Tally

And another thing . . .

My cat likes to keep me on my toes. Just recently she has started having these 'episodes.' It has happened 3 times now. It happens when she is asleep. All of a sudden, she will lift her head and look around, miaowing loudly (she miaows extremely rarely, and only when distressed), and her pupils are dilated. Except that she doesn't seem to be aware of anything around her, me talking to her or me approaching her, doesn't seem to be looking at anything in particular. I know that cats see things differently and she may be seeing something I can't, but her whole demeanor is different to usual. Am fairly sure she is completely unconscious.

It lasts a few seconds, and then all of a sudden she "snaps back" to normality, but seems a bit confused. It's difficult to comfort her because she doesn't really like to be touched. I just sit with her and talk to her quietly, and it seems to help. Then she goes back to sleep.

I am taking her to the vet about it, but I don't think there's anything we reasonably can/should do at this stage. Not really sure what the point is in taking her to the vet, but it feels like the right thing to do.

No, you haven't made me feel worse. I thought I was being silly to jump to that conclusion.

I did think it was nightmares the first time, so I tried to wake her, but couldn't - she is normally extremely alert, even when asleep.

Edited by Tally

I wonder what it is? At least the vet will be able to check if there's any physical cause i.e. pain or discomfort, causing the waking.

K x

Yes animals can have epilepsy, but this doesn't sound like it.

See a vet, but does sound like nightmares....you don't say how old she is, could she have an eye problem?

We are going to the vet this morning.

Will probably give me more questions than answers, but it has to be the right place to start!

She is fast asleep at the moment. In her dreams, she is a big lion!

Well, we are back from the vet. Mitzi is very cross with me and is hiding. I am going to leave her to it, and then find her a nice treat for her lunch.

The vet said it definitely sounds like something neurological, and that can be caused by something in the brain like epilepsy or a brain tumour, or something systemic, in the body, particularly the liver. So she had a blood test. I helped hold her down. She wasn't terribly co operative. She jumped every time he put the needle in, so poor Mitzi ended up with 3 holes in her neck, but that's nothing compared to the amount of holes she's put in me! We should get the results early next week. He expects they will come back normal, but at least then we can rule things out, and maybe we will find something treatable. He said we could do an MRI scan, but they are hugely expensive, and then you probably can't do anything if it does detect an issue.

He told me what to do when it happens, which is, reassuringly, exactly what I have been doing. If it gets worse I've to bring her back, otherwise we just wait for the blood test results.

Tally do you have vet insurance ? If you do don't rule out the scan and treatment...although I hope it will not be needed. >:D<<'> Karen.

No, I don't have insurance, but there are simply no treatment options if it did turn out to be a brain tumour.

I'm hoping it's either a treatable issue or epilepsy that won't get any worse. I don't think Mitzi's even that bothered! She does seem a bit upset for a minute or two, but mostly she seems completely unaware of it.

Mitzi was 6 when I adopted her, and I felt that there was time to work with her so that she would recover from the abuse in time to enjoy a few happy years, as my other cat has. She can be so horrible, but I have bonded with her through working so hard with her.

She has been very cross with me today, but she sat on my lap just now, so I think she has forgiven me :)

No, I don't have insurance, but there are simply no treatment options if it did turn out to be a brain tumour.

I'm hoping it's either a treatable issue or epilepsy that won't get any worse. I don't think Mitzi's even that bothered! She does seem a bit upset for a minute or two, but mostly she seems completely unaware of it.

Mitzi was 6 when I adopted her, and I felt that there was time to work with her so that she would recover from the abuse in time to enjoy a few happy years, as my other cat has. She can be so horrible, but I have bonded with her through working so hard with her.

She has been very cross with me today, but she sat on my lap just now, so I think she has forgiven me :)

I met a friends cat the other day - he has had a brain tumour for over a year now and seems fine at the moment. Not sure how they are treating it. Cats are very resiliant though arn't they. Good luck with the results. We adore our 2 cats so know how you must feel.

Oh and just a silly thing- I saw an offer on the recycling group the other day for a "cat chopping board". i was horrified until dh explained it meant a chopping board with a picture of a cat on it :shame::wub::lol: