Flora

call from school

Really chuffed. Just had a call from Bill's school (head of education) to ask how his summer is going and how he is feeling about going back to school. She also said to 'send him her love and to say they are all really looking forward to seeing him again' . She told me that he will be in a class of 4 other kids and that they won't expand his class at all, and that in addition to the teacher and TA which all the classes have, they have employed an extra TA just for him to help him integrate. They are sending out packages to all the kids with their IEP, timetable, photographs of all the teachers/TA's they will have and photos of all their class mates.

I was starting to get pangs of angst about him going back and that call came just at the right time!

I've passed the message on and he said 'yes, yes, all very nice, but I really don't want to think about school until I have to' ...He has such charm, I don't know where he gets it from!! :)

Also got Ben starting secondary next week... and feel really :sick: about that.

Anybody else starting to get the jitters about the looming of the new term and particularly those with transitions?

Flo' :)

I'm getting jitters about the new term and we don't start again until the 22nd! :whistle: I know most of the teachers from last year but a few have changed. Then there will be a whole new lot of people as well, although there will be some people from last year too.

Most definately!! I dread them going back I really do!! We have had the packs with the pictures etc as well, but I don't want to think about getting them out. They don't go back til next Thursday, I shall get them out Monday maybe. My kiddies are so relaxed at the moment and so are we. We intend on making the most of this week and into the weekend before we consider the school lark!! I know the schools do their best and all that, but it really does add in a lot of extra hassles.

It's really good the school have contacted you in such a personal way. It would be good if all schools did that for children who have complex needs. Just something simple like that, would make all the difference to parents and the children.

We intend on making the most of this week and into the weekend before we consider the school lark!! I know the schools do their best and all that, but it really does add in a lot of extra hassles.

Totally agree with that Darky. I passed on the message to Bill and that's all I'll say about it until the last couple of days before he goes back... which thankfully isn't until the 8th for him.

Ben goes back next Wednesday and I will make sure he has a fun packed long weekend before I start preparing him otherwise he'll get all weepy and that will set me off!

Refreshingly my dd can't wait to go back! She loves the start of new terms because it gives her the excuse to go and buy new stationery :lol: She's starting year 11 so it's her final year of compulsory ed and that feels a bit weird for both of us.

Flo' :D

Oh Flo I am terrible when they go back to school. I hold it together until they have gone in, and then I blub buckets. I miss them so much. :tearful: We have had the best summer holidays ever this year. We have kept busy, been on holiday attended clubs, been to the parks and beach. It's been great fun. We have a big air show on down here that is from Friday right through til Sunday, so plenty to do and see. I just don't want it to end. My eldest starts yr 10. It's GCSE time for him now. It does feel weird doesn't it? They go from little boy/girl into young lady/young man in no time at all. For us this has been the first year that we have been able to do lots of these things. Speaking to other parents of children with disabilities, they feel the same. Part of me always looks forward to getting a break, but it takes me weeks to be able to get used to not having a child's hand in mine!! I feel lost!!

Don't get me started :unsure::tearful:

Absolutely bricking it.

Ben is dead keen/really up for it, but I am feeling decidedly wobbly about it all.

Keep everything crossed for me, and i'll do the same for you (and all other parents in similar straits)

ONE>>>TWO>>>THREE>>> GO!

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Don't get me started :unsure::tearful:

Absolutely bricking it.

Ben is dead keen/really up for it, but I am feeling decidedly wobbly about it all.

Keep everything crossed for me, and i'll do the same for you (and all other parents in similar straits)

ONE>>>TWO>>>THREE>>> GO!

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

:tearful:>:D<<'>

Everything here crossed that it all goes smooth as a baby's knee cap :pray: (babies knee caps are very very smooth btw !!!!!) ....edit to add that I know babies don't actually have knee caps... I was talking about the bit where their knee caps will be)

Flo' x

Edited by Flora

Count me in the blub club! :tearful:

I'm feeling similar with L starting her first mainstream college course this year (BTEC first diploma IT) and O starting secondary school. O doesn't officially have SEN but he's a bit dyspraxic and can't tie his tie or shoelaces yet. Also he's very small for his age and it's a jungle out there, isn't it. :wacko: As for L I just hope that she's equal to the much greater demands that will be placed on her this year.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> to everyone especially those whose children are going to residential school.

Perhaps we should all convene on Tuesday or Wednesday next week for a communal weep. :rolleyes:

K x

And me, My DS is going into yr 8 and he has been brill nearly all summer!! :thumbs: I was dreading the hols and that made me soooo sad as I usually love and look forward to them, but as christmas and easter hols were so appalling for me/us/him thought it would be the same. like Darky I will be blubbing :tearful: but as I work at the adjoining pre-school I get to see the two littlies at break :thumbs: The youngest seems like a baby to me as he is very small for his age, this year he will be in yr 2 and they go away for 4 days , 4 DAYS, at 6!!!!!!! not till the summer and am already dreading it. we have had a brill brill summer and are so chilled out we dont get dressed till lunchtime, dreading all the rush :tearful:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> to us all. next week we will all be on here moaning about school and teachers :lol:

next week we will all be on here moaning about school and teachers :lol:
:lol::lol::lol: Too true!! Although I am trying to chill out a little more with the school situation. Easier said than done!! :lol:

Our schools went back last week, and i can't believe the difference a week and a half has made to my daughter.

No drama.........getting up early managing the bus (with her friend) doing homework.(first time ever)

It is amazing!

We have had the odd blow out but on the whole pretty amazing.

I was worried how she would cope with big school but so far so good.

The depute head called me last wednesday to say he was aware of her needs and is also aware of the lack of support in primary school (due to previous primary school) and told me he will do all he can.

We met up with the advocate who is liaising on my daughters behalf and the biggest worry my daughter had was keeping up with work and completing her work as the teacher in math was quite fast at talking.This has already been addressed and Hayley is amazed herself at the difference.

So i guess i am saying to all who are waiting for the next session to start you never know it may be good.

Nicola

Yes, getting really stressed about next week. They're both back on Tuesday. DS2 (HFA) is starting a new class. Unfortunately, his behaviour is still causing concern, so we can only hope it will be better at school :pray:

DS2 (NT) is doing the 11+ on the 18th & 19th of September, so I'm feeling it's going to be a very interesting month!!

Best of luck to everyone for the new school year - let's hope we're all worrying over nothing :D

Our son A aged 8 started at a new school only 8 days before the end of last team after we moved to a new town. He was diagnosed AS earlier this year. The head at his new school seems to take be taking a real interest in him, on the third or fouth day she phoned at 6-30 pm to tell us how well he was doing.

I have to take him right into the school at the moment as he he finds the crush (all the kids going in together) to much. And if I am not outside the gate right on time at home time he gets very upset with me.

On the last day of team he did manage to wet him self, he needs reminding to go as he hates the noise of the hand driers and flushing toilets. In his old school when they refitted the toilets they fitted very quiet hand driers (just for him?).Toileting was a big issue for this reason when he first started school aged 4. It got so that from getting the phone call I could pick him up, bath him and be back in school in under 20 minutes. I did that most days for the first few weeks but then the school started getting someone to take him to the staff toilets and over a few months things got better,only the odd accident now and then. And with the chang in the law it ment that it was up to the school to deal with it so all I did was make sure he always had some spare cloths in he P.E. bag.

This was the first accidant for a very long time, I will remind his new teacher that A needs to be reminded to go.

I can't say that he is looking forward to going back to school, but he dose not seem to be at all bothered by the prospect.

I will give it a few days and then get on to the school head to see what support the school can/will give him.

Thats it for now. Chris54