pearl

Thrifty Thread!!!

Its funny I'd been thinking the same thing when I read Baggys post, it would be good to pool our ideas & experience.

OK I'll start us off....

I have just found out that if you leave your microwave plugged in & switched on it is nothing more than an expensive clock which costs around �50 a year to run. I only turn mine on now when using it, it doesnt lose its memory or anything & nothing scary has happened. :thumbs:

I've just switched mine off :thumbs:

My tip......use your library :lol::lol: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm always horribly predictable :D

I don't know if I dare post this next bit, BD is lurking me thinks...but hey ho, here goes :ph34r:

Start thinking about Xmas......get to the sales, go online, buy your cards, tags, wrapping paper, cut up your old cards to make tags, if you will need a new tree, buy it now, they are half price at the mo, as are decorations, table wear, and you can get some gorgeous pressies, lots of bargains to be had :thumbs:

:thumbs: Our whole tight fisted family recycles christmas cards as gift tags. One year, SIL & I exchanged presents ... with the SAME gift tag cut out of the SAME bit of two identical old christmas cards.... *cue x files music*

Now what are the chances, I ask you?

Don't waste money throwing away expensive leftovers

Wait until the supermarkets doing a 'buy one get one free' offer and throw away the free leftovers!

Don't waste money on an expensive sleeping tablets

just read baddads old posts,you will be asleep in no time :thumbs:

Its funny I'd been thinking the same thing when I read Baggys post, it would be good to pool our ideas & experience.

OK I'll start us off....

I have just found out that if you leave your microwave plugged in & switched on it is nothing more than an expensive clock which costs around �50 a year to run. I only turn mine on now when using it, it doesnt lose its memory or anything & nothing scary has happened. :thumbs:

just turned mine off too :thumbs:

Don't waste money on an expensive sleeping tablets

listen to folk music

Heres one just for you (and me) BD

post less drivel & save electricity :D

If you've got a fan oven, ignore recipe instructions that say preheat your oven, it heats up at warp speed anyway. We never do, & we're still alive.

Heres one just for you (and me) BD

post less drivel & save electricity :D

Got to disagree, had a HORRIBLE DAY at work, then came home and read this.

Read BD's fallenovertheedge threads and save money on expensive therapy. Thank you for making me laugh, and post on, OGB. :thumbs:>:D<<'>

Edited by Bard

Don't waste gas by cooking nice healthy meals

HAVE A CURRY 'COS IT's FRIDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Guess where i'm going......

L&P

BD

PS: I've come up with about 50 possible's for OGB, and none of them are very nice :shame::lol:

PS: I've come up with about 50 possible's for OGB, and none of them are very nice :shame::lol:

Can we have a 101 OGB's thread? My mind in now working overtime when it's supposed to be proper working . . .

I'm saving my hoover from wear and tear.... i'm on the forum instead :D

Same goes for the iron.... the washing machine..... etc....etc......

I'm a very good girlie - (snigger) - i always turn things off at the plug. It drives my friends crackers. One spent twenty minutes trying to figure out why the tv wouldn't work :lol::whistle: .

Baggy -

save money on expensive epileptic delapidatory diplodi dapil

hair removing creams

Grow a beard!!! :o

:lol::lol: Nah, DH gets angry, because my goatee is better than his :whistle:

Value brands are often (but not always) the same as regular brands. If the labels say the same ingredients I give them a try. Made a big mistake with value porrige oats though, they were extended with wheat flour & the porrige was like artex :sick:

I've been buying alot of value brands lately, havn't seen much difference yet in taste etc, but it's certainly cut my weekly shopping bill down.

Edited by Bagpuss

Some of the electrics in my bros room are on a type of intelligent socket (have forgotten the technical name but can probably find it if anyone is interested). There is a control socket on the adaptor and then two sockets for extension leads. When the control socket has a large amount of power flowing to it (I.E. a PC that is powered or in our case an AV amp) it turns on the extension leads and powers them. When it is turned off the extensions are turned off. This means that you can just have one device on standby instead of all of them (and saves you having to access the socket to turn everything off). It seems to work really well though does confuse visitors to our house at times.

Made a big mistake with value porrige oats though, they were extended with wheat flour & the porrige was like artex :sick:

They're good for crumble (about the one thing I can cook) topping though because of that fact. :eat:

Does anyone have a simple marinade recipe for chicken?

I've decided to cut back in other areas so I can get free range happy ones (this was before all last weeks progs but they certainly helped my resolve) so that means I cant get the chicken breasts ready to cook in a marinade.

I made a scene in T*sc* yesterday as they had just ONE free range chicken, too big for me. I'd have thought theyd have stocked up after all the progs but no. Old geezer piled in to support me too! :thumbs: Left them a strongly worded note with request for reply. JP is so proud of me!

Edited by pearl

Chicken breasts of course :oops:

:clap: :clap:

my dads one when un wrapping christmas presents save the paper , iron and re use next year.

and the best one save ALL boxes from christmas presents and the ones that are played with for one day put back in boxes and save also for next year. :wacko: and he does

Thankyou Baggy :notworthy: that should improve my breasts :lol:

This is going to sound really really tight .... but if you decant cartons of fresh orange juice into a fridge jug, you can add about an inch of water & no one notices. Better for the teeth too.

I,m a mucky wotsit.......outside alot and me hands get very very dirty..........and feel very rough.So to give them a really good clean I pour a tablespoon of olive oil and a good spoon of sugar into the palms of my hands and rub .It works really well at getting the ingrained muck off.Is less dehydrating than soap and the oil leaves your hands feeling really soft.Try it its brill!

..........and you can,t beat a good old BOGOFF offer at the shops.......I,m a sucker for a buy one get one free :rolleyes:

If you are on benefits its worth checking out grants from your local authority. We got free loft & cavity wall insulation on the strength of JP's DLA. We didnt qualify for a new boiler grant as the householder had to be in receipt & he gets it in his own right now, BUT my old mum qualifies as she gets Attendance Allowance, so I've just applied for her. She should get �900 towards a new one. :thumbs: