Sign in to follow this  
hedders

I have recieved my letter from lea asking for our views

says they havent decided whether to go ahead with an assessment but are considering whether to do so and need our views of dd sen

Is this where you starting getting all the evidence, medical reports etc... and send it in

What types of evidence are they looking for and what have you all done

Or at this stage you just send in the form of there needs

If anyone has been declined have they provided an education provision for their child i think i come across somewhere that they can do this if they think the child doesnt need a statment

Edited by hedders

Hello hedder I have been at this stage twice and first time it was turned down but second time we got the statement. You are at the RSA stage request for statutory assessment where it's just being requested. The evidence is collected if they decide to assess. I wrote about my son's difficulties and why I thought he needed more support but remember to say that the school has done lots already because they will assess if the school has put lots of support in place already (this is why my sons first one was turned down, the LEA didn't think the school had done enough to support him).

Read through what the school have wrote and back that up with extra evidence from you and how your son struggles at home with the same problems. If you are turned down then a note in leiu is given recommending strategies for the school. In my case first time round the LEA went into school and put training in because they were shocked that the school hadn't done much and then once the school had put all the recommendations in place they put in the RSA again and we got it.

A letter could say:

name DOB

I am writing as the parent of the above child. I believe that my child needs more help than the school is able to provide. My reasons for believing that the school cannot on their own make the provision required to meet my child?s needs are detailed below.

If problems with beahviour/exclusions- ???? can face extreme pressure just going to school and he is becoming more stressed coping with the demands of school and showing a state of displeasure more frequently in the classroom

Say something that has supported and worked (I said something that worked at home with alot of imput)- This has taken time and patients, but I believe this shows ????? can progress and with the much-needed additional effort and funds, a school setting can provide ????? with the assistance he needs to flourish.

Mention social interaction, lack of understanding/communication-basically all the barriers your child faces at school.

???? needs an appropriate education and support, which will help him to reach his potential. It is my opinion that the school cannot meet ????? needs although they have put many strategies into place; his needs are greater than they can provide. ?????? needs more support to be able to understand social situations, understand and manage his emotions and behaviour. I look to you to give ????? the support he needs to become a ??????? depending on his problems.

This was simialr to my second letter, I also sent in my original first letter with this so I didn't repeat my self. Write as much as you can to support your case.

If they decide to assess you will have the option to write parental advice which is about early child development/health/sleeping/eating etc but the LEA will send you a form on what they want.

Hope this helps X

The reply form asks for

parental views,

profesionals involved

strengths and diffculties

learning, interests, communication including speech and language, relationships etc...

You have 29 days from the date of this letter to let us have your views

This is my plan

fill in the form

send all my letters and replies about my concerns since reception yr including lots of diary info ( i spent 2yrs fighting the school to support my dd needs) school havent followed sen code of pratice got head teacher stating nothing was wrong

Medical reports stating her diffculties

letters from support parents over the years giving me adivce also contains evidence of phone call discussions about dd emotional state

This yr she has been identifed as having SEN so i can add some info on what help she getting ? dont know much school wont tell us but is making little progress

IPSEA said we had a strong case that the school refused to listen to us got letters of proof

so i intended of sending everything in a file to them, even if we get turned down they will have recorded evidence now

And also a description why school and school action plus wouldnt benefit dd

Its a massive file and i thought on the front i photocopy a few quotes from sen code of pratice

They would at least have all the evidence since she started school if they choose to refuse- but i do hope that at first they would get her school records to see her progress

and attainment levels and then sack them all !! only kidding

Edited by hedders

i sent all the medical reports and school stuff with a letter outlining why i thought he needed extra support and photocopied it 3 times . One for the initial form, one for the actual statement eveidence and one for my records.

Hi hedders.

I am going to contradict what I suggested last week. :whistle:

When we requested a Statutary Assesment for Ben the LEA only asked for detailed information from us once the Pre-assessment panel had agreed to assess.

However in your case it looks as though the LEA are looking at parental views before deciding whether to assess...so it would be worthwhile submitting everything that might be helful now.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=250

This thread provides some information regarding the sort of information to include.

I used a very similar list and worked through the questions.Karen.

>>And also a description why school and school action plus wouldnt benefit dd>>

I wouldn't mention this, as a child is supposed to be on SA+ before they look at giving a statement. I would leave it up to the LEA to work out what the school has not done.

>>Its a massive file and i thought on the front i photocopy a few quotes from sen code of pratice>>

That might put their backs up a bit - why not put a photo of your child on it instead?

thanks for the useful advice and the link to thread just read it

Paragragh about not putting in any critism about head teacher

I sorted out the file of documents and letters i got diary info of telephone conversations with head telling me that she would never countersign any thing which showed up in dds assessment

Also comments from senco in meetings that my dd will outgrow her diffculties and her personnal comments about children with disabiltites, and that the head had meetings with slt before dd was assessed telling her that i had high expections

Should i take them out???

OMG :crying::tearful::rolleyes:

I have been up all night typing parental views

I have removed all the negative stuff doesnt look as good now, but that thread was really useful ive got lots of copies of her writing at home so included that and with my description of child at school, i put the school have been very supportive and listened to our concerns who have tried different stratagies in class. Erin writing is always presented neatly and we understand the amount of additional support she recieves with sentence formulation which she struggles at home when working alone. Her writing is awful cant even read it.

Any other useful tips

Edited by hedders