rocketgob

DLA forms!

Well I could offer you a box of matches.... :lol:

But I think it might better if you look at one of the pinned threads on DLA, I used that to help me and its got some good links too. My best advice is to include everything and make sure you keep a copy.

Good luck :thumbs:

Clare x x x

Always compare the child to another child of the same age. So you write in bullet points everything you have to do for your child, and write a sentance explaining other children of the same age are more independant or need less help, or dont suffer pain etc.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/eservice/#

You can complete it online now, which saves all the writing - but don't do as I did, which was to fill it in, leave it a few weeks over Christmas (because I couldn't face festive or otherwise DLA at the time) and then return to find it had been archived. Once archived you can't get it back, even if you plead with the online support people.

So I've had to start again .....

Always paint the worst picture, use examples of your really bad days, and KEEP A COPY!!!! good luck, you havent got anyting else to to today have you?

I recently applied for my twos dLa using the online way it was quick and easy and you can save the draft. but dont do what I did and forget the password :unsure: I printed and saved a copy of the form to my pc = when i submitted it I then photocopies documentation and sent that along with copy of the form. I gave them as much supporting evidence as possible, we all have mountains of paperwork on our kids, just give them as much as you can. Alot of the questions are jut repeated its boring but doing it online was much quicker and you can cut and paste if you have repeated questions.

They are a nightmare. but do try to paint the worse ever day possible and use that as a basis for all your answers.

good luck

Edited by CarolJ

Hi rocketgob -

The downloadable guide (walkthrough) on this site makes the whole process far more understandable and much MUCH easier:

http://www.bhas.org.uk/

There's a similar guide from NAS (i think) and definitely links to it about the forum somewhere, but i've temporarily lost 'em and am a bit pushed right now! This one should do the job though :)

L&P

BD

National Austistic Society have great information on DLA as so do the Contact A Family, I did mine on pdf and I was able to go to it for a brief time and save that way I could really concentrate on the spersific difficulties and attend to J as and when so if he interupted me it didnt matter, I carried a note book and pen and detailed any behaviours, supervision, assistance, supported with communication when in certain situations, that way I could jot a few key words and then fill in the rest later when on the computer, that way it was more individual to Js life, and portraying a more realistic situation.

I know that NAS are now supporting parents with DLA forms as it can be very difficult to really be precise with the information, J had never been entitled to the mobility Allowance, yet he had no road awareness, became disorintated, needed restraining if he placed himself at risk, became challenging because of a change of surroundings, needed supervision and assistance when outdoors, so even though nothing had changed before we just hadnt achknowledge the difficulty when outdoors.

we where able to be more spersific and he was awarded his mobility allowance even though he can walk(well run) he needs supervision, assistance, and he is at risk if outdoors alone so mobility is not nessasarily about a physical impairment, it can be a behavioural, communication, difficulty too.

I placed just as many positives about J as I did about his disability and all the things we have placed into our lives to help him and explained why we do it, to support and help him.

I ensured that they got to know every bit of his life and by the end they had his biography, its emotionally draining but its his right to have his needs met and this does that.

I did it a bit at a time, not rushing it.

GOOD LUCK

JsMum

Edited by JsMum