Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Can anyone advise?

:( Hi Carol, what a dreadful situation.It would have helped so much if the DR had been more sympathetic, with the medical history regarding stress you would have thought he,d have been more helpful.Just a thought but a parental request for stat assess might move things in the right direction.Also from other threads on this site I understand it,s important to keep the child on the school roll.It sounds like the school want rid of thischild why else would they complain they can,t support him but refuse to request a statement.This family have all my sympathy. >:D<<'>

Carole,

Is the child known to the social services department? There are three ways to initiate a request for a statutory assessment:

*School makes the request

*Parent makes the request

*Referral by another agency - social services (although this tends to happen with the younger child, not sure if it would apply to an older child...).

There is also some information in the COP:

Assessment and emergency placements:

In exceptional cases it may be necessary to make an emergency placement for a child, for example where:

*the child's medical circumstances have changed suddenly, causing a rapid and serious deterioration in the child's health or development

*the parents, school, relevant professionals and the LEA agree that a sudden and serious deterioration in the child?s behaviour make the child's current placement untenable or unsafe

*where a child arriving unexpectedly in the LEA exhibits such significant learning difficulties as would normally warrant a Statement; the LEA should consult the parents and those immediately concerned, including the previous LEA, about the most appropriate placement

*where a young person returns home from a secure unit or young offenders institution.

The mum has the option of approaching another GP from within the practice, if the other GP declines the mum?s request for a sick note then the mum should consider changing her surgery.

Edited by Helen

Carole,

Nothing more to offer really. Mum should seek expert advice and request a statutory assessment. If the family surgery won't help, could the mum contact the paediatrician or CAMHS? If she doesn't have a social worker she should contact Social Services.

I am constantly hearing the same story about schools. I only wish I knew the answer. No one is taking any responsibility for a child's SEN these days. The LEA say it's the schools problem. The schools won't admit they have a problem and apply for an assessment, this is sometimes down to the fact that they don't think the child fulfills the LEA's criteria for assessment. Complex and lifelong difficulties don't seem to be enough anymore, some authorities have added severe to the list and that is open to interpretation!!! The words Asperger syndrome, high functioning and mild don't always add up to severe in some prefessionals eyes!!! :angry:

Good luck Carole,

Nellie xx

Just a thought, could the mother see a different GP for a second oppinion? its her legal right.

Viper.

Why is it that things always start to go severly wrong just before a school holiday????

Please let us know how things go when school starts back.

Annie

XX

I would have to agree with whats already written here. We applied for an assessment ourselves and were granted a statement. Even if they don't grant a statement they will at least have to take a close look at what the school is providing for the child.

Good luck

Hi

Sudden emergence of a place does sound interesting! However I have known children just disappear over the holidays with a letter to the school to say they have moved out of the area. Hence a place is created.

I hope this new school is better equipped to deal with this child. It amazing really that the SENCO in the other school didn't get a Education Psychologist in to observe the child. I have always understood that it was up to the SENCO to do this once School Action Plus was in place/not working.

Keep posting to let us know how it turns out.