Sign in to follow this  
Flora

Tying laces

Gaaaah.

Ben has spent the summer trying to learn how to fasten his shoe laces but he just can't do it. He is starting secondary school on Wednesday and they are very strict about uniform so he needs smart shoes without laces in size 8!!!!

None of the usual kids shoes seem to do velcro past a certain size, and certainly nobody does proper sports trainers with velcro in size 8 or beyond.

I'm trying to think of some ideas. I bought some special toggles that you can put on the laces but they don't work.

Does anyone think using strong elastic in place of the laces would be acceptable in secondary school?

Anybody else got any good ideas about this?

Flo' :D

Id have suggested slip on's.My lad will prob have this prob cos he cant do laces but thankfully got couple of years before hit that. I know asda have slip on smart black shoes at a reasonable price.

Hi.There are a few slip on smart loafers around.The more expensive traditional shoe shop that starts with C has some in I think.However we tried that style for Ben and he found them difficult to get on so it may not help.

I have spent the last two days looking for shoes for DS2 before getting some this morning so do sympathise. >:D<Karen.

managed to get him slip on men's shoes. They are quite nice, very bendy and comfortable. With trainers we had to get laces so will have to contrive something.

Flora

Hi floz , you can buy a tightly twirled elastic lace that laces up the shoe/trainer, because it is coiled it does,nt need to be l;aced upand because it is stretchy/elastic you can just slip them on, IYSWIM, most large sports shops sell them, hugs suzex :wub:

Kieran cant tie his shoes laces and when he was younger he always had velcro trainers and velcro fastening shoes when he was at school untill his feet got bigger and they are more difficult to get in large sizes ,he has tie ups now but i am the only person he says can tie them right.

zip up trainers

John, Thank you so much for posting this useful suggestion, but I've had to remove your link in line with forum rules and guide lines.... No commercial links are allowed. Thanks anyway. Flora

Edited by Flora

I'm also having this problem. My 11 year old has problems with fine motor control and I'm just realising how much it affects him now he's just started secondary. I managed to find velcro school shoes - our problem is the football boots - he will need to do these on his own in PE. He can do it in theory, but he always ties them too loosely and they come undone.

And don't even get me started on the school tie!

K x

And don't even get me started on the school tie!

K x

thats an easy one! tie the tie, stitch it, cut off the very back of the tie loop (the bit that goes round the head) and put in some elastic so he can pull it over his head. easy, safe and not embarassing, just convienient

as for laces, lace them fairly tightly with elastic, knot it up so it wont come undone and there you have it.. instant slip on shoes.

Edited by NobbyNobbs

if anyone is still having trouble finding school shoes, a certain hight street store whose name starts with N and ends in xt has boys velcro shoes and trainers at reasonable prices and about 6 different styles up to a mens size 13!!

Thanks for that, Nobby, and for the suggestions in the previous post. :)

He's now managing the tie, even when he has to change for PE, which is great.

The problem with laces is football boots - I don't think any of them come with velcro. I liked your suggestion of the elastic and I bought some but couldn't get the ends through the tiny holes. I think the elastic was too wide.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

The problem with laces is football boots - I don't think any of them come with velcro. I liked your suggestion of the elastic and I bought some but couldn't get the ends through the tiny holes. I think the elastic was too wide.

It's tricky, but you can manage this by using a largish needle with needle threader and using a bradle to widen the holes slightly as necessary (but put a small block of wood under where you're making the hole so you don't go into anything you don't want to). Just be careful that they are not too loose and be aware that you may need to re-elastic them every few months if they are worn often and the 'elastic' loses it's elasticity. Another alternative (but harder) is to sew a very wide strip of elastic (black to make it less visible) inside the boot (on the removable sole is easiest) (from one edge of the sole to the other) that the foot sits in, so even if the laces aren't tied quite tight enough, the shoe/boot still stays on.

I liked your suggestion of the elastic and I bought some but couldn't get the ends through the tiny holes. I think the elastic was too wide.

K x

Kathryn, I bought some elastice laces online. I haven't used them yet because he had a break through and I didn't want discourage it. I bought white one's, but you can get them in black too, which you'd probably need for football boots. If you were thinking you might like some let me know and I'll pm you where from.

Flo' X

Gardeners have been using elastic in the shoes for a long time, when the shows are wet and muddy you can just slip then on and of.

Kathryn, I bought some elastice laces online. I haven't used them yet because he had a break through and I didn't want discourage it. I bought white one's, but you can get them in black too, which you'd probably need for football boots. If you were thinking you might like some let me know and I'll pm you where from.

Flo' X

Yes please. :) He hasn't had to wear the boots yet and we'll persevere with the ordinary laces, but it would be good to have a back up plan.

And thanks Mumble as well. :)

K x

It also might help to try different laces. I find that flat laces hold a knot better than round ones. The laces i hate are the thick round ones on outdoor shoes as they just dont stay tied up long with me!! I can feel them work loose in about 10 minutes of walking!! :lol:

It also might help to try different laces. I find that flat laces hold a knot better than round ones. The laces i hate are the thick round ones on outdoor shoes as they just dont stay tied up long with me!! I can feel them work loose in about 10 minutes of walking!! :lol:

Have you tried double bows? ...... or super glue on the knot?

Erm wont my shoes be permenantly stuck on my feet if i glue them?? :o

I thought you wanted them to stay on? I dunno, you give someone a bit of advice and they throw it right back in your face :P:lol: :lol: