Sign in to follow this  
madme

Independent Travel

Son (12 AS adhd) is going on a bus for the first time today on his own. I'm really worried. He is meeting me from work. Its a direct journey and hubbie will put him on one end. He will have his mobile. Fingers crossed.

I'm sure he'll be fine, if someone is putting him on one end, what can go wrong.

I first travelled without an adult when I was 12, I was with my 14 year old sister and we travelled from Norwich to Yorkshire, changing at Peterborough! It's surprising how capable and sensible a 12 year old is when they have to be.

My son who is 14 traveled on a bus alone and i met him at a pre arranged place for the first time a month or so ago.i was so so scared but he was fine he also had a mobile phone and i phoned him twice.........was so glad to see him and he was so full of pride that hed done somehting alone.hes done it twice more since that day it gets a little easier each time for me......

He did it! All went well. Got to the place too early so went off around the shops then got bored and called me and walked to my workplace. No crossing of roads but he still did well. THink he is proud! I spent the whole day worrying!

hmm public transport buses always find can be hazardous and and consant state of survial mechanism

are trapped in confined space for "them" to get at you an attack...may not always be physcial but easy pickings for verbals...cant easily get away from the danger...Leave self prime target sittiing lone vunerable...easly snatch any belongings have on self..or throw chewing gum always 1 vs 3

and even if get off some random spot they will get off at the same stop as you to continue harrassing...whenever you leave they leave as well.

why cant people just sit in there seat and be quiet and leave others alone...why need to seek out targets

i wuld also recommed reducing the time spent waiting at bus stop to absolute miniumum....do not want to spending more than 1 miin waitign....otherwise again look easy target...timing has to be perfect

Edited by jon79

hmm public transport buses always find can be hazardous and and consant state of survial mechanism

are trapped in confined space for "them" to get at you an attack...may not always be physcial but easy pickings for verbals...cant easily get away from the danger...Leave self prime target sittiing lone vunerable...easly snatch any belongings have on self..or throw chewing gum always 1 vs 3

and even if get off some random spot they will get off at the same stop as you to continue harrassing...whenever you leave they leave as well.

why cant people just sit in there seat and be quiet and leave others alone...why need to seek out targets

i wuld also recommed reducing the time spent waiting at bus stop to absolute miniumum....do not want to spending more than 1 miin waitign....otherwise again look easy target...timing has to be perfect

ignore this mind is just racing at the moment....ignore this im over exagertating

I don't understand... :unsure:

Let me explain ...

Over the past week, I have been throwing all sorts of animal life at Clare on Facebook. In doing so, she has clearly become so swamped that she's even unsure what she herself is. Turning swiftly, she failed to notice a large cat (possibly a tiger) in front of her, but only caught sight of it's reflection in the mirror. Hence, from that moment forth, Clare came to see herself as a cat, with the fire brigade needing to be called out several times when she found herself stuck, Winnie-the-Pooh style, half way through a cat flap or up a rather large Oak tree. One day Clare the cat went out to scare the pigeons in the garden and to taunt the dog (everyone knows the dog will get told off and the cat will get the spot in front of the fire). Whilst out, she met Mr Cat. Now, Mr Cat's owners had been rather irresponsible and not taken 'him' to the vet to become an 'it', and low and behold, Clare Cat and Mr Cat, in the style of Lady and Tramp and the spaghetti sharing, began a very fast paced (in make-believe land, time is irrelevant) 'relationship' resulting in Clare Cat being 'with kittens'.

A few days passed, and Clare Cat was ready to have her kittens, but the kittens were so happy and snuggly and it was snowing at Easter outside that they decided they weren't coming out, despite Clare Cat's best efforts, in a, some would say foolish, jump over a bonfire to smoke them out, and to this day, Clare Cat is awaiting the arrival of her litter. Getting a little fed up she has been looking into ways of hurrying things along that don't involve death defying leaps and has read in "What Every New Cat Mother Should Know" that a shock, fright, or severe anxiety is the perfect way to hurry things along (not to be confused with a cure for hiccoughs - Clare Cat had already tried drinking out of the wrong side of her bowl having read the wrong book). However, Clare Cat found this advice difficult, because Mr Cat had recently started becoming very over-protective and stopping any such situation from occurring, hence she still awaits the kittens. Therefore, all Clare Cat is saying is that, were she to actually be a human named Madme whose son was going on the bus for the first time, she would have been terribly anxious, enough even to bring on the arrival of the kittens.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

*goes to check metaphor dictionary for real answer*

thats the problem with metaphors and figures of speech!!!!

First thing thats comes to mind when you said that was a load of fluffy kittens! :lol:

Good job I've heard that figure of speech before, but i thought it meant she was very happy????

anyway good news he made the journey himself! Does he have problems crossing roads??

Let me explain ...

Over the past week, I have been throwing all sorts of animal life at Clare on Facebook. In doing so, she has clearly become so swamped that she's even unsure what she herself is. Turning swiftly, she failed to notice a large cat (possibly a tiger) in front of her, but only caught sight of it's reflection in the mirror. Hence, from that moment forth, Clare came to see herself as a cat, with the fire brigade needing to be called out several times when she found herself stuck, Winnie-the-Pooh style, half way through a cat flap or up a rather large Oak tree. One day Clare the cat went out to scare the pigeons in the garden and to taunt the dog (everyone knows the dog will get told off and the cat will get the spot in front of the fire). Whilst out, she met Mr Cat. Now, Mr Cat's owners had been rather irresponsible and not taken 'him' to the vet to become an 'it', and low and behold, Clare Cat and Mr Cat, in the style of Lady and Tramp and the spaghetti sharing, began a very fast paced (in make-believe land, time is irrelevant) 'relationship' resulting in Clare Cat being 'with kittens'.

A few days passed, and Clare Cat was ready to have her kittens, but the kittens were so happy and snuggly and it was snowing at Easter outside that they decided they weren't coming out, despite Clare Cat's best efforts, in a, some would say foolish, jump over a bonfire to smoke them out, and to this day, Clare Cat is awaiting the arrival of her litter. Getting a little fed up she has been looking into ways of hurrying things along that don't involve death defying leaps and has read in "What Every New Cat Mother Should Know" that a shock, fright, or severe anxiety is the perfect way to hurry things along (not to be confused with a cure for hiccoughs - Clare Cat had already tried drinking out of the wrong side of her bowl having read the wrong book). However, Clare Cat found this advice difficult, because Mr Cat had recently started becoming very over-protective and stopping any such situation from occurring, hence she still awaits the kittens. Therefore, all Clare Cat is saying is that, were she to actually be a human named Madme whose son was going on the bus for the first time, she would have been terribly anxious, enough even to bring on the arrival of the kittens.

:unsure::unsure::unsure: unsure: :unsure::unsure:

*goes to check metaphor dictionary for real answer*

:oops: Sorry SG and anyone else I may have confused !!!

I looove Mumble's explanation far better than the dictionary metaphor version :notworthy:

As for being bombarded with animals on Facebook.....I am still struggling to throw something large and hairy back, but the sheep and cows keep coming thick and fast :o

That reminds me *goes off to check face book to see whats been lobbed at me today !!!!!*

Clare x x x

Edited by Clare63

Yes he has problems crossing the road- can't judge properly when to go so only uses crossings safely. We have been working on this for a while. He is also due to have some one-one cycle training soon to improve his road awareness.

What was interesting was that he said that he decided to stand in the end as the woman next to him was "leaning on him"! Have to say watching the news last night with more stabbings in London it does worry me that he would not know how to cope if someone started having a go at him. But I know that we just have to accept that cannot keep him in a bubble.

Yes couldn't agree more - in same situation myself - and bubble life is really tempting sometimes. But who's it for? We may feel happier in a way, knowing they're safe, but it's not really fully living, is it, for anybody.

Think it's a real milestone you've passed yesterday. Well done!!!! it's scary stuff.

My son now goes both ways on the bus to mainstream school - he's (a very young) 15 and it took the best part of five years at secondary school to get to that stage, so I know what a hurdle it can be.

Congratulations

Sarah x