Sign in to follow this  
baddad

The meaning of Liff

Just been re-reading this, and thought it might be fum to play the Liff game on forum...

For anyone who doesn't know - The meaning of Liff is a book by Douglas Adams/John Lloyd, and it's a dictionary of everyday(ish) things that there aren't names or descriptions for. The idea is to append a place name (i.e. Liff) to them...

A couple of examples from the book:

Didcot - the tiny, odd shaped bit of card which a ticket inspector cuts out of a ticket with his clipper for no apparent reason...

Dinder - To nod thoughtfully while someone gives you long and complex directions which you know you are never going to remember...

Scrabster - One of those dogs which has it off on your leg during tea....

Get the idea? Right, I'll start:

Marylebone - The small hole that you notice in the heel of your sock when buying new shoes.

Langton - The stick you pick up while walking that has just the right degree of swishiness for taking the heads off stinging nettles.

Gretna Green - The precise shade of luminous yellow that phlegm turns on the fifth day of a course of antibiotics prescribed for a chest infection.

Hever - The involuntary spasm that occurs when you spot specks of mould on the crust of the sandwich you are eating.

over to you...

:D

:notworthy:

Not sure I can be creative at this time in the morning but here goes:

Banbury - the last slice of cake that always remains on the plate because everyone is too polite to take it.

K x

shepshed - a hangout for nuisance youth, bus shelter etc.

Is this only for place names. I can think of many random names for things we use, but not place names.

:whistle:

Edited by Frangipani

Mimram: an elderly maiden aunt.

Boho :dance:

(Technically it's a river, but I'm allowing it 'cos I love the sound of the name!)

here's my attempt

Charring Cross - The particular annoyance you feel when someone distracts you and you burn the sausages

Wantage - When you're wishing you were 21 again

Scarborough - When a wound is thought to be almost healed, but then a deep pit of pus is found in one corner of it

Whitby - the heckling you get from strangers when you accidently walk into a lamp post

Plymouth - the cramp you get in your jaw after a particularly long session at the dentist

Tynemouth - When a person's mouth isn't big enough for the instruments a dentist wants to use

Landsend - A feeling of depression beyond the norm

Cornwall - When one's feet are really sore during a very long walk but there are still many miles to go

Challow - When you're feeling particularly relaxed with a lovely cup of tea

Haven't got time for more, but I love this game because I always do this in my head anway whenever I hear/see a place name anyway.... I never heard of the book, I'll have to go and buy it! :clap:

Flo' :D

I,m giggling here..............these are so funny :thumbs: ..........can,t think of any myself though........shall go away and try :clap:

Yay - this is going well! :thumbs::thumbs::notworthy:

I've been told there is an internet site (maybe more than one?) devoted to the meaning of Liff... no cheating please :shame::shame:

A quick few to keep things rolling:

Hucking - laughing while drinking milk so it comes out of your nose.

Brasted - Hungover, with no recollection of anything after 9.00 the evening before

Kipping's Cross - the no man's land between his and her side of the bed after a row.

Upleas - Pert breasts

Brasted Chart - Drunken antics caught on CCTV and used in a successful police prosecution.

Doddington - A small, 'floater' that demands a great deal more effort from the toddler producing it than it warrants.

A few more

Kidlington - a teenage girl who is acting like a toddler

Cowley - a particularly droopy double chin

will be back!

Flo' (I'm enjoying this :D

One of my all time fave books!!!

The one I always remember and have on a regular basis is a Woking - when you go into a room and can't remember what you went there for!!!

Maybe its because I live in Woking!!

Stella

Oslo - That depressed resigned feeling you get when you hear the Australians have won the cricket/rugby - again!

Rusholme - that sudden hurried walk you find yourself doing when you've been out for a curry and a few beers.

:)

Brimsdown: attack of the killer kebab/beer combo the next morning on a packed commuter train (and that's a true story, folks ;) )

I'm loving this thread... :notworthy: BD

Edited by bid

<Jester here ...can't seem to log on ...maybe my password has died of old age>

My Offering : Grimsby - the increasingly fraught feeling experienced during a conversation with someone really friendly about whom you can remember NO personal details...including their name!

Aghhhh... I just typed about half dozen and deleted themm instead of posting! :angry::lol:

:lol::lol: i cant even think of one,ive really not got clue what you lot talking about :blink:

Try again - :rolleyes:

Sheppton Mallet -

an exaggerated and inappropriate emotional response. A woman who bursts into tears because the shop doesn't stock a particular style of shoe in her size would be weilding the 'Sheppton mallet', as would a golfer who hefted his clubs and bag into the water hazard because he hooked his tee shot into light rough.

Weavering -

The small feint made to avoid an out-of-control toddler on a tricycle.

Cuckfield -

A narrow public footpath or country lane habitually used by dog owners as a 'bag-it-up-free' toileting area for their pets.

Faversham -

A small wooden wedge used instead of a padlock on the latch of a rabbit's cage or garden shed.

Bolsover -

A particularly large, moist and pungent variety of dog egg.

Leighton Buzzard -

Someone who sits on the stairs at a party looking miserable in the vein hope that someone will ask them what's the matter.

Feckling -

Surruptitiously easing your underwear from the crack of your bum on a very warm day.

Dunk's Green -

The small band of long grass either side of a Cuckfield on which backpackers wipe their boots clean after stepping in a Bolsover.

Runcorn -

The small, ornate brass nut that holds the top on a pepper mill.

Hucking -

Rapidly wiping your shoes in the Dunk's Green after stepping in a Bolsover.

Saddler's Wells -

A skin rash generally only found on the inner thighs of 'Horsey' young ladies. Also known as Pommel-Grannets or Jonty's Inferno.

Hello, I havent been hear for a while :robbie:

I couldnt resist :thumbs:

Glossop...Particularly malicious rumours spread by painters.

Melbury Bubb... An oversized pompom on a woolly hat.

Shellow Bowells...The bits of bread that sink to the bottom of the pond untouched by the ducks.

Hopton Wafers...The bits of biscuit that float in your coffee after dunking.

Grike...The annoying crease that you get if your not carefull when ironing.

:P

a few more

Halifax - the feeling you have when you're waiting for news and there's nothing in the post

Lowfell - when you open a really excitingly shaped christmas present and it's only socks wrapped around a soap on a rope :(

Worcester - The reckless need to drink more wine when you've already had too much

Grimsby - What you see when you look in the mirror the morning after

Flo' :D

Hickling -

futile attempts by a partisan crowd to cheer on a losing Brit at Wimbleldon as in "Come on Tim" etc..

I caught a bit of the tennis today - by 'eck that Venus Williams is all woman, isn't she? :whistle:

CHEPSTOW - A piece of folded cardboard inserted into a tramp's shoe to block a hole in the sole.

BARMING - Coughing loudly to cover the sound of a fart that won't wait any longer.

TONGE BAPCHILD - A particularly non-descript and chubby baby. A "pudding face".

SWAFFHAM - The dust at the bottom of a tea caddy.

YALDING - A number 1 buzz cut adopted exclusively to conceal male pattern baldness that fools no one.

FRIMLEY - The emotional response of a man on the first occassion that his new born baby grasps his extended finger: 'Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. He went all Frimley'...

HAYLING - The final flourish executed by an air guitarist at the end of a complex solo.

Dorking -

The act of engaging in pointless time -wasting activities on a Sunday evening to avoid thinking about the week ahead.

<Jester again>

How about 'High Wycombe' - the vicarious moral outrage expressed by really dull/ugly/past-it (or all 3) people about the behaviour of others, when you can see in their eyes that THEY would be doing it too...if only the chance arose.

eg 'The Boss was in a real High Wycombe about the office Christmas party'

and...Shepton Mallet - using the wrong tool for a job, e.g using a dinner knife instead of a screw driver.

:jester:

Edited by bid

Wankendorf

Thought that a bit riskayy so I deleted it

:ph34r::lol::oops:

Haltwhistle

A more ancient type of Sorong, a Haltwhistle describes the moment when a gust of wind lifts the kilt of a Scottish bagpipe player. With his hands full of bagpipe there is little that the player can do except hope that the gust of wind will subside fairly quickly. Haltwhistle is typically accompanied by a rise in both note and tempo of the tune being played and accounts for the moment in a Scottish dance where the laird flings a stable boy twice around his head and over the castle wall.

Edited by Frangipani

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wankendorf!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Fran, that's just ace!

Exeter: Those annoying people who come round half an hour before bedtime, play over-exciting games with your kids, then leave you to cope with the fall out 25 minutes later.

Sidmouth: the look on your face as you try not to laugh when, in an important meeting, your brain decides to turn an inocuous comment into a double entendre.

Penge: that frustrated feeling caused by not knowing where your glasses are when they're actually on top of your head.

waterlooville, bursting for a wee when there are no public conveniences nearby

Bognor, having to find a bush when you are in a waterlooville situation

Edited by Sallya

whatshole street..... when you get lost

geddinge.......the look on a teachers face at parents evening

boyden gate......teenage lad after being told he must do his room/homework

wickhambreau.....child about to have a tantram

puddington...the feeling after over indulging/ eating too much

Tewksbury - The small gobbet left on the back of your hand after coughing when miles away from the nearest hanky.

Glamorgan - A heavy jacket that appears waxed and waterproof but isn't, and actually makes you wetter by retaining water long after the rain has stopped.

Plympton - An area of trapped buttock protruding from the leg of a badly adjusted bikini bottom. The upper thigh equivelent of a muffin top or

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...st&p=220310

Pease Pottage - A yeast infection.

Whetstead - A rubber bedsheet

Beltring - A chicken that is just too large for two but not quit enough for four.

Wichling - A standard three leaf clover with one deformed leaf that looks at first glance like two.

Wormshill - A dog egg shaped like the top of a Mr Whippy cornet.

Tunstall - A piece of loose thread on your shirt front that you pick off, only to have your button fall off and roll down a drainhole.

Norton - an Irritating person who labours under the misapprehension that they are endearing or amusing.

Norton - an Irritating person who labours under the misapprehension that they are endearing or amusing.

oh i liked that one bd :clap:

:jester: Me again ... must sort out the password

How about 'Knutsford' - a bath that, when you sit in it, is not quite deep enough.

:jester: and again...

'Grangemouth' ...the feeling you get when you think you've posted something VERY funny...but no-one seems to notice! :lol:

Borden - A particularly grumpy car park attendant who takes great delight in informing you that no, he hasn't got any change.

Rodmersham - a splatter of pigeon's poo on your shoulder that everyone else can see but you can't.

Sutton Valence - An ill fitting and badly colour-matched toupe.

Padstow - A very full toddler's nappy that is at least three hours overdue.

Horsted - Tired and hungry after a marathon bout of lovemaking.

Horsted Keynes - Tired, hungry and faint after a marathon bout of lovemaking.

Shipley - Unsteady from drink

Thurnham - A thin wooden dowel used by bulemic actresses/models etc to agitate their uvula so they don't get messy fingers when they vomit.

Oh ps jester :) NTSYA! :thumbs: - if you do the 'forgotten my password' thingy on the home page admin will send you a temporary one so you can log in and change it to something you'll remember!

Hope that helps.

Edited by baddad

Thurnham - A thin wooden dowel used by bulemic actresses/models etc to agitate their uvula so they don't get messy fingers when they vomit.

Ponders End: the person who always goes just that little bit too far...

Boho :devil:

You're quite right...

Lower Didcot: the person who always goes just that little bit too far...

Edited by bid

Braxton Hicks...that uncomfortable sensation you get from a(n uber) thong :hypno:

(I know, I know it's not a place name, but wot a cracker, eh?!)

Edited by bid