ScienceGeek

Concentration?

I'm not entirely sure what concentration is. I've always known that I have an attention span of zilch, but it is really annoying when I'm trying to revise and I can't concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. How would you deal with this? any recommendations. I really need to get this revision done so I can pass the resits, so that I can get on to my psych course in september. :notworthy:

I used to write it out a few times the important parts until it hammer it home to my brain :lol:, or just read and read and hope it would stick.

What you need are good revision techniques!

First of all, organise your notes so that each subject is clearly divided into individual topics...if you're loving this type of thing you can colour code the different topics, just by writing the topic title on the top of each page, different colour for each topic. :clap:

Then you need to organise each topic. Each topic will have sub-headings. Bullet point the main points within each sub-heading onto a sepatarte sheet for each sub-heading...these can then be condensed down even more onto little file cards (you can buy coloured ones, so you could colour code to tie in with above! :thumbs: )

You should end up with your work organised into 3 piles: each subject: topics - topic sub-headings - file cards. Each time you are summarising the information until you have bullet points.

Depending on what kind of learner you are, it can help to write out things like formulae over and over again to learn them. Or taping thing onto an audio tape works for other people.

The main, main thing is to get your notes organised, because you can't learn/revise if everything is in a muddle. DON'T LET THIS OVERWHELM YOU!! Tell yourself you will start with one small step (e.g. just collect together all your notes on one subject). Don't think further ahead than this first step. Once you have collected your notes together, then do the next step of sorting them into topics, again not thinking about the next step. And so on...you will actually find you get more done by only thinking about one step at a time, rather than the overall task.

Once you have organised your notes as above, write a time table for each day, breaking it down into whatever time slots work for your concentration span. It's better to do 15/20 minutes of focused learning and then have a break, than an hour when you're not really concentrating.

Good luck!

Bid :)

Ok so far I've tackled my biology notes and put them in order, half of them weren't in the folder at all. It made me realise I missed less lectures than I thought! :thumbs: Next subject will be the maths/physics module. Once I've sorted the notes into the right folders, then I will break them down into subjects. B)

Anybody would think you worked in a school Bid!!

Ah ha...but I actually work in social care in the school!! ;)

No, in my previous existence pre-children I spent a year as an assistant lecturer on an MA course, and I tutored the overseas students in study/revision skills.

Sad confession: I was also the Revision Queen when it came to my own exams. I actually rather enjoyed exams! :lol:

But the sarcasm was good! :thumbs:

Bid :)

I am tragic: my own line manager at work calls me the NVQ Queen (I am an NVQ Assessor), and I am renowned for my colour-coding, folder organisation!! :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by bid

Ok so far I've tackled my biology notes and put them in order, half of them weren't in the folder at all. It made me realise I missed less lectures than I thought! :thumbs: Next subject will be the maths/physics module. Once I've sorted the notes into the right folders, then I will break them down into subjects. B)

Way to go, SG!!

Just keep at it, focusing on one step at a time :thumbs:

Bid >:D<<'>

I'm on my break at the moment so thought I would put an update on my first serious day of revision so far. I've condensed 4 weeks of lecture notes, 54 pages of A4 down to 4 sides of exercise book paper. I've also put little tags on the side of the pages at the start of each topic in my folder. Orange = Biology, Pink = Ecology :thumbs: I made a timetable last night breaking up my revision sessions into 30min slots with 15min "tea breaks" inbetween. I know the subjects I am going to revise each day and all the slots are colour coded :thumbs: Got through more revision today so far than I have in the last few weeks!! :o

I'm on my break at the moment so thought I would put an update on my first serious day of revision so far. I've condensed 4 weeks of lecture notes, 54 pages of A4 down to 4 sides of exercise book paper. I've also put little tags on the side of the pages at the start of each topic in my folder. Orange = Biology, Pink = Ecology :thumbs: I made a timetable last night breaking up my revision sessions into 30min slots with 15min "tea breaks" inbetween. I know the subjects I am going to revise each day and all the slots are colour coded :thumbs: Got through more revision today so far than I have in the last few weeks!! :o

Woop woop!! :notworthy::notworthy:

Fantastic, SG!

Bid :thumbs:

I've realised why I can't concentrate in lectures now. They are too long. At school our lessons were 45mins long and that was a struggle to concentrate in, but the lectures at uni are 2-3hrs long and if you are lucky you may get a break half way through. :wallbash: It feels like I'm learning some of this for the first time because I probably wasn't listening the first time around :whistle:

Bloomin 'eck! You're good!

Good luck with your exams :)