Sign in to follow this  
loobylou2

Should I go for it?

Opinions needed peeps! I'm currently studying from home to be a Teaching Assistant, with the view to being qualified within the next couple of months. However the schools are advertising now to start in September. I'm just over halfway through the course and have done really well so far and got good grades back. There is a secondary school 10 mins away from haome and they are advertising for a teaching Assistant now and its at the level that I am doing. Do I risk applying for it and tell them that I am doing this study but not qualified yet or do you think I should wait until I've qualified and then start to look for work? I'm just concerned that by the time I've qualified, the jobs will be taken! What do you thinkI should do?

If it were me, I'd go for it: it sounds like the perfect opportunity: will you have finished the course by September? If you don't get the job, at least you'll have had the experience of applying and maybe going for an interview, and if you establish contact with them now, they might keep you in mind if anything else came up in the future. You've nothing to lose, in my opinion.

K x

definatly apply for the job. Lots of people do this job without any previous qualifications, so you'd be in for a good chance, and even if you don't get it, as Kathryn says the interview will be good practice.

Flo' :)

Thanks folks! I'm going to hang fire until I get my next lot of results back, should be any day now. If I've done ok with that unit,( which was a stinker!! all about government strategies and policies! :wallbash: ) then i'll apply for it. As you say I've got nothing to lose really and at least the fact that I'm doing the course in my own time and off my own back should impress somebody!!! :lol:

If it's what you want, go for it right now.

Be sure and flag up your experience with ASDs as well, they need all the help that they can get..although I learnt on a course recently that the new pc acronym is ASCs

Hi, yes go for it, which school are you doing your practial training in? I have a couple of friends doing this course and they have to do a day each week at a school, perhaps its different in different areas. Enid

Hi

Go for it. You'll not be hiding anything, so let them make their minds up. Sounds ideal!

Caroline.

Got my last unit back and it was a B grade!!! :o:dance: So have sent off for an application form. Bard, what do those initials stand for? Enid, i'm doing the course as a home study course so am not with any schools, do you think I should see if I can volunteer at a local school to get some experience in? :unsure: Have done some bits at a primary school when the girls were there, helping out on school trips etc and done some nursery leading but thats about it really.

Bard, what do those initials stand for?

You could look at the name of this forum. >:D<<'> :lol:

It would be a great idea to help out in schools, I have helpers who hear readers, play number games and phonics-based games, help with fiddly art and craft work like sewing where you need a patient adult. It would give you a taster of what sort of school you would prefer to work in and with what age group.