ScienceGeek

Signed off sick

I've been signed off sick and given a letter to go with my extenuating circumstances form. Once again with stress and anxiety, this seems to be a re-occuring thing it always happens when I try full time work or education. I don't know why I'm upset at this, I just was a little when I read the letter. :unsure: I think part of it made me realise how much I have been struggling, with it on paper in front of me.

This is what the letter said by the way...

Dear Sirs,

I have J's verbal consent to release parts of his medical records in support of his current deferment of his course. Jack is suffering with significant anxiety at present; and is finding social situations difficult to manage. He becomes rather overwhelmed with crowds. He is also finding the pressure of completing coursework difficult at present.

He is currently awaiting assessment by the learning disability team to see if he is on the autistic spectrum.

If you require any further information; please do not hesitate to contact us.

Dr B.

Had a blood test this morning to test for everything you could think of, thyroid, blood sugar, to see wether I'm anaemic or not.

Having all the test will not help with your anxiety levels either, but are necessary to get a full picture. You have done the right thing to take a break.

>:D<<'> Hope the rest gives you a much needed boost SG. Take care of yourself and take things easy for a while. You've had a lot to cope with recently and its bound to affect the rest of your life for a while. >:D<<'>

Hi SG

You are not alone, I suffered from stress and likewise my son. He used to get so stressed he was unbearable and our way of dealing with it was to tell him it was affecting his health and the course was not that important to allow that to happen. He then would calm down because he didn't want to not do the course and he would be OK for a while.

He struggled with it but I think the thought of failing the course was a greater stress level than suffering the exams etc. I used to complain to the tutors about the pressures that the course used to put the students under and they said its what the employers want but of there is no evidence of this and for me life is stressful enough later on without adding to it unecessarily at university.

In the end he managed to survive it and getting the degrees has changed his life in terms of his self esteem etc.

Hang in if you can but then taking a break is also acceptable and don't go beating yourelf up. When I did my own course I had to give up half way through a module but eventually went back to it and passed. You are on a journey (of life) and you are just now waiting at the bus stop for the next bus.

Take care of yourself!

Kinda

Edited by Kinda

Take care of yourself >:D<<'> I find stress and anxiety become more intense when I do anything involving people...I really cannot make sense of what they do/don't mean and whether any social overtures are positive/negative etc and this makes me want to withdraw if I can't make a final decision on what people have meant :wallbash: I drive myself crazy!

dude I wouldn't worry too much . I tried to do a degree in 1999 but didn't make it past the second year. igot offered some work so I took that as it seemed an easier option at the time.I am just going back now doing a masters. I have always tended to go to the lecture and then disapear asap. I never hang about at uni. on my degree course noone even knew iwas on the course until I came in to hand in some work.has taken me a long time for me to be able to go back and I still struggle with it but a lot easier then before.if you need the break. don't bust ur balls over it as u still can go back later when you feel ready.I think its great that your actuallt going out there to attempt it. taran