sesley

school concerts

Are your young people taking part or are they excluded because of whatever reason? my son has done afternoon today and has so far coped well, i told him it would be llike when he volunteered for the Singing Kettle,and he starts to say his name and where he lives like they asked on the stage,so i said it won't be like that you will just be singing :band: and: :clap: afterwards,can you cope with that in school so far so good: :thumbs: we are watching tomorrow evening the school said they didn't have anyone availabe during the evening to supervise him,luckily older bro said he can look after him in the classroom. :robot:

Unfortunately my ds#1 (8 with AS) hasn't been able to cope with the singing in his play so has spent rehearsals reading a book and isn't in it at all.

Even more unfortunately I still have to go and watch the darn thing even though he's not in it at all as he'll kick off if other people have parents in school and he doesn't!

It's on twice - I am not going to watch my son read a book twice (trying to keep my resolve!)

Ds isn't involved in panto this year, but they annually go to the catheral (where the original Omen was filmed ek)

and spend an hour up there singing. Luckily a LA is going with him, to try and keep him together bless!

Unfortunately my ds#1 (8 with AS) hasn't been able to cope with the singing in his play so has spent rehearsals reading a book and isn't in it at all.

Even more unfortunately I still have to go and watch the darn thing even though he's not in it at all as he'll kick off if other people have parents in school and he doesn't!

Hi

J has also refused to take part due to the singing as it's far to noisy, and he can't cope if things get too loud, plus he says there is going to be too many people there and he'll get too crowded. Everytime rehearsals are on he runs a mile, so he sits with the ta and makes his own xmas cards.

I'm quite lucky in a way coz, I don't have to go watch as it is a ticket only play.

KA x x

j had his first one this afternoon. apart from looking around the room alot, refusing to have cotton wool put on his mask and his bum hanging out the top of his trousers :unsure: it went ok till.................... he got home. although he isnt ranting about the play hes annoyed with everythimg else. I am so dreading tomorrow night as it starts at 6.30pm and his routine is bed at 6 and read till 7 :tearful: but he wants to go so.................. we will wait and see

well tonight was the night :wub: he sat when supposed to and sort of sung when he was supposed to,and at the end he rushed up to me with "I did it" :wub: what a :star: and hugged me :wub: and i told him how proud of him i was and he was looking for us in the audience . When they did there thing he went off to the class room with :) his brother and DS thingy.

Edited by sesley

When I was at primary and secondary school I always had to do minor roles in concerts/plays etc because it was too 'risky' probably to include me at the front, or as the main character. It didnt phase me much that this took place. School concerts were never the most thrilling thing for me to perform in!

My son took part this year and he did very well. He did some singing and did his dancing with his partner, i am so proud! He was a bit restless towards the end and kept on asking his teacher when it was going to end, but all in all he did great!

C (diagnosed Aspergers only 3 weeks ago)did his first Nativity on Friday (hes 4) and although i wanted to feel so proud i actually feel heartbroken.

Its the first time i've really seen him with all his classmates and all the others did beautifully: sat still knew exactly what to do etc etc. Charlie had a teacher sit with him the whole time, he was yapping bouncing around, licking and sniffing his crown (he was a king) and basically was totally hyper. When he had to go on stage he basically threw the gold at baby jesus (did have a little snigger then) and tried to run into the crowd. His teacher had to sit on the stage with him as he was stamping and shouting when they sang we wish you a merry christmas at the end. He was a nightmare for the rest of the day and told me he hated it and would never do it again. I know Charlie well and he'll remember hes said that so i'm thinking he won't be doing it next year!

I suppose it gave me a wake up call that yes he has AS and maybe it was like seeing him through other people's eyes.

Sorry, i'm rambling but i feel so sad, when hes like that i just want to keep him home where hes safe and happiest but i know that would be no good for him. You probably all know how i feel.

Thanks for listening.

You probably all know how i feel.

Yes we do love. >:D<<'> though for me it was always sports days that brought it home.

Check out my thread on JP's christmas fun at work, & take heart. I would never have believed when he was 4 that he would come on so well.

my dd is a reindeer in the christmas show this year.

this is the first time since nursery thar she has done anything(new school this year).

She is saying part of the poem 'twas the night before christmas on her own and then all the reindeers say the end bit together.

She is Cupid and has been practising for weeks, the teacher has given her lots of praise and she is really looking forward to it.

There are two shows and i have tickets for the tuesday evening and i am so excited.

Nic

Hi Pearl,

just read your other thread. Sounds like he had a great time, you must feel so proud of these acheivements.

I'm not even thinking about the future at the mo, too busy with 4 and 2 year olds to think about anything, prob not a bad thing!!

xxxx

Just thought it might encourage you. Your little un sounds sooo much like JP at 4, they are all different & some do better than JP, some worse, but they ALL progress so take heart. >:D<<'>

You have definately encouraged me.

You sound very 'together' and calm, although i would imagine you've had a lot of hard work and stress over the years.

I don't really know anyone with ASD children so its VERY good to talk on here!!!

Thanks

x

My 6 yo non-verbal little monster/treasure (depending on what mood he is in) took part in his school nativity last week. He is in a unit attached to a main stream and the unit children join in the infant nativity. They all had different parts and each had an adult with them helping. They all coped really well and looked happy. My son sat next to his teacher while waiting for his part. She kept him happy by letting him play with his bouncy ball while he sat there. When a quiet bit of the play was happening he was noisy (he makes a loud noise a bit like a gibbon), when they were singing he shut up because he enjoyed listening. He certainly let the audience know he was there. He was a star and had to lead the Wise mens procession all round the hall around the back of the audience and back to the stage while wearing an enormous silver star that was almost as big as he was. He was completely happy and relaxed throughout but I am sure he hadn't a clue what was going on. Mummy was very proud though.

I was worried J wouldn't cope this year, but was told that he had an "angel" to look after him. I couldn't see him as I was at the opposite end of the hall, but found him after and he seemed OK. However, his behaviour at home has improved since the school play was over, so I know the thought of being in the play was worrying him. Little one had his first nativity - only 15 mins long and he just sat there in complete shock! He can't talk or sing - so his part was just looking cute :wub:

J seems to be much better in general this year - actually managed panto without a problem , though same couldn't be said about little one (freaked out a couple of times!!)

My son is due to sing tomorrow at his school, we all have our fingers crossed, because if he does it will be the first time ever... the suspense, is immense !

>:D<<'> I shall be thinking of you.Karen.