jaalka

18+ moving out of home

My 19 year old son is wanting/needing to move from Kent to London to live independently. Enquiries with the Benefit Enquiry Line has confirmed that he is eligible for housing benefit from the local authority (he's in receipt of IB/IS and DLA middle rate care, lower rate mobility) with an extra allowance to allow him to rent privately self-contained accommodation. The housing benefit can only be applied for once he is living in his accommodation. The problem he is faced with is "how does he get together the deposit/month's rent in advance"?(possibly totally �1k) There isn't the option of bank loans or parental assistance.

Is there anyone who could shed light on this dilemma? Is there any financial assistance available from the state or charities?

I would be grateful for any help and advice.

Edited by jaalka

The problem he is faced with is "how does he get together the deposit/month's rent in advance"?(possibly totally �1k)

Start saving? :unsure: Surely that's what everyone has to do? Certainly it's what I've been planning for for a long time so that I know I will be able to rent somewhere once I finish uni next year.

Does he have to live in London? Rents are notoriously high if he wants to be on his own here (I'd love to know how you're doing that - my only option would be a flat share or a really crumby bedsit if I was to stay) - could he not start off independently nearer you and then move later once his finances are more stable?

There may be some homestart grants/loans available depending on the area. Otherwise its save yourself!! Look on your local council websites as it will tell you whats available in your area and also what they will pay for certain levels of accomodation.

hi there i'm 24 i had been at college for 4years been at home for 2years and now i'm going to be getting my own place with support

good luck with the move

take care

caroline

My 19 year old son is wanting/needing to move from Kent to London to live independently. Enquiries with the Benefit Enquiry Line has confirmed that he is eligible for housing benefit from the local authority (he's in receipt of IB/IS and DLA middle rate care, lower rate mobility) with an extra allowance to allow him to rent privately self-contained accommodation. The housing benefit can only be applied for once he is living in his accommodation. The problem he is faced with is "how does he get together the deposit/month's rent in advance"?(possibly totally �1k) There isn't the option of bank loans or parental assistance.

Is there anyone who could shed light on this dilemma? Is there any financial assistance available from the state or charities?

I would be grateful for any help and advice.

Hi Jaalka

I am a bit late with this advice but as your son is on Income Supprt , he could try getting a loan from the Social Fund . There are two types of social fund loans, the Budgeting Loan which has to be paid back over time and the Community Care Grant , which doesn't. He might not be eligible for the Community Care Grant but if you don't ask you will never know. If he has been claiming IS for more than 6 months , he would be eligible for help with a Budgeting loan . Ask at your local Jobcentre for the local Social Fund telephone number .

Your son could apply to housing associations with supported housing, with keyworkers and other daily support to help with budgeting and other things, what about visiting your local mencap who may know more on housing grants, some landlords dont take DSS and so it will be very difficult, also he is a single person giving him the lowest rate of housing benefit, it maybe not enough for rent and may need to contribute if it is a private renting, Housing Associastions are much cheaper and he would get all of it paid so for a longer term plan that may work better is a housing association.

NAS may have further information on Housing information too.

CAB Also.

Goodluck.

JsMum

Hi Jaalka -

How quickly is he looking to move? If you have a few months then his DLA payments could be saved over the next quarter, unless there's anything else specific he has to spend that on.

The downside of borrowing money from the social fund etc is that it's going to be much harder to pay back once he has moved out, because his finances will be much tighter then. So if waiting and saving for three or four months is an option, it's probably a better one than moving in with a loan hanging over his head.

L&P

BD :D

also he is a single person giving him the lowest rate of housing benefit,

Also unless he can get an exemption to live on his own, he will be only entitled to Housing benefit based on him living in a bedroom in a shared house.

LHA rates