Sign in to follow this  
hedders

I dont think i be able to go head

Maybe im jumping the gun!!

Ive had a reply from another forum who has strongly advised me that i dont have any specfic evidence for a stat assessment, and i need the school and senco on side for a good case

I can easily write all dd diffculties no trouble there

I havent got any writen proof what they have done and tried, even the external proffessionals involved feel dd doesnt need any intervention but i do feel its because the school wont share information with them and the school paint this rosy picture all the time.

I keep on being reminded children progress at different rates and i will ailenate the school further

I feel im digging myself into this big hole

I could go down the route that the school have failed to identify her needs gots lots of evidence there?

However even though she is getting additional support the school could turn this against me and say that she is being supported and continues to make progress

???????? just dont know what to do

Is she on sa+? if she is you have a good chance.

Even if not give it ago. We did 5 years ago ok we didn't even get an assessment but now its looking bad on the school because its on record with the lea that i requested extra help and the school said he didn't need it and then didn't tell me they had him on sa+ for the next 5 years!!!. They were shocking and now they are taking all the glory but lea have put them back in their place.

Edited by rach04

Hedders.It is true that it is more difficult to get the LEA to agree to do a Statutary Assessment if you do not have clear evidence of specific support at School action and School Action Plus.However it is not impossible.

Ben went from having virtually no input at all to a full time Statement.Admitedly our case was helped by the fact he had deteriorated emotionally and was exhibiting challenging behaviour but we did get a Statement none the less,

Was it you that said elsewhere on the Forum that IPSEA had advised you you had a case.If so then they are very much the experts......

The other question is whether in not challenging the school's opinion you would be allowing them to continue to not provide appropriate support in order to keep school and SENCO on side.

It is worth thinking about what is the worst that would happen if you do apply and are turned down.

In terms of the process you can still reaply after Six months...so it is not a once and for all thing.

I do not want to influence you as it is your decision.However I would add that the HT at Ben's school [there was an acting SENCO covering] did not recognise that Ben had SEN at all .

You may need to work harder to demonstrate a case for Statutary Assessment but it is not impossible.Although I know it is very stressful. :) Karen.

I thought I would add that at least if you apply you will show the school and LEA that you are serious about your concerns.You would also have documentary evidence that you voiced your concerns..that the LEA will have if yoou need to reaply.Karen.

True what is the worst that can happen?

I dont know what she is on they wont tell us

I know that she recieves extra adult support and teaching her through hands on activities (differentiation) i dont think she is on school action + even though she is under slt and pead they havent put in any stratagies as the school kept telling them she doing so well

To be on school action or action + arent the school to inform parents

Also can she recieve this additional support but doesnt necessary mean she needs to be on school action as the school could imply all the children recieve extra support

I spoke to head ed psy and said they wont give us her school records he is going to send someone in to find out what is happening- said they cant refuse

Also said that he wont let the school know that i have informed him she is on 1b he wants to see what they say

Hedders I agree with Karen. We had a similar situation. The school denied the level of SEN and said that we would never get a statement. The day we got it I removed my son from the school- it had been a battle and they had no intention of ever putting it into place with any goodwill ( the HT said as much in a meeting with me- it was her school and I had no right to know anything!) So we got a statement without any school help- although he went to an after school club and the manager gave us a statement which supported us. We had to go to tribunal and his old HT gave evidence against us but we won despite her and the schools lies. In reality we should have moved schools much earlier as sometimes its not worth putting up with a situation thinking that it may get better. If Ipsea think you have a case then its worth going for it but bear in mind that it may be necessary to go to tribunal. Evidence is the key- probably your own reports. In our case we were lucky as the NHS were in the main helpful and disgusted at the way the school behaved. I think the key issue was that the NHS people who supported us were not those who would have to implement the statement- ie his OT was at a different hospital and so not part of the team who usually gave evidence to help the LEA! Cynical- you bet! It was v stressful but it has been worth it. If you don't feel up to going to tribunal then you can always re-apply in 6 months. Good luck

Hi Hedders

You could try involving your school's SEN govenor, they are resposible for ensuring SEN policies and procedures are carried out in accordance to the SEN code of practice.

Janey

thanks

who is the right person to identify a child with sen parents or school?

Ot said to me last yr if school wont provide speech and language intervention go to sen tribunal

Also my younger dd was referred to pead at 2yr as i felt she had alot of autistic tendencies for some reason on her 2nd assesment at 3yrs the pead scored her high for communication but the slt felt language disorder

I changed slt as the pead spoke to her because the slt changed her mind and said my dd just had odd ways

Weired thing i think the previous slt has removed all records of dd being referred to pead about my concerns and the new slt has identified that my dd has expressive language delay she has also had an assessment for language disorder waiting report

In the new slt reports there is no mention of copies sent to the pead and i had a long chat with her the other day and i honstly believe that she doesnt know dd has seen a pead ??

I never recieved the copy of dd 2nd assessment from pead how strange??

When i found out dd had expressive language delay i sent a copy to the pead- never heard anything since

Both dd are under same pead !!

just to add i have got two reports from the pead and 1st slt about younger dd having unusual behaiviour and communication

Yes i will go through with it

Edited by hedders

Dont be a pushover. Your childs needs wont just disapear so you would just be putting off an inevitability. Applying for a statement is not tied by how many times you try ie you only have one chance. You can keep applying.

Dont allow yourself to be a victim hun, the school is bullying you dnt let them :notworthy:

YES i shouldnt be a push over with school or professionals , end of the day why would they fund dd if they think they can get away with it!!

mixture of emotions feeling that yep i was right all along and preparing myself to come to terms with it all

Very diffcult having no support and the profess have turned there backs on us saying its just immaturities

end of the day i dont need a diagnosis to apply for stat assesment

Edited by hedders

True what is the worst that can happen?

I dont know what she is on they wont tell us

I know that she recieves extra adult support and teaching her through hands on activities (differentiation) i dont think she is on school action + even though she is under slt and pead they havent put in any stratagies as the school kept telling them she doing so well

To be on school action or action + arent the school to inform parents

Also can she recieve this additional support but doesnt necessary mean she needs to be on school action as the school could imply all the children recieve extra support

I spoke to head ed psy and said they wont give us her school records he is going to send someone in to find out what is happening- said they cant refuse

Also said that he wont let the school know that i have informed him she is on 1b he wants to see what they say

Hi.

My elder DS is on School Action Plus.The SENCO said that she would put any child on School Action Plus with parental agreement if input was provided by an external professional.Our DS is ahead of his peers in all subjects and needs no input on accademic subjects ....he has input from a clinical psychologist due to previous panic attacks.

I think that input from external professionals....EP,CAMHS,SALT is usually regarded as the criteria for moving a child from School Action to School Action Plus. Karen.

When J was in reception he was on school action plus this was because he had external services supporting him, I also Had to sign a form giving my permission for the proffessionals to share there information, this is law and if you havent sign anything then they shouldnt be sharing or passing over any confidential information.

If a child is on SA+ they go on the sen register, and they should be given an IEP/Behaviour action plan.

If your child has any assessments a copy must be sent to your Childs GP, you the parent and school file, I would request you see her file.

Once you submit an appeal for SENDIST for an assessment any reports, results will be available in the appendix they send, that way you can get to know her true SEN and ability.

My son was on SA+ for a long time because I placed to much trust in the SEN senco and I was a complete push over, that I must of been a laugh in there weekly SENCO meetings.

Dont let them bully you into giving up.

JsMum