Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

Advanced speech?

My mum is visiting and we were talking about my childhood again and we got on to the topic of speech. She said to me that I had advanced speech and was talking like an adult by the age of 2, had a thing for memorising numbers and was more interested in adults than children. I wondered if this was normal? Apparently talking with me was incredibly boring as I used really long words and sentences by 15months.

Guest Lya of the Nox

yes tis normal

if i am correct in thinking ( someone will correct me if i wrong lol) that can be the major difference with autism and aspergers

kids with aspegers follow milestones ok and kids with autism are more obvious in their behaviours, and people seek advice and help earlier, pre school whereas it takes a bit longer to diag aspergers, and even worse in girls, but i have to say always knew there was 'something going on' with meggzie

Sounds about right to me Lya -

Someone will come along and correct me now :lol: - but from what i've learnt, lang and commumication within ASDs is summit like this......... (with each on the spectrum being different...)

* Communicates needs by crying/screaming

* Takes others hand to area of need

* Uses gestures

* Verbal skills developing

* Formal communicative speech - pragmatics poor

It's a tricky one - because my son had fantastic speech at a very young age - but it was / is mostly parrot fashion. His receptive language is still under the third percentile. But to speak to him - you would think he was managing fine...

My verbal language didn't develop intil i was six at least - but i can remember hearing, and understanding, most of what my brother said to me at three - i just didn't have the vocabulary to respond...........

:wacko::lol:

* Communicates needs by crying

That's about where I am :(:lol:

I've looked into this recently, actually and had a conversation about it with an OGB. Basically, in HFA there is a history of language delay, which there isn't in AS. If speech is advanced, then generally it wouldn't be delayed, but as Smiley's post clearly shows, there can be speech which appears normal/non-delayed (if delay is only taken to mean not happening till later) but is delayed in terms of the development of 'normal' language/pragmatics/semantics/etc.

I appeared to have 'normal' speech as a child and originally at my dx this is what my Mum reported, but further investigation has suggested 'oddities'. I didn't speak much at all (though could), had (and still have) discrimination/pronunciation difficulties in that particular words I can't say differently - for instance I say all the words Paul, pull and pool exactly the same and cannot make any difference between them (that's just one example - most I'm not aware of), couldn't say some words at all and so substituted them for different words - but I was/am so good at this it often isn't noticed or comes across as 'cute', used a 'weird' vocabulary, and lots more besides.

Oh, well would the fact that my son had very little speech until four mean that he leans to HFA instead of AS, one of his diagnostic features for his paediatrician was his complet lack of prosody.

Anna

Hiya all

Charlie has very good speech, long words etc but very monotone voice and a lot of stock phrases. He has also started mixing his words up lately - spoon is cup and sock is shoe and also his sentence structure has gone as well - he puts words in the wrong order - this has happened in the last 2 weeks :huh: He also has an obsession with numbers but couldnt care less about letters LOL

His initial diagnosis was HFA.

'Advanced' speech can be a bit if a misnomer. Often this advanced speech can be the wholesale memorising and recounting of entire phrases or sentences, but in many cases the child does not fully understand them or use them appropriately. This can cause difficulty because the apparently extensive vocabulary can lead to people who interact with the child assuming that the childs communication skills are ahead of his or her peers when the child actually has significant difficulities with communication that are being masked by the 'advanced' speech.

Simon

Hi, my ds had speach delay and I first thought he was deaf!!!!His speach was very delayed and he would point or drag you you to what he wanted..his speach developed at around three and almost every thing he said was repeated.He still has very little spontaneous speach and quotes from tv and books. He also repeats adverts lots.. Tesco every litttle helps!!He is very bright but has lots of difficulties. He now speaks like a well educated little old man! Most of what he says is nonsence but said very beautfuly. He uses long complicated sentenses but has very little understanding.

Ds was diagnosed HFA possible as

My son started talking at 8 months and hasn't shut up since!

That's pretty much what my mum would say about me :lol: I can talk at a person way beyond the point of boredom and still not realise. :rolleyes:

That's pretty much what my mum would say about me :lol: I can talk at a person way beyond the point of boredom and still not realise. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's him! lol

Hi My son talks like an adult. he was talking in sentences by 17 mths and now at 7 uses really long words. his fav at the moment is, refurbished. he is like a little old man at times! (so loveable)

He also repeats adverts lots.. Tesco every litttle helps!!

Ds was diagnosed HFA possible as

Ha Ha, what is it with Tesco. My ds just drops in "You shop we drop" in the middle of a conversation. They must have very powerful advertising slogans. We also visit other well known supermarkets and their slogans aren't as memorable or so it seems.

DD started talking at 7 months and progressed very quickly to sentances.

People would often comment on what a good talker she is, however she has difficulties with expressive language and abstract language which can cause her anxiety as people believe she is verbally ahead of her peers when this is not always the case.

She was diagnosed HFA.

She will often use words out of context or add random words into the middle of a sentance.

Her current obsession is spelling out loud, she is fascinated with the letter sounds and will ask everyone she comes into contact how to spell everything within her sight. She makes up words to spell and will spell out road signs shop signs etc, as we are walking along.

The sweetest moment was when she was 8 mnths old and after a feed i was winding her and she burped, she then loudly said

"pardon", mum and i were in hysterics!

Ben has always had very advanced speech since he started talking.He was assessed at age 8 and had the vocabulary of the average 16-21 year old.However this can make life complicated...people do not appreciate that Ben finds Social Communication difficult because he sounds so old.Also because Ben is tall people expect him to have the maturity of a thirteen year old whereas in some ways he is more like a six year old. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Karen.

Hi My son talks like an adult. he was talking in sentences by 17 mths and now at 7 uses really long words. his fav at the moment is, refurbished. he is like a little old man at times! (so loveable)

My son did not 'babble' as children normally do when they are first learning to make sounds, and was slightly late to speak, but then began to speak suddenly in sentences. From here his vocabulary

developed very quickly, so that it was ahead by 5 yrs, but some of his pragmatics were odd. He also

had this amazing memory often talked about wth autistics, ie at four memorised whole story sections word for word from A A Milne, andat nine memorised and could cue an entire Harold Pinter sketch!

He was diagnosed as Aspergers at 9 yrs old. Also invented many highly descriptive words ( Neologisms I belive they are called) for example 'Attlepetler' for a loud van with no exhaust, and 'Himple' for a little bit of something stuck to the carpet! When he was in hospital at 9 yrs old, he wrote a list of about 70 car registrations which were either family, friends, acquaintances or just parked locally when we were shopping.

Hello,

I asked my son why he did not say sorry after he banged the table in temper. He said "I do not like the ideas that sorry communicates". Sophisticated but strange