Mumble

Back to Uni

I'm going back to uni today for the first time since everything went so wrong. I am so scared. :tearful: I'm a bit worried about other students saying 'where've you been?' (I'm just going to say 'I've been ill' which isn't a lie it's just not the whole truth :unsure: ), but I'm much more scared about facing my supervisor whom I think it would be safe to say I managed to worry him slightly by telling him how I felt - OK, so I picked the wrong person, but I needed help before I did anything silly and he was the one person I really trusted. I should have gone back last week and he cancelled on me, and now he's just giving me the silent treatment (when he knows how much a lack of communication freaks me out) - so I have no idea what he's thinking (although my overactive imagination is working overtime), what he's going to say, or how our meeting's going to go today. I'm keen to get on academically because that's the one thing that gives me some grounding and is a constant in my life - but I need guidance now to move on, and I'm worried about getting that. :(

Hiya >:D<<'>

Good luck with today, we know he's not the best communicator in the world so the most likely reason for his non communication is just 'he's been a bit thoughtless'

Just be honest today - express yr concerns, say you'd like to move on, and then get stuck into some academic speak :)

As for those who ask where you have been....you have been pretty poorly, so I see that as the truth, and no reason for you to feel like you're telling any sort of lie

Very best of luck today - once you've got in the building it will likely feel like you've never been away

Take care and speak to you later >:D<<'>

Thanks both >:D<<'>

Well I survived - just. I'm completely exhausted now - I was standing on the station waiting for my train home and could feel my legs trying to buckle under me :tearful:

Meeting went well - ish - on an academic level. We just skirted round the whole 'everything that's happened, no support, feelingsy type stuff'. Actually, no, we didn't skirt around - we blatantly ignored it ... :unsure:

Did the other students miss me? - no - they just took the opportunity whilst I was away to drink all my tea and eat my biscuits :(

Did the other students miss me? - no - they just took the opportunity whilst I was away to drink all my tea and eat my biscuits :(

Are all students just a bunch of thieves?????

:robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie: :robbie:

Are all students just a bunch of thieves?????

I think they are and I really don't get it :( I'm one of the 'worst off' (financially) students - loads of them are funded by 'Daddy' or several of the overseas students on very generous Government packages (I know this doesn't apply to all, but when I found out about some, I was shocked :o), and I manage OK to afford my own food etc., so there is absolutely no reason for them not to do the same. I really really don't understand why they do it or even how they can do it without feeling terribly guilty. I would go without rather than take even one teabag from someone else.

I think they are and I really don't get it :( I'm one of the 'worst off' (financially) students - loads of them are funded by 'Daddy' or several of the overseas students on very generous Government packages (I know this doesn't apply to all, but when I found out about some, I was shocked :o), and I manage OK to afford my own food etc., so there is absolutely no reason for them not to do the same. I really really don't understand why they do it or even how they can do it without feeling terribly guilty. I would go without rather than take even one teabag from someone else.

Maybe because they are so used to taking from 'Daddy' that extending that to someone else doesn't really mean that much to them. *shrugs shoulders*. Personally I would never take anything from someone else unless I had the ability to replace whatever it was that I took, even then I would ask permission first. I would feel edgy until I had replaced whatever it was that I had used.

Hi Mumble. I went to University, for the 1st time at the tender age of 38. Absolutely fearful of all the academics. But now I'm doing a post grad. Please talk to your' lecturers, if there is a disability advisor available, please talk to them. I learned too late, but not too late, for it to benefit me. Honestly, these people really want to see you pass and graduate. Talk to them. I have Aspergers and dyslexia and dyspraxia, and they don't just accomodate you because of your disability, they admire you, because you ghave chosen to study and move forward.

Hi Mumble

Glad to hear it went OK at university and I think the lack of discussion with your supervisor regarding the health issue is probably down to him not knowing if he should mention it or not and may have decided to not mention it unless you did?

Student life is fairly boundaryless and so the attitude generally is if its there I will take it. They never bullied up on you which was your initial fear so all around it was a fairly stress free entry back into academia.

>:D<<'> Well done for getting back to Uni, Mumble.I know how hard that must have been for you. >:D<<'> Hope the rest of it gets easier for you now.

Yup, think you've got real inner strength, Mumble, and I can only echo what others have said here. I know that at my college, most of the lecturers really do want to make things as easy as possible for those with additional needs-whether its due to an SEN, home life, illness etc. I totally agree with Gerrard, although I accept that this attitude does not exists in all unis.....

But well done on your return!

On subject of biccies, would having a kind of box that you could put stuff in and lock help? Ooh, if sumone nicked my hobnobs..... :angry:

Esther x