as though the whole situation is grinding you down and you could do with some support. Sometimes a well directed complaint is all it takes to get things sorted out. It's worth a try.

As you know we are fighting a transport battle too, so I sympathise. >:D<<'>

K x

That is so not on!!! How dare they? :tearful:

I hope you can find the strength to fight this Mel. They are counting on the possibility that you'll just carry on driving him as always.

flora >:D<<'>

Mel,

I know its hard Mel, so many things to battle against, you end up loosing the will to fight. Its is not fair and its certainly not right that these other parents are bullying and intimidating you. Please try and stick it out until the Christmas holidays then re charge your batteries and prepare to fight again, not only is it your son's right to have transport but it gives you a couple of monrings valuable time to yourself and you should be able to use this without constantly worrying about him travelling to school. The others have given good advice re Ipsea get some help and always remember we are here for you.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Mel, this situation is totally unacceptable. I agree with what others have said, that you must complain! Call the transport people on Monay and ask them directly to provide suitable transport for Jay and explain to them that 7.15 is not an acceptable option because he gets to school feeling too tired so he can't learn well. Also tell them that you can't drive him to school, full stop.

Good luck!

Curra

Hi

It's so hard having to fight all the time, but if we as parents don't fight for our kids, no one else will. I know how it feels to have constant worries and it seems like one situation after another arises and I do run out of steam every now and again. Take a short rest, have a drink, go shopping - something to held recharge your batteries. Don't give up!

Caroline.

Thanks everyone. >:D<<'> The next journey Jay is due to take in the taxi is Tuesday morning. I'm expecting an email or telephone call on Monday to tell me they won't be coming for him and we'll have to go on the earlier one or lump it. I'll let you know what happens. :(

Had another email from the other mum Friday night as well. She insists on blaming me for the problems she's having. She's complaining that she has to get her son up earlier but what she doesn't realize is that if Jay can't use this taxi then we'll have to get him up half an hour earlier than that! Apparently, it's okay for us though. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Oh Mel - >:D<<'> this is so ###### awful and unfair!! :wallbash: I know you must be worn out with it all but please have some time out (quickly :rolleyes: ) and re gather yourself and fight them about this! It's just wrong! Do you think the magic words 'MP' would help here? Maybe worth a go. And maybe the 'other mum' has shouted louder than you so far - so time to get the mega phone out love!

Good luck - luv Witsend.

Thanks Bagpuss. >:D<<'> The other mother forwarded me an email yesterday from the LEA telling her that a request for separate transport for Jay was being put forward and the panel will review it next Tuesday. We should know by Wednesday what their decision is. :o

The LEA haven't said anything to me about it, though. :blink:

We'll wait and see and cross our fingers. :pray:

~ Mel ~

Well he is entitled to transport so they should provide him with it >:D<<'> I really hope it works out Mel it can get so stressful cant it :(

Thanks Bagpuss. >:D<<'> The other mother forwarded me an email yesterday from the LEA telling her that a request for separate transport for Jay was being put forward and the panel will review it next Tuesday. We should know by Wednesday what their decision is. :o

The LEA haven't said anything to me about it, though. :blink:

We'll wait and see and cross our fingers. :pray:

~ Mel ~

What a disgrace, informing the other mum about decisions relating to J....and not saying a word to you :shame:

Good luck, let us know when you hear >:D<<'>

What a disgrace, informing the other mum about decisions relating to J....and not saying a word to you :shame:

Absolutely!!! How dare they tell someone else what they're considering doing for YOUR son, without informing you??!! :o

We're behind you all the way!

Lizzie :angry:

Thanks guys for the support, fell like I could really do with some at the mo. :tearful:>:D<<'> If we get turned down then we'll have to put him on the one leaving at 7.15 or I'll just have to do it myself for the next however many years. :( I'll let ya know what they say, if they bother to inform me, of course!

~ Mel ~

Thanks guys for the support, fell like I could really do with some at the mo. :tearful:>:D<<'> If we get turned down then we'll have to put him on the one leaving at 7.15 or I'll just have to do it myself for the next however many years. :( I'll let ya know what they say, if they bother to inform me, of course!

~ Mel ~

:wallbash: Ask the other mum...I am sure she will know.

Mel,

As far as the LEA is concerned, they haven't informed you at all, so you could phone them to ask about your request for transport and not wait until next Wednesday!

Good luck!

Curra