Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGeek

The Maudsley

The local mental health team want to refer me to the maudsley in south east london, when I looked at the website I couldn't actually find anything about them diagnosing adults. I could find the department for children with PDDs, but only adult ADHD. Then someone put on livejournal about how the maudsley won't take people out of area. Does anyone have any details about it as when I rang the NAS they didn't know either... I just don't want to waste another few months chasing it up only to find another dead end.

Mod hat on:

If you've got any specific experiences of the Maudsley to share with ScienceGeek, please do so via pm.

Kathryn

Hi SG -

Are you sure it's the maudsley that won't take out of area? The NAS have an adult diagnostic centre near to the Maudsley, and that doesn't (or at least it didn't last I heard) but with a referal the Maudsley s/b fine. (?)

I may be wrong, but that was the state of play in SE London the last I heard.

:D

I'm not sure for definite, like I said it was someone on livejournal that mentioned that they didn't take out of area patients. Someone else has PM'd me to let me know that they do take out of area luckily. :thumbs:

I know of several adults who were diagnosed at the Maudsley. Unless that's changed recently, they do assess adults.

The local mental health team want to refer me to the maudsley in south east london, when I looked at the website I couldn't actually find anything about them diagnosing adults. I could find the department for children with PDDs, but only adult ADHD. Then someone put on livejournal about how the maudsley won't take people out of area. Does anyone have any details about it as when I rang the NAS they didn't know either... I just don't want to waste another few months chasing it up only to find another dead end.

I was refered to the Maudsley Hospital by my GP for my diagnosis. They do diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome in adults amongst other things.

Grrr! I am so annoyed 2 months on from when they told me they want to refer me to the maudsley and still not any closer to a referral. I saw the mental health triage person who said he knew nothing about what I was talking about and that the person in charge of my case was on leave. I rang up today as he would have been back since Monday, and there was no answer, I tried several times today and nothing. They have mucked me about so much :angry:

I'm just not sure where to go from here. Nobody seems to know what the heck they are doing here. I live in Gloucester so as close as possible to home is good, thing is it has to be NHS because I'm really poor right now :tearful: I just want to get this sorted once and for all.

Hi

I know it is a very confusing time for you right now.

Have you been in touch with the National Autistic society, because they have a directory of where you can get a assessment in your area. Try to get funding from you GP surgery and if they support you, you have a better chance to secure funding. If you get turned down do not worry they tend to turn people down but you can go to a tribunal to fight the funding, lots of people have gone down this road and won the right for funding.

Best of luck just don?t give up.

Hi

It's a really frustrating process.... my husband experienced similar problems. But with polite, persistent follow up enquiries and meetings and emails he eventually got his diagnosis and funding for some counselling.

He/we kept sane (just!) throughout the process by: keeping a record of the process; keeping a close eye on when responses should come and chasing them up quickly when they didn't; estimating that it would take at least 5 years, so if it was shorter he could be pleased (!); talking to me and asking advice - sharing the frustrations; asking for help from the professionals - what do they think would be the best way forward; contacting PALS for advice; contacting NAS; yes, being afraid to be persistent but being persistent anyway; deep breathing...

Do you have someone who you can talk to and share your frustrations with? Is there an advocacy service somewhere (NAS?) perhaps if you feel unable to deal with all the bureaucracy yourself?

Good luck - take one step at a time.

Delyth

Well it has been 2 years since I started seeking help, but only 1 year since AS was first mentioned as a possibility. I rang NAS today and they finally sent the information they said they were going to send the last 3 phonecalls. I'm going to see my GP anyway about something else so will bring up the places they recommended and see what she says. :thumbs:

Hi

Not sure if you already know but the National Autistic society directory is on there Web site.

It might save time to have a look yourself instead of waiting for the National Autistic Society to send you the information you need.

www.autism.org/autismdirectory

Let me know how you get on.

It might save time to have a look yourself instead of waiting for the National Autistic Society to send you the information you need.

They have already sent the information by e-mail yesterday :thumbs:

I phoned the NAS yesterday and they recommended the Maudsley to me. From what I understand it is the only NHS diagnostic service for adults in the whole of the country. This leads me to think that there may be a huge waiting list but I might be wrong.

I asked about the Cambridge Autistic Research Centre but was told they only take NHS referrals from their own region. That does not stop one from going private though with them.

When I asked NAS about the cost of a private diagnosis , anywhere, I was told to expect to pay anything from �100 to �1000. I asked if there was any difference with the assessments and was told that they were very much standardised.

Why there should be such a disparity in price I do not know !

Jannih

I phoned the NAS yesterday and they recommended the Maudsley to me. From what I understand it is the only NHS diagnostic service for adults in the whole of the country. This leads me to think that there may be a huge waiting list but I might be wrong.

I asked about the Cambridge Autistic Research Centre but was told they only take NHS referrals from their own region. That does not stop one from going private though with them.

When I asked NAS about the cost of a private diagnosis , anywhere, I was told to expect to pay anything from �100 to �1000. I asked if there was any difference with the assessments and was told that they were very much standardised.

Why there should be such a disparity in price I do not know !

Jannih

Hi.I am not an expert and others do know more about this than me.However I think it may be because private centers can to some extent decide on prices themselves.So some who consider that they are able to ask people to pay more can.

I think it has been said before though that it may not be necessary to go for the most expensive. :) Karen.

I've been told the waiting list at the maudsley is 10 months. I may be able to get part of the funding for private from the uni, so need to find out information on reasonable priced ones. I'm fed up of my psych saying that he is going to do stuff and then not doing so. :unsure:

When I looked into it last year, the Cambridge ARC did not take private patients as they were too busy seeing NHS ones. Since they do not charge, they are somewhat oversubscribed. You could always move to Cambridge! :lol:

There are other NHS diagnostic services for adults, but they are few and far between, so you will be in for a long waiting list I'm afraid. The NAS may have suggested the Maudlsey to you because it is the closest or most likely to see you for whatever reason.