Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Yeasty problem...????

Hi all,

I've noticed recently that M's breath is foul... really foul :sick: . His teeth are cleaned well morning and night & he uses a mouthwash. His teeth are perfect, nothing going on inside his mouth that looks odd.

He's also spending ages on the loo - not sore, or yucky or anything - just takes him forever (typical man i hear you all say.... :lol: ).

Anyhow, the breath, loo habits and some other things (eczema, being quite spacey etc...)have made me start to wonder if it's a gut problem.

I know our little darlings are more susceptible to gut problems - so i thought I'd ask for some advice.

What can i do to be sure it's a yeast / bacteria problem?

And, what can i do to fix it?

(Oh, and if anyone has managed to persuade their child's GP or consultant to pay for the Sunderland Urine Analysis??)

Also, if anyone knows of a good site / forum to do with ASD's and diet, could they let me know. There appear to be thousands of them :hypno: !!

Ta Muchly :D

Hi Smiley, have just received forms for sunderland test, GP wont pay for it!!! surprise surprise but have been paying into a hospital scheme for ages and they will :thumbs: My lad also has FOUL breathe :tearful: inspite of brushing teeth/mouthwash etc, and with all the many problems we have been having lately I thought I`d go the whole hog and have the test, fun isnt it >:D<<'> Enid

OK, a bit outside of my 'comfort zone' (and I'm fully prepared to be shot for this one - I'm no doubt missing something really obvious) but have you thought about something like Actimel or Yakult*? Might be an option if you're not getting anywhere with ideas for tests

I used to get really bad stomach problems (can't comment on the bad breathe - didn't discolour things when I breathed on them though so I'm assuming it wasn't a problem) but started using it daily. Now, no stomach problems.

Just a thought

* Other pro-biotic drink things also available :whistle:

Bad breath is often a sign of constipation, and you say he's taking ages in the lav...

So, first step increase fruit and veg, maybe add linseed to his cereal (this is what they do where I work as constipation can trigger epileptic seizures, so nurses/day staff obsessed with it :lol: ). I think things like Movicol need to be prescribed.

If that doesn't help, then think about GF/DF??

Bid :)

Just thought to add: is he drinking enough water throughout the day, as dehydration can also make the breath smell? Increase in fluids would also help any constipation, too.

Edited by bid

Hmmmmmmmmmmm see what you mean, but lil man is a fruit and veg lover. He drinks plenty (i know, coz i have to keep reminding him!). Very little junky type food, brown bread/pasta/etc... and doesn't seem 'bunged up' - (don't read on if your eating.....) just a bit 'sticky' / 'mucus'y'.

I haven't noticed a dramatic change when eating certain foods, have been keeping a food diary for a week or so, just to see what is going in him iyswim...

It's why i was beginning the think candida/yeastly/bacteria type problem....

TN - i make my own yoghurt (*smug!*), well...... when i say make, i mean buy packet from health food shops n bung it in yoghurt maker thingy! It's the only was i could find that was free from rubbish, and it's loaded with those friendly bacteria thingies.

TN - i make my own yoghurt (*smug!*), well...... when i say make, i mean buy packet from health food shops n bung it in yoghurt maker thingy! It's the only was i could find that was free from rubbish, and it's loaded with those friendly bacteria thingies.

Ooooooo, get you :P:lol:

(Be honest, I said I was out of my depth and would no doubt get shot :thumbs:)

OK, really gross now :sick:

Do you think he may have a solid 'plug' and then sticky 'leakage' around it?

I once read about the significance of mucus in faeces, but can't for the life of me remember. You could google it?

Also, if this is a new problem, I wonder if problems with dairy and/or gluten would surely have shown up by now?? Although we've never done GF/DF so I could be completely wrong!

I do think you are on the right track though, because once dental problems have been ruled out, bad breath is caused by something happening in the gut/bowel I'm pretty sure.

Bid :wacko:

Smiley, be prepared for the long answer i am going to give you. It may not be contsipation with your son but it sounds very similar to what my daughter went through.

My daughter suffered from constipation for years and has only now managed to stop using medicine.

I always felt it was something more than just diet that was to account for it, and was kind of right with this thinking.

Stress played a big part, and hypermobility also impacts, as did diet.

She had smelly breath, excema and headaches and lethargy and really sore stomach ache and mouth ulcers.(really quite aggressive when needing to go, then quite hyper when she managed it. consultant said the build up of toxins would affect her behaviour)

long long story short.

diet changed due to being allergic to sodium benzoate, and the excema cleared up,as did her mouth ulcers, her bowels started to improve so less headaches, stomache ache etc .

her bowels may always be sluggish, but we are now at the point of between one and three motions a week which is a record.

this led to increased energy which led to being more active and healthier appetite, less moods etc.

the diet change set off a lot of other things that have improved everything overall.

it has not been that hard to do, and has had a very positive impact on our lives.

before we knew of the sodium benzoate allergy my daughter was given every medicine under the sun for constipation and they all had sodium benzoate in them!!!!!!!! this made everything worse.

Bid is correct with the water increase, when the bowels are constipated they draw water from the rest of your body to try and help.

The mucousy stuff sound like it needs to be looked at.

Really bad but i think i could do the diet doctor thing now with how a poo should look if you are healthy...........yuk.

Good luck with finding out what is causing this with your son.

N

How many here are or have children who are on a Yeast free diet?

Ross has been yeast free since we realised that Gluten free bread was causing him problems. He does not get the usual Gluttened problems of stomach cramps, bloating and diarrhoea. Yeast directly affects his behaviour but also makes him constipated.

Anyway, at the beginning of Feb 2010, a month ago, I bought cartons of Apple juice, partially as a treat as we usually have Robinsons. After the last few weeks of a raging child who won't sleep, and has become very violent I have wracked my brains trying to find the problem - I realised it was food related but it's taken me till Sunday to work out that it is the yeast in the Apple juice. There are proven links - search the web and you'll find them.

Anyway, Ross today is happily putting his scalectrix set together, he is coping very well with things not fitting and has only growled at me once - but then stopped and actually said that I was stood in front of the TV.

A dramatic change.

I'll be watching him carefully to see what else changes over the new days, but I will have to be extra careful from now on.

Lynn

We have been giving William Candex, which attacks yeast, for the last three weeks and the change in him is remarkable. His poo is now properly formed as well! Have also been putting Epsom salts in his bath but I reckon its the Candex thats brought about the change.

WillsDad

Always had problems with yeast .The family breadmaker made it far worse.used to chef in an Italian and the piazza dough was made everyday.What I noticed that cooking in a proper piazza oven killed the yeast.Beers and especially homebrew are deadly for me.I think my stomach treats yeast like its some kind of food poisoning and rapidly gets rid of it.Bread yeast has a definite effect on my mood.