Kathryn

Bizarre cat behaviour - now I've seen everything

Our old cat died a few months ago, and we are waiting till after Christmas to look for another cat. In the meantime, a little visitor has taken it upon himself to fill the gap. He visits us every day and presumably goes back home in between: he's well looked after. He's black, just out of kittenhood but still young, with a purr which reverberates around the house long before you see him. After our old lady it's wierd to see an energetic teenage cat around the place.

He's cute but has one disturbing habit though - he's stealing our socks!

Son saw him disappear through the cat flap clutching a rolled up pair he'd taken from upstairs. We couldn't quite believe it until he came back next day, went upstairs and came down with another sock. He also attempted to take a pair of dh's (clean!) underpants. Tonight I rugby tackled him as he was trying to make out of the cat flap with yet another sock.

Where is he taking them?? And what else has he taken that we don't know about? Will I find the contents of my underwear drawer strewn around the neighbourhood?

I have lived with cats for a long time but never known one with a sock fetish!

Our old cat died a few months ago, and we are waiting till after Christmas to look for another cat. In the meantime, a little visitor has taken it upon himself to fill the gap. He visits us every day and presumably goes back home in between: he's well looked after. He's black, just out of kittenhood but still young, with a purr which reverberates around the house long before you see him. After our old lady it's wierd to see an energetic teenage cat around the place.

Son saw him disappear through the cat flap clutching a rolled up pair he'd taken from upstairs. We couldn't quite believe it until he came back next day, went upstairs and came down with another sock. He also attempted to take a pair of dh's (clean!) underpants. Tonight I rugby tackled him as he was trying to make out of the cat flap with yet another sock.

Where is he taking them?? And what else has he taken that we don't know about? Will I find the contents of my underwear drawer strewn around the neighbourhood?

That is so funny. I bet you have neighbours wondering why they keep finding strange socks and underpants on the doorstep!

Its her hunting instinct! My little one steals socks (she's a very petite dark brown burmese - you dont live near me do you? LOL) and always has done. My best friend is a vet, and she said that in some cats the instinct to hunt and chew is very strong, and they dont get that with cat food obviously, so they fix on something else.

The only way for us to change it would have been to start giving her mice from the pet shop. We chose just to keep her away from the laundry as much as possible!!

Lynne x

Hope they're clean ones!

Yes, he seems to go for the neatly rolled up ones in the drawers and those that have fallen out of the clean laundry basket. :lol: He hasn't started rooting through the dirty washing - yet. :unsure:

Interesting to hear that other cats do it too. The cats I've had before have usually just gone for the genuine article, like voles or birds. If he was our cat we could get cat toys, but I don't want to encourage him to come round too much as he obviously has a home.

I suppose we ought to lock the cat flap really and not let him in - bunch of softies that we are! :rolleyes:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

We havent put a cat flap in yet, as its a new place we have to wait a while before we hack the back door to bits.

But I know what you mean, if we leave Ds' sock drawer open, (the cats live in here when they arent out, in fear of being licked by the doggie), there are socks ALL over the place, it looks like world war has gone on!

Bless, cats are soooo sweet :D

Mine prefers dirty ones, but she just rolls over and over in them, doesn't actually carry them off anywhere.

I do know people who's cats bring them stuff. Someone I know wakes up surrounded by rubbish as her cat raids the bin and brings her the contents while she sleeps! It's to do with the hunting instinct, but it goes a little awry and they miss out the chasing and killing bit, and progress straight onto the taking it home bit. It's a gesture of love, but unfortunately not aimed at you.

Your new cat will need to feel reassured that his home is his territory and his alone. Having another cat coming in could be really unsettling for him. You probably should be discouraging him from coming in. I would not be too happy if I knew someone was letting my cat into their house.

Hi Kathryn,

From my experience as you can never judge a cat by its size. The 'he' is a 'she' possibly been abandoned and s expecting a litter of kittens, she is building a safe warm spot to have the kittens. Being in the uk its cold thats why she is taking socks.

We have currawongs take coat hangers :lol: and socks too. So there is an answer to this madness.

Recently an abandonded teenage cat half the size of mine had its second litter of kittens and placed them in an urn on my front door step. I fed for 3 weeks and eventually Animal Welfare provided traps to catch them and mum, they will prepare them for new homes eventually. Remember my post five kittens sitting in a tree there is a photo.

Sounds like Santa has come early. My kids were besotted as you can imagine. My cat let them take over her front yard and would observe them from the roof in awe. She is precious and lives up to her name 'Angel' :)

:robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

My prediction

love

Fx

Your new cat will need to feel reassured that his home is his territory and his alone. Having another cat coming in could be really unsettling for him. You probably should be discouraging him from coming in. I would not be too happy if I knew someone was letting my cat into their house.

You're absolutely right. L is desperate for a cat and keeps encouraging this one. We don't feed it though. When we're away over Christmas we'll lock the cat flaps. If it carries on I'll try and contact the owners.

From my experience as you can never judge a cat by its size. The 'he' is a 'she' possibly been abandoned and s expecting a litter of kittens, she is building a safe warm spot to have the kittens. Being in the uk its cold thats why she is taking socks.

She looks a bit too well looked after to be abandoned and has a collar with a tag on. I think she lives in a house on our street but I'm not sure exactly where. :unsure:

K x

This tale (or should I say, tail?) has a funny ending. Just before Christmas I picked up our local free paper to see the cat and owner staring at me from the front page, along with a selection of clearly recogniseable socks, and an article in which the owner described how her cat kept coming home with a pair of socks and that she now had a bagful of them and had tried to trace where they came from. There was an email address to contact her, so I did, and discovered that she lived on our road. She came round to return the socks, and we had a good laugh about it. Yet another article appeared in the paper last week, detailing the happy outcome and quoting my version of events.

Since we went away at Christmas, we locked the flaps and we haven't seen the cat since. We miss her, but it's the kindest thing to do really, to break her of the habit in preparation for when we get another cat. :(:rolleyes:

K x

This tale (or should I say, tail?) has a funny ending. Just before Christmas I picked up our local free paper to see the cat and owner staring at me from the front page, along with a selection of clearly recogniseable socks, and an article in which the owner described how her cat kept coming home with a pair of socks and that she now had a bagful of them and had tried to trace where they came from. There was an email address to contact her, so I did, and discovered that she lived on our road. She came round to return the socks, and we had a good laugh about it. Yet another article appeared in the paper last week, detailing the happy outcome and quoting my version of events.

Since we went away at Christmas, we locked the flaps and we haven't seen the cat since. We miss her, but it's the kindest thing to do really, to break her of the habit in preparation for when we get another cat. :(:rolleyes:

K x

You need to read a children's book by Lynley Dodd called 'Slinky Malinki' It's the fictional version of what happened to you.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51M3...59L._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Bard

When do you think you will get another cat?

We visited the RSPCA centre today and had a look. They didn't really have any cats that will suit us, so w'll go back as they're expecting more soon. We want two, which means we can't take a single cat who doesn't like company, and they must be shorthair as dh and L are slightly allergic. So we'll go back again.

Bard - I remember Slinki Malinki but I don't think I ever actually read it - it's one of the few my children never owned! I'll have to look out for it in the library.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

I love this story, will need to let my daughter read it later she will really laugh her socks off (sorry)

nic

Six Dinner Sid was one of our favourites - same principle only with food.

Got that one too. Due to B and cats being mutually obsessed with one another, we have many cat-based books.

The only part of The Golden Compass that he hated was when the girl's daemon was being beaten up whilst in the form of a cat. Small children being tormented, polar bears fighting no problem. One small feline on the losing end of a fight... :tearful:

Hi K >:D<<'>

The end to your sock saga is hilarious 'front page news' :lol:

Good luck with new cat search I love my Moggie but wish I had a little pooch to run along the beach with, my cat would have a hernia if we brought a dog home. :)

I used to have a chocolate burmese and a grey blue burmese they were personality plus gosh they were funny and cute. Moggies are a real dissappointment after having Burmese but on the upside less demanding of attention .

They love baths my chocolate one jumped on my lap as my floaty brushed the side of the pool and sat on my stomach and fell asleep drifting around the pool with me. I must find the photo you have to see it to believe it.

My moggie enjoys her bath but hisses a bit and scares me a bit as she is unpredictable. Burmese never bite or hiss and are much more affectionate. :)

Frangi, I love Burmese and the sock stealing cat is part Burmese, apparently.

Got that one too. Due to B and cats being mutually obsessed with one another, we have many cat-based books.

The only part of The Golden Compass that he hated was when the girl's daemon was being beaten up whilst in the form of a cat. Small children being tormented, polar bears fighting no problem. One small feline on the losing end of a fight... :tearful:

The best cat books I remember from my childhood:

Thomasina - Paul Gallico

Jennie - Paul Gallico

Nine Lives - Lloyd Alexander (now republished with another title - don't you just hate it when they do that??) I'm trying to track it down so my children can read it- it was a real favourite of mine.

K x

Edited by Kathryn